Milo

Amish Skydivers???

Hey All,
Yesterday at my DZ in Michigan I was walking in from a landing and there was an Amish family sitting where the spectators sit.
I wasn't too surprised, the Amish population in this area has really been increasing in the last few years so they are common, and I can understand why they would want to watch a bunch of skydivers ;)
My question is: Has anyone seen any Amish go skydiving?
Do they only jump black and white canopies?
Milo

dude,
amish only base jump..you ever seen a buggy flying at 13,5?...
and to add this....there are varying levels of amish some are very modern and you never know they could skydive...ohio has a large population of amish.....

"up my noooossseee"- wingnut, at first euro dz.com boogie

Heh. My Mom was raised Amish, so I suppose that makes me half-Amish. Does that count for anything? :D
It's possible that they were Mennonite. What color clothes were they wearing?
And as wingy points out, the Amish vary wildly in their "strictness". Some will have nothing to do with anything techno. My relatives shared a community phone and a van that they would use every now & then to go into town to go "KMart shopping". They use welding equipment to repair their farm equipment as well.
So I could actually see it happening. Be a pretty cool photo for Parachutist. :D
"Wear the grudge like a crown. Desperate to control. Unable to forgive. And we're sinking deeper."

I have seen young amish men driving really tripped out cars. Apparently some of them can have modern conveniences, but they must choose whether or not to give them up and join the church when they turn 21 years old.
Skydiving is almost a non-motorized sport. I would not be surprised if there have been Amish skydivers, that's why I asked the question.
Milo
(Edited because I can be an ass sometimes)

I cant remember if its the amish or menonites, but one of them isnt allowed to DRIVE cars, but they are allowed to ride in them. and I understand they pay VERY well for someone to drive them around. Usually in groups in a van.

I heard somewhere here in indiana, last week some pranksters stole a phone booth. problem is its a privately owned booth put up by a local landowner in an amish community. he installed it after getting overwhelmed by the amish borrowing his phone in his house to make the occational phone calls that they need to make. true story. it was funny, the local TV station made it sound like a huge trajedy, the teaser was talking about "a prank that has cut off an entire community from the rest of the world". like they blew up a bridge to an Island or something. sheesh. sensationaists.
And if we didnt make fun of things, people, etc, the jokes wouldnt be very funny... just take puns and knock knock jokes. VERY lame compared to the really funny ones.
And besides, if you cant laugh at yourself, you are too uptight.
Which reminds me...
Mountainman goes to the optometrist.
His doctor says "Mountainman, I am afraid you need to stop masturbating."
Mountainmain says "why, doc? am I going blind?"
"No", the doc says, "you are scaring the others in the waiting room."
Sorry Brandon, had to pin it on somebody. LOL

Which reminds me...
Mountainman goes to the optometrist.
His doctor says "Mountainman, I am afraid you need to stop masturbating."
Mountainmain says "why, doc? am I going blind?"
"No", the doc says, "you are scaring the others in the waiting room."

HAHA!! I didn't see you in there, Roy!! Oops!! :P
And for the Amish jokes, Jeez......
--------------
Brandon Wren

I guess the strict ones would not be able to use a Cypres or an altimeter. Hmmmm. Sounds like an Amish skydiver would have to be a little more daring than most of us. Especially an Amish freeflyer. Now CRW, maybe they'd be more suited to that. All they'd need is a hook knife, right?
Joe

Now CRW, maybe they'd be more suited to that. All they'd need is a hook knife, right?

Believe it or not, there was a CReW guy that got saved by his Cypres.. As the story goes(I wasn't there), there was a VERY nasty wrap in a big way.. Somebody got their reserve hacked off with a hook knife, this guy chopped, and thought that it had been his reserve that come out and got hacked off......so he tracked for the nearest pond hoping to survive.. I bet he was suprised when his Cypres fired and out comes his reserve.. I guess he never pulled the reserve handle - just assumed it wouldn't do anything..
Mike