NathanL100

I'm Done With AFF!!!!

I would have posted this sooner, but the last couple days have been hell for me b/c my mom was supposed to fly back to San Francisco from Boston on Tuesday so you can imagine how scared I was when I heard the reports on the news. Luckily she wasn't supposed to fly out of Boston until later that evening. Plus my sister is stuck in France until the FAA opens up the sky again. Anyway… The good news is that I graduated from AFF last weekend :D!!!! I was able to get three jumps in on Sat. and on three jumps on Sun. I had to repeat my level four b/c I was spinning in freefall, but on my second try at level four I was able to stop the spin and complete the dive. My JM said it was an awesome dive B|!!! After that I blasted through the rest of my levels and graduated on Sunday!! They dressed me up in this blue graduation gown and a red graduation hat (can't remember what that’s called) and took my picture. At my DZ it is some kind of rule that when someone graduates they have to wear the graduation gown until someone else graduates unless you have a rig on :(. Anyway, I graduated and I did my first solo too and that was sooo fun (besides the riser cover that came undone and beat the hell out of the side of my face) >:(.
Just thought I would share with everyone my progress.
Did I Hear Someone Say BEER?? :P
Nathan

No, I learned at Skydive Monterey Bay in Monterey (duh). It is an awesome DZ and you won't find better views; the crescent shape of the bay, the coastal mountains, and the green patch work of the agricultural fields. It is sooooo beautiful!! If you ever get the chance come jump at Monterey you won't regret it. Sorry, but I had to plug my DZ. :)Did I Hear Someone Say BEER?? :P
Nathan

Which discipline should I get into, freeflying or RW?? Some people say that I should do rw even if I want to freefly b/c it gives skydivers a lot of good skills that they won't get from freeflying. So which is better??
PS- I think I might have just opened Pandora's Box!! ;)
Did I Hear Someone Say BEER?? :P
Nathan

Which discipline should I get into, freeflying or RW?? Some people say that I should do rw even if I want to freefly b/c it gives skydivers a lot of good skills that they won't get from freeflying. So which is better??

Honestly, I do both RW and freeflying.. I do MUCH more freeflying, because I think it is more fun.....but I still do RW.. I also, as of recently, do CReW.. I've done some Bird-Man flying(plan to do much more), and plan to try skysurf soon.. Don't limit yourself to one discipline - try all that interest you!
Mike

Nathan,
I personally feel you should start by honing your rw skills. For a couple of reason, one, to you will need to demonstrate those skills in order to gain other licenses, having a d or c license may have an advantage down the road. Also, now that freeflyers and bellyflyers are building different formations together it will probably come in handy down the road and give you more options. Why limit yourself, become very proficient at being safe, learn to flat track, getting good separation is very important, then get people with knowledge and skill to help you with trying other disciplines.
Good luck and enjoy
Mike

STEP AWAY FROM THE BAGGY JUMPSUIT!!!!
(j/k guys.. dont flame me too much... besides, my RW suit is baggier then most Freefly ones I see)
My personnal view is that you should have decent RW skills first. Why? Because I said so... ;) but also because
1- RW skills learning is well established and it is easier to find processes(skydive U, other type of proven coaching) then it is for FF (it exist there too, but in a lesser scale)
2- there are more people to learn from RW then FF from, hence it should be easier to find good coaching
3- the basic skills you lear on RW are the same as on FF: proximity, levels, controled approaches, no momentum docks, anticipation, visiualisation, seperation... but with RW you have lesser speed, less 3D issues, so the learning curve is less steep (or I should rather say the learning curve is split in phases)
Remi
Muff 914

2- there are more people to learn from RW then FF from, hence it should be easier to find good coaching

That depends on where you are.. Try coming to my home DZ and finding belly flyers.....you may find enough to get a 4 way.. If you're looking for freeflyers, however, we can fill the plane..
Mike

Congrats Nathan....I'm going to do my Level VII this Sat. (fingers crossed). I, too, have been wondering about what discipline to follow. I think that everyone's advice, in terms of honing the basics, is pretty solid. We'll probably have a much better idea after another 50 leaps or so. Your DZ sounds awesome....and if you're ever out in Colorado, let me know and we'll get in a few jumps together.

You can fill the plane with FFliers......... lucky sod! ...... I am surrounded by flat bitches........ the most we get is a 8 or 9 way goin on.........
anyway......... Congrats mate - in a world where we are all slaves to gravity you have now become a freedom fighter- ........ and i agree FreeFly and CReW is definatly where all the fun is................... especially after a FFly dive then going into some Xtreme CReW with the boyz................ Nice!
BSBD

I jump at SkyDance although Ihaven't been up that way for about a month :( I was hoping to ju,p this last weekend, but we all know how that went...
So who did you jump with?
Byron Boys Boogie is end of this Month if they can fly :(. SKyVan Loads!!!!!!

Hehe.. Another Newbie that goes to SKyDance!!!! And one right in my backyard :)
Hi Terri :)
I did my AFF and all of my 40 jumps at SkyDance!!! I love the place and the people.
Hey if you ever want to commute up together, drop me an e-mail at [email protected]. Sundays are hte easiest day for me to go, except for that traffic coming back on 80 :(