Pammi

This is very weird...

I'm officially old now I guess because I think this is very strange. I am listening to the radio out-of-town (cuz there is never any new music in this town!) and hear some song that I really liked. My daughter tells me that the people who sing it are the 'Gorillaz' (that's how it's spelled..really). She said they have a cool video to it also. I ask if it is on Nick, my first clue that perhaps my tastes in music are slacking. It was.
So I look it up today, and get this. They are cartoons! It is a band, completely animated, that has albums out! They even 'tour' by 'playing' behind a screen.
Okay, first it's all the kiddie singers and bands...now toons!?
Gorillaz
P
A new page! Bi-Plane pics!

Pammi:
I've heard them, I didn't know they were a cartoon!
You think you're getting old - ha! I spent almost 4 hours in a car with my (almost 1 year older) sister and two teenagers listening to hip hop and rap on the way to the beach this past weekend. There's been some serious mistake because my sister is hanging with the teenagers singing these songs!! And they say country music makes you suicidal, sh*t, I don't know what could possibly be more depressing than singing about your hungry, crying baby sitting on the bedroom floor and you having to sell your body in order to get food to feed him, while your man is getting high from smoking crack! Hell, I'd almost rather listen to Bluegrass the worst thing that happens in that music is your sister get knocked up by your cousin, the cow wanders on the train track and gets killed and your mother is arrested for spitting chew on a cops shoe!
Jeeze, first Opra, Bluegrass, now hip hop and rap . . . the list of things I will not tolerate grows larger.
Diva (I've fallen and I can't get up!)

You think that's weird...

...Murdoch with his nasty bad boy crew, ramraids the shop in a tatty Vauxhall Astra....While attempting a 360 doughnut spin in Nottingham's Tesco carpark

Murdoch then went on to dump the stolen Vauxhall Astra in the car park at Langar!!
Whooooohooooo!!! Hahahaha!!!

Old my ass! I will be 38 on September 14th. I listen to techno and vintage 1978 B-52's and the like. I have absolutely no tollerance whatsoever for fucking rap and hip-hop. What a bunch of fake tough-guy crap. You want tough talk, listen to Never Mind the Bollocks, this is the Sex Pistols or some nice old Dickies tunes.
"fuck this and fuck that, fucking all those fucking fucked up blacks. She don't want a baby that looks like that, I don't want a baby that looks like that!" -Bodies. The Sex Pistols
"Mongoloid, he was a mongoloid, he had one chromosone too many. Mongoloid, he was a mongoloid, and it determined what he could see." -Mongoloid. Devo
Chuck
old, but still gets pimples just like a damn 20 year old

"fuck this and fuck that, fucking all those fucking fucked up blacks. She don't want a baby that looks like that, I don't want a baby that looks like that!" -Bodies. The Sex Pistols

FUCKIN FUCK YEAH!!!!!!! SEX PISTOLS RULE!
Josh
"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" - Helen Keller

Nothing wrong with Hip-Hop as an art form.
Just like everything else, a lot of it sucks, including just about anything they show on MTV or play on the radio.
But that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of creative intelligent people working in and around the genre. Usually the best stuff progresses it or incorporates other styles.
To dismiss the whole thing outright is just prejudiced and makes you sound EXACTLY LIKE YOUR FUCKING PARENTS who thought your punk rock was "nothing but noise".
Do yourself a favor and take a listen to A Tribe Called Quest's "The Low End Theory" before you dismiss all hip-hop and rap.

Chuck, I'm with ya on that. As far as I can see, rap and hip-hop "tough guys" are just marketing posers. They have manufactured identities and no real personality. The closest they get to being tough is quietly enduring a blister from signing so many checks.
I'm not big on techno (although there is nothing wrong with it), but I agree on the B-52's and Sex Pistols. Throw in some Clash and Velvet Underground and I'm definitely there!
Just my $.02.
Justin
My Homepage

Hey i like hip hop, rap, rnb, reggae and anything else that takes hold of my ears and gets my ass movin. How can you sit there and slag of hip hop- theres more than one element to it from lyrical to breakdancing, Dj (scratching, cuttin and mixxin), graffitti to street enterpernerialism (not so good sp). Its many artforms under one title, expresses all ideas and concepts and most of the time just how shit is. It has 27 years of history behind it and pulls from all walks of life and music. I bet you don't understand half of whats really being said (slang ). Theres alot of whack joints, especially on the commercial side but i listen to a spectrum of artists in hip hop (don't forget the dj's). Maybe it means more to true headz coz we live this shit. Theres so much more to hip hop than just the music or rapping.
Tough guy shit- Like i said earlier we live this shit, some are studio gangstas but others well i leave that to your imagination- but try listening to what is being said in their lyrics than just hearing them.
But generally its great to live to, chill to get blunted and whatch some fine ass jiggling and rippling to the beat.
Rooftops and sunsets
Gutted at the moment coz gonna miss this year notting hill carnival by the look of it- Bastard.

Very cool! You guys are giving me more ideas of what to download and listen to while bored at work :) Boy, they will be surprised when they find all the mp3's on my computer after I leave...LOL! "Gee, so THAT was what she was doing in her office all day!"
Personally, I like a ton of different stuff. From country (showing my 'roots' a bit there since I truly am a farm girl despite the hair colors, piercings and tats) to reggae to some the cheesy crap they'll play on the radio around here to classical (I MISS playing music very much!) All depends on my mood. The only thing I don't like listening to is the really 'heavy metal' and rap stuff. Anything overly violent or where the lyrics make absolutely no sense at all so I bear singing to it I don't listen to long.
Of course I'm also limited what I can listen to while the kids are in the car with me :) A little cursing they can deal with, they hear that anyway in day-to-day life, but if it's every other word...nah.
P

Love music, Hip hop # 1 (its a culture of cultures), but hey in school i went from grunge (yep u guessed it Nirvanna) right through to punk (old and nu), metal, dance. And i still have open ears, as i said if it gets me movin- its all good. Hip hop though is pretty misunderstood- It takes from every where, all music styles and the violence well sometimes lifes like that but if you listen most of it is about having fun, parties, fine woman, good music and expressing who we are , fears and a need, sadly to look out for yourself and others. I don't think thats such a bad message.

Lately I've been listening to these groups on the way to the DZ.. Probably not for children of any age.
Disturbed
Drowning Pool
Saliva
AC/DC
Iron Maiden

Oh! Like Disturbed too...Love that "Are You Breathing Now" song, and also like a lot of Offspring's stuff....that one song "She Ain't No Ball and Chain" is funny!

I listen to techno and vintage 1978 B-52's and the like.

Chuck, I knew there was something about you I liked. How about the Talking Heads, or Kraftwerk?
Shit, I'm going to start having flashbacks.
But, you should open your mind to some of the newer music. It's sometimes tough to find, but there is some cool stuff out there, even in the rap/hip-hop genre.
I go through phases. At the peak, all music is great, and I love scanning through the channels and getting turned on by all sorts of great expression and creativity coming from different places. At the valleys, all music sucks, is way over commercialized and boring, and I scan around hoping to find some decent shread of something. It's usually at this point that I find some college station that is playing some totally out there shit, and its back up the curve. ;)