Pammi

skydiving ironies

I always get "what happens when your parachute doesn't open..." Its not *if* its *when* your parachute doesnt' open. Not much confidence there. The other is the "oh, you pack your parachute yourself? I dont' think I could do that, I would want someone else to do it..." Like that makes sense?
I went to a Grateful Dead Concert and they played for SEVEN hours. Great song. -- Fred Reuss

Or how about that rain drops hurt bacause of their pointy end you fall into! lol
PS: the oxygen going through your skin is completely true.. in fact, the folds in the cheeks we get in freefall is a natural adaptation to increase the surface are and therefore increase intake.
Remi
Muff 914

I love this thread...
Anybody else believe as a student that the grips on a rw suit were there for their aerodynamic properties? I thought they helped you turn and dock...
Though, I still believe that when that door opens it's going to suck me out...

the grips on a rw suit were there for their aerodynamic properties

The primary purpose of those tube things on your sleeves and legs is to act as "static wicks." Airplanes have static wicks help drain off excess static electricity, and so do we. For skydivers, our rapid movement through the air generates friction, the same way that rubbing your feet on a rug does. If we didn't have static wicks, we'd get one heckuva electrical shock when we landed.
Mark

the grips on a rw suit were there for their aerodynamic properties

THAT is exactly why I read "The Skydiver's Handbook" BEFORE I started Static Line! heehee! I fell in love with skydiving after my first tandem and had to wait almost 2 months to do my training, so I read everything I could get my hands on!! LOL - fortunately for me, I guess, because when I said, "Aren't those things on your suit for other people to hold onto?" the JMs just gaped at me and said, UH, YEAH...!
hehe Get em on the flyby...
Sis
I feel so alive,for the very first time-and I think I can fly! - P.O.D.

A friend of mine hit a buzzard in an Agusta helicopter while he was doing about 140 kts, it came through the co-pilots windshield and ended up unassembled over his rear seat passengers (they were less than impressed).It smelt quite badly too, although that may have been due to the contents of his shorts, rather than the contents of the bird.

Now you know the sad truth about Alex...

What?! Nooooooo! He deserved so much better than to end up as a morbidly humorous photo on a Web site!

I'm just kidding. He's being pampered in an incredibly swank aviary, don't you worry.

Oh, right, I know. He writes from time to time. Gloats. Little yellow bastard.
Pet me! I'm harmless and cute!

>The primary purpose of those tube things on your sleeves and legs is to act
> as "static wicks." Airplanes have static wicks help drain off excess static
> electricity, and so do we. For skydivers, our rapid movement through the air
> generates friction, the same way that rubbing your feet on a rug does.
You may laugh, but . . .
A few months ago we were doing those 120 ways at Perris (see back cover of the Dec Parachutist for a pic) and I was docking next to someone from another plane. Every time I picked her up I'd get a shock through my glove and her jumpsuit sleeve. The first time I almost dropped her, I was so suprised. I have a feeling that one of the planes was missing a few static wicks or something . . .
-bill von

Or how about that rain drops hurt bacause of their pointy end you fall into! lol

That's true! Them pointy ends hurt like hell! :)I usedta love to look over at a fellow tandem instructor and say "hey, did you take your meds today?" Evil, I know....
pull and flare,
lisa

http://www.skyxtreme.com/archive/july2000/safety.html
Well.
So, if a 4 ounce bird has enough energy upon collision to go half-way through a poly-carb face shield.... What would it do to my face?
How difficult would it be to land with a titmouse impaled in your face?
Milo