Trent

Spaceland 40 Way

Spaceland's 40 Way jumps are going extremely well. With Jack Berk and Tom Jenkins, both from Dequello, organizing the first attempt had only two jumpers out; the second had all jumpers in; the third had several out; and the fourth had all jumpers in. The 40 ways will continue Sunday.

Paula's not ready for that shit... I don't really like BIG WAY as my discipline of choice at this point. I have too much to learn and work on before Im ready for Big Way.
Entertaining tonight. Think some jumpers are gonna stay with me (and Antimike, whose jumping with em) instead of driving cross town or getting rooms. Berke is a slavedriver. Dirtdives start at 7:30am.
What a great skydiving chick I am, have clean showers, dinner, beer, tequilla and any skydiving movie you would want to fall alseep to.
I can give an extended report when the guys get home.
Fly Your Slot !

San Marcos's Otter ran out of gas on jump run on the sunset load. They tried to keep the planes in formation...but the formation fell apart.
Then, there was Cessna traffic at (can you believe this) around 2,000 right over the DZ. No radio, no one saw it coming from 14,000. Couple of people opened close, and were shocked by it, but no one was hurt.
They completed one 40 way yesterday. Started at 8:00am today.
Fly Your Slot !

San Marcos's Otter ran out of gas on jump run on the sunset load. They tried to keep the planes in formation...but the formation fell apart.

Are you serious? The plane ran out of gas? I sure as hell hope the FAA knows about this - that pilot needs to lose his license! That's totally unacceptable.. I sure hope the owner fired his dumb ass on the spot, and the jumpers kicked his ass!
Mike

Jumps are continuing. Only incident Sunday has been miscoordination by San Marcos pilot. Released jumpers before other Otter was in position. Two great 20 ways! :(

Sorry, Im not into rumors or gossip- just too much tequilla. Actually didn't the incident involve a go around or so and some challenging formation flying? Think they were all up there waiting for the right conditions and decisions. Your talking about the two best Otters in Texas...and a lot of experience.
Fly Your Slot !

Wow... The most incredible thing that I have seen in Skydiving in my short time in the sport.
Two very very nice Otters, flying in formation. Two (2) 20 way's leave from both planes then, clear as day... build a formation so distictive and precise that you could see each slot.
Break off in giant waves .....and the base looked like you could touch them... .. then THE LOUDEST WHOOOSSSS I've ever heard. 40 Canopies in the air - at the same time. At my Dropzone.
Every single landing picture perfect. - I am in strickened amazement by the RW that I saw today.
Last jump of the day.....4 point 40 way!
RW ROCKS!
Fly Your Slot !

The most incredible thing that I have seen in Skydiving in my short time in the sport.

Pretty freaking amazing! The other things that struck me was the crackata-crackata-crackata-crackata of 40 canopies opening all at once. And the guys on the outer edge tracked what seemed like *forever*. The guys in the base had to be burning it down close to 1700.
Now multiply that by 3 and you'll get what we'll be seeing for the Texas record attempts later on in the year. :o
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

Heh, yeah, I finally make it to San Marcos to jump and what do I jump? Spaceland's 182 with Rabbit flying...

And if I know Rabbitt he was probably helping y'all pack so he could go up and fly another load! ;)
Dave, you're going to *have* to make it down here for the record attempts. Like Paula said, super big-way is really something amazing to watch. I can't even fathom being in one. It was raining canopies.
Everyone.... RW folks, freefliers, whuffos were going "Holy S#$%"!
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

I don't really like BIG WAY as my discipline of choice at this point. I have too much to learn and work on before Im ready for Big Way.

SoOOoo wanna do a two-way ;) hehe
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

avaitrr wrote: >>>>Are you serious? The plane ran out of gas? I sure as hell hope the FAA knows about this - that pilot needs to lose his license! That's totally unacceptable.. I sure hope the owner fired his dumb ass on the spot, and the jumpers kicked his ass!<<<<
congrats! to the pilot for handling the situation perfectly. everbody's still here and the plane flew the rest of the weekend. so what's the big deal?

congrats! to the pilot for handling the situation perfectly. everbody's still here and the plane flew the rest of the weekend. so what's the big deal?

What's the big deal? You don't consider running out of gas in an airplane a big deal? I sure as hell do.. He may have handled it well AFTER he ran out, but he sure as hell did something wrong(and stupid) to get to that point to begin with.. Running out of fuel is totally unacceptable and inexcusable..
Mike

One of the first things you learn when you become a pilot is don't trust the fuel gauges......VERIFY! I think some Otter's have sticks in the tanks to manually check the fuel level, and if it doesn't you LOOK IN THE TANKS! If in doubt, add fuel..
Mike

Your talking
Completely Full Loads
Full RW Gear
Go Arounds
Exact Spots
Traffic
Formation Flying
Lots of floaters
Long Climb-out
- Don't cha think just maybe they used a little more gas than a normal load?
Gez, Im not a pilot, but just because the low fuel light comes on doesn't mean FREAK AND PANIC AND CALL THE FAA, does it? Maybe it means, hey...let's scratch the formation load at this point and get everyone down safe. Which is exactly what happened. Two perfect 20 way rounds.
Fly Your Slot !

Completely Full Loads
Full RW Gear
Go Arounds
Exact Spots
Traffic
Formation Flying
Lots of floaters
Long Climb-out
- Don't cha think just maybe they used a little more gas than a normal load?

Sure they used more fuel than usualy BUT this should have been thought of before and more fuel added....I am a pilot and I have to agree with my other pilots here....this it TOTALY unacceptable....
marc
"...a mind stretched with new idea's will never regain its shape"

I'm with Paula on this one, there really was no big crisis, just some pissed off belly fliers, who exited the said aircraft in an orderly manner, good job people. There was a couple of go arounds on that load and there was enough fuel for everyone to get out safely and the plane landed fine under power to both (I believe) engines. Its not as if the thing stalled, or there was a serious drama......
I would add the caveat that I'm not a pilot either, and I'm not familiar with any FAA stuff, being a ferriner in this fair land.
I do know the pilot's boss was more than a little pissed off with him though, so can't we move on to something more meaningful, like errrr, boobies or something?
D

I'm with Paula on this one, there really was no big crisis, just some pissed off belly fliers, who exited the said aircraft in an orderly manner, good job people. There was a couple of go arounds on that load and there was enough fuel for everyone to get out safely and the plane landed fine under power to both (I believe) engines. Its not as if the thing stalled, or there was a serious drama......
I would add the caveat that I'm not a pilot either, and I'm not familiar with any FAA stuff, being a ferriner in this fair land.
I do know the pilot's boss was more than a little pissed off with him though, so can't we move on to something more meaningful, like errrr, boobies or something?

So this sounds more like a fuel management issue than anything else....
marc
"...a mind stretched with new idea's will never regain its shape"