freeflyguy

Slider Malfunction

I just wanted to warn everybody about the dangerous slider malfunction I saw a student have yesterday.
Scary, but the slider actually came down the lines after the parachute opened. Happily she cut that nasty parachute away. Problem was, the slider came down on the reserve too.
Such a scary sport :)

ALmost as good as the one last year.... The JM's all go running out to talk to a student after they land under the reserve. The student was asked what was wrong with the main and why did they cutaway. The student...(thank goodness they gave up the sport)... replied "The thing flaping over my head was making more noise then the last time so i thought it was a mal" Then they proceded to chop it.....
So the lesson that we learned today was....there is a new, dangerous mal out there that all students need to know about in their first jump class. Its called "Loud, flapping slider". The correct emergency procedures are to first collapse it you if can. Other wise you need to look right,touch right, look left, pull right, FLAIL,FLAIL,FLAIL,FLAIL, pull left. That should reduce the amount of time you have to put up with the ever dangerous "Loud, Flapping slider" mal. :)Do I HAVE to do another raft dive??? :)

ROFLMAO!!! You have to wonder what goes through some of the students heads sometimes.
I witnessed a good one this year. You know how students are taught that on a windy day, if your chute is catching air to grab one toggle and pull it in?? Well, this girl was coming in for final, and when she was told (over the radio) to flare, she pulled both toggles down, then let go of one and started pulling the other one in while she was still about 5 feet in the air! :D Actually at the time, it wasn't funny because her canopy did a nice dive and landed her on her face....but she got up after about 5 minutes and said "oops!".
Tee

I had a little scare this past Sunday. I was using a Sweethog/Raider combo. I opened and it opened up about half-way. Slider came down about 1/4 of the way and the lines were twisted about 3 times. I was on jump 16, so I thought, hell.....i can handle this. I kicked out of the line twist and the slider came down about 3/4 of the way. It was at least inflated, so I pulled myself up on the risers and pulled the damn slider all the way down, but it was crumpled.
Oh well.....it worked, I stood it up again, all was well.
--------------
Check out our all-new website!

This must be common, either that or an urban legend. Because one of the JM at XKeys told me about the same exact thing happening last year where the student chopped, and noone could figure out why b/c all looked fine. When they asked him what happened, he said the slider came all the way down, not realizing that's exactly what's supposed to happen.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

Ya, I saw this girl before her jump. The Jumpmaster was rehersing Mal procedures with her. She DIDN'T find the cutaway handle at first. But looked at her shoulder. On the jump she apparently found it easy enough.
They are making her go through first jump course again, if she comes back.
Another guy a couple months ago was so proud of himself for cutting away the same nasty "slider came all the way down" malfunction. When he was picked up (after landing in the trees on his reserve) He was all gloaty. He was asked "Well, where is the slider supposed to be on a good canopy?". He thought a second then went "Ah hell, whoops!"
I do understand though. Brain fade on those first couple jumps is just about a given. Just hope it doesn't last that long. Preferabley not more than a second or two after you leave the plane.

This must be common, either that or an urban legend

I think it's actually more common than it should be. I heard about the exact same thing happening at a French DZ, this girl was crying when she landed because the reserve had the same malfunction. But *IF* you've convinced yourself that it is a malfunction, imagine your horror when you discover that the reserve has the same problem....:(
:)Ramon :)

Now, dammit people come on. There are probably a few people reading this thread who are newbies and have done the same thing or people who did it and won't say so 'cause they don't want to be harshed on by you peeps. On one of my early static line jumps I thought the slider was WAY too loud. I did not cutaway, because the parachute was "Square, Stable, and Steerable" so I figured if it was flying OK then no big deal. I did ask though when I landed and they just laughed in a nice way and said it is common for people to feel that way. They chalk it up to more awareness of what is going on around you. See, I did a tandem and like, I dunno two static lines maybe, before this happened. So I guess I never noticed before, because I was too overwhelmed by other shit!! Of course you could bring in the argument that says, well, Sis didn't cutaway because it was steerable and shit. This is true! Listen to what the JM's say...but still maybe people just freak out. Like somebody said, if you convince yourself it is a mal you are gonna panic. Skydiving DOES take a certain calm response to stressful situations...but you can't expect everyone to be cookie cutter perfect!
Be careful before you poke fun at new jumpers. That really gets me in the gonads. (well I don't have gonads but you know what I mean!!) LOL :D
Hugs, (yeah I know Sis getting all serious! WTF is going on?!)
Sis
I don't want the meaning of life, I want the experience of being alive!

"That really gets me in the gonads. (well I don't have gonads but you know what I mean!!) "
Damn I was beginning to wonder if I hadn't found out why you and Pyke are friends...LOL
"I used to know a girl...She had two pierced nipples and a black tattoo"-Everclear
Clay

Clay, that's funny! I talked to him (Pyke) today for the first time in a couple of weeks, and he asked me to quit saying he was gay. Apparently, he thinks its "old" and that I have overdone it! Well, I said, "Seems to me that everyone else thinks its hilarious! Do you think I am ruining your reputation as a womanizer?" Poor guy. I guess I should stop calling him gay, and tell the truth: he's bisexual. :D:D Of course, so am I so what does it matter??!!?!! Except it does matter, doesn't it?! Something about jumping with a guy who you know is scoping out your ass must be just totally uncomfortable if you are a man!! hehehe I am SOOOO EVIL!
Sorry, Pyke - babe, I had to do it! Get rid of that stupid WHUFFO-frosted-blonde-bimbo-SUV-driving girlfriend of yours and we'll talk. Until you do I am going to insist you're gay. (she's not really a g/f anyway is she? you haven't been dating long enough to call her that...but I bet you have been! I bet all your boyfriends are jealous!!!!!)
Sis
I don't want the meaning of life, I want the experience of being alive!