Jabeln79

Superstitions!!!!!!!!

Anyone superstitious.......
Like do any of you follow a certain pattern or where a special item with every jump... When i was a student i would pick the same helmet for every jump and the same pair of shoes.. I dont know why but i thought if it did the trick the first time then i shouldnt change it.. Now that i have my license and most of my own gear i dont usually have something that i wear or do before each jumping.. although i do rent the same rig every week but thats just for packing purposes....So whats yours.?????????
Joe

Accidents happen in threes.
proof.
3 weeks buddy breaks ankle
2 weeks DZ friend breaks femur and compression fracture of vertabrae
last weekend buddy off landing breaks both femurs pelvis and 3 vertebrae with hairline fractures.
:(
BSBD
ramon

Anyone superstitious.......
Like do any of you follow a certain pattern or where a special item with every jump

I've metioned this before but I HAVE to go through deployment sequence and then right into grabbing rht, lft, punch rht, punch lft. I have to do this three times in the plane before exit to have a good jump. Not one jump has gone by without doing this!!!

When i was a student i would pick the same helmet for every jump and the same pair of shoes..

I bought and still where the same protec helmet I went through training with and I also bought and still wear the same jumpsuit I went through training with. The reason being is that the hellmut fit very nice and I got it cheap and My J/M said I have a very good faal rate with the suit I was wearing so I bought it . Plus the suit was only 6months old in really good shape and I got a good deal for it.
jason

I find it a must to say a little prayer before the door opens. It seams all the jumps that I haven't said one on something has gone wrong whether it be a bad exit, poor body posture that causes me to spin or potato chip or have a bad landing. Maybe its just me, either way what's wrong with a prayer. It makes me relax and focus on the jump ahead, plus I am jumping out or a perfectly good airplane and spitting in deaths face. Do what works for you there's nothing wrong with superstition.

I won't jump when I have PMS. I can't finish a thought when I have PMS, and that would be a baaaaaad thing if I was at 4K and couldn't think.....
Other than that, 3 deep breaths, on the ride to alti, counting to 8 on the exhale. Then a little "O.K., God, here I go...", and then 3 deep breaths right as I am about to land, and flare with the last exhale (schuuuuu....waaaaaa).
Ciels-
Michele
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

I seem to have gotten over my need to watch at least one load land before I jump...that's good cuz I've been on the free load three times in the last two weekends!!!
My only other "thing" is that I am still terrified of the peas!! When shooting accuracy, I aim for right next to the peas. I have yet to land in them!!!

I have an ankle bracelet that I would never jump without. It is a little angel/child on a crescent moon with a star and reminds me of my late daughter and I feel like I have her with me on every jump.
I also bought the jumpsuit I wore on my first tandem because I liked it and felt it was lucky.
When I was a student and using DZ gear I always tried to get rig #6. I feel like it saved my life on my tree jump and whenever I see students using it now I tell them they got the lucky rig.
Oh... and I have to use the same pen when writing in my log book. That was one of my first instructor's fault as he had mentioned most people have some lucky superstition thing in skydiving and that his was always having to use black pen in his log book.
Skies,
D :P

Here are mine:
I use the same pen for my logbook.
I have to "zerbert' my canopy when I pack it. (Pammi, you stole that from me! :)I do a "check of three's" once on the ground, once before take-off and once before going out the door.
Kris

I am trying not to form any superstitions. Every time I have been to the dropzone, I have taken a different car (Either my truck or my bike) or I ride out there with a friend. I have worn different shoes on jumps. The one thing I like to do is get the same rig, not because its "Lucky", but because the opening speed seems consistant.
I do however, find that I am better mentally prepared when I ride my motorcycle. Simply because the only thing I hear is the motor, no music or talking. I just think about the dive and concentrate on the road. I still haven't had any of the same jump masters since I started training, I have had 6 different JM's on levels 1-3.
The only reason I try not to form any habits is because i don't want to get freaked out if some thing isn't the same as last time. The only things that should matter are;
That I am mentally ready for the jump (everything from ride up to landing the canopy)
That I have a Chute
And then getting a few gear checks.
I still cannot eat in the morning on days I know I will jump, I am trying to break that. It seems every time I plan to go to the dropzone I am not hungry that morning. After the jump I am fine.
The ride up doesn't bother me too much, I just go through the dive flow, and once in a while I snicker cause there are people taking cat naps on the way up.
-Jason

I still cannot eat in the morning on days I know I will jump, I am trying to break that. It seems every time I plan to go to the dropzone I am not hungry that morning. After the jump I am fine.

Same here. I'm not sure it will ever change for me. I just go with it. I do force down a cracker or two on the drive out just so my stomach isn't totally empty and then I bring a bagel or something with me for after my first jump because then I'm suddenly starving.
Skies,
D :P

I have to agree with FallingMarc.
No superstitions here. Just gimme my rig and I'm good to go.
I once had a discussion somewhat like this with one of the chaplains in the 82d Airborne. We were talking (secularly) about jumping then he asked me if I prayed before I jumped. I told him that I didn't believe in a god, but that I hoped the riggers hadn't screwed up. :)Pretty much the same today. No superstitions or praying for me, but I wouldn't interefere with anyone else's jump rituals. Especially if they involved showing boobies before every jump or something. ;)
Justin
My Homepage