Viking

I am 21 and might have heart trouble.....

For the past month or so i have been feeling this odd fluttering in my chest along a momentary shortness of breath this only lasts like a second or less but it bothered me so much that i went to the doc and he had me to a cardioligist and they have me on whats called an event monitor. its like a mini ekg that records my heart sounds and sends them over the phone line to the office where the doc can anaylize it.
Anyway just thought i would let you guys know.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

Do not be scared my father once a year uses a similar monitor it is like a walkman every our it checks EKG and I think blood pressure and record it at a tape/disc.
Maybe you have a bit higher/lower blood pressure. You will get some medicines. Nowadays if any problem is discovered early docs can help. Good thing you went to the doc and did not hide or deny your problem.
Hope everything will be OK.

When I was 23 I had the exact same symtoms except I also had "gray outs" where everything would turn fuzzy and black and white and I'd almost faint... I could barely hear sounds. It would last for about 1-5 minutes. I wore one of those monitors for 24 hours and of course nothing happened then! In the meantime the doc told me to completely cut out ALL caffeine. I haven't had a single episode since - that was 6 years ago! Hope it is something just as simple and easy for you! I'll be thinking of you!
dove

Viking: My little pitter patter does this every once in a while itself. I've never worried about it. I have low blood pressure, so if I sudden stand up from a bent position (yeah, yeah), I get head rush and sometimes everything turns black except for those little sparkly things that float by.

completely cut out ALL caffeine

Holly sheeet! I have three food groups: salt, caffeine and sugar. This woman can not live without her coffee!!
Diva

I've had heart palpitations when I took certain decongestants and had a lot of caffeine. They would go away when I cut back. I've had a heart murmur all my life so I wore a monitor all day. Doc said nothing serious, just cut back on the caffeine.
A good friend of mine had the same thing only much worse (heart fluttering, shortness of breath etc), and it didn't seem related to diet or anything. For her it was stress (which, from what you've mentioned on the boards, may be the case in your situation -- you've had to deal with a lot over the past year). They said she has Mitro Valve Prolapse something something... Basically it's not dangerous, she just needs to eliminate stress.
So best wishes on the test. I'm sure you're OK. It's probably just stress related. Now managing the stress is a whole other story... :P
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

My heart with you and the best wishes that it turns out to be nothing serious. My dads had several heart surgery and nay be going in soon for a pace maker. His hear starts racing and and drains all his energy. things are looking better for him. Best of luck to you. I'm 23 and a cancer survivor of less than two years. It's don't what your going through, but I can relate with the stress and mixed emotions your feeling.
Beware of the toes you step on today, for they may belong to the ASS you kiss tomorrow.B|

i am actually been thinking about taking it up with me and pushing the record button right before i pull. This thing as a 20 second memory and then records 20 after you push the button. So maybe i should push it at like 8-9 grand.

VIking I hope that it really is nothing. You know that sometimes young people have occational irregular beats. Also the stress and likely lack of sleep could contribute.
On the other note. During the Big Way camp at Eloy Kate Cooper wore a heart monitor during one jump during which she had a cutaway. She sadi that it spike from like 115 just before the pull to 170 after the reserve deployment. All landed well.
God bless us and God Bless America
Albatross

Yikes, Dude...
But, have no fear... I had/have a same thing and mine are panic/anxiety attack related incombo with a prolapse. My BP is usually 90/60. Nursing students are fun to watch when they are trying to find my blood pressure. ;) I wore the little walkman recorder too and I am not about to say what I did when I had mine on. :$
Everybody has a story I quess, among other things - my deal is a benign tumor of the pituitary gland right smak dab in the center of my head. ~The pituitary gland sits in the middle of the head in a bony box called the sella turcica. The eye nerves sit directly above the pituitary gland. ... can cause local symptoms such as headaches or visual disturbances. ~ ...and blah, blah, blah... a bunch of other shyt goes wrong too with just daily living and my favorite -severe fatigue, weak muscles, irritability, anxiety and depression are common. And for Skydivers Only - weak bones. :)So the way I see it, I dont guess I have to explain why I cant judge distance -thus my landings- anymore. :D
Way cool, everything is as its going to be... so, understand what your body is up to and incorporate some of this stuff into your thought process and move on.
And besides, I pay this one guy to worry about it for me- so I dont have to. YaaHooo! His name is Dr. Brown.
http://www.AirAnn.com
Sports don't build character.... they reveal it. -unknown

Viking, I have experienced the same. Needless to say: the doc couldn't find anything wrong with me. But since I cut out caffiene and eating less garlic (yeah, yeah) I haven't had any "attacks". I do suffer from low blood pressure, maybe that's the cause of mine?
Hang onto Heaven, when hell is on your back

On the other note. During the Big Way camp at Eloy Kate Cooper wore a heart monitor during one jump during which she had a cutaway. She sadi that it spike from like 115 just before the pull to 170 after the reserve deployment. All landed well.

holyshit dude 170!! thats insane but then again i geuss a fight for your life will do that.
also i can't beleive how many of you have had this too!

DB it is NOT fibrilation!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have seen Sinus tach(actualy SVT) as high as 310 before....fibrilation has no set order at all.....you can't even count it.....
she had a good QRS and still had an ST segment also......it is SVT..Supra Ventricular Tachycardia...we had to cardiovert since the both the vagal maneuvers and adenosine didn't do the job.....
Marc
Res Firma Mitescere Nescite