dove

Bone Screws

This question is for those of you out there that have had hardware (pins, screws, rods) in your legs... did you have it removed or not. If so, why? Because of pain or because you didn't need it anymore. If you still have it, does it bother you at all. Just wondering. Thanks
dove

dove
from everyone I've talked to, and from what my doc said when I asked - the screws stay in unless you have a problem with them. It's another surgery to get them back out, so why if you don't have to?
Lucky me, he says he doesn't think I'll ever have a problem. Now if I could just get a magnet to stick to the side of my leg, I'd be great fun at parties. :D
There's a vacant sign that's hanging high
But at least you're not alone

Dove~
I have a screw in my femur and I had one in my tibia. The one in the tibia was removed becuase it was begining to protrude throught the skin. ACCCKKKKK! For the most part they stay in unless there is a problem.
Cheers!
B
It only takes a little pixie dust......

I have all the hardware in my leg from '98. The doc said several things regarding this:
1) If I reinjure my leg, it could be a very bad thing with all that metal, but it would take a lot of energy to deform the steel and titanium -- just like it did to shatter my femur!:(
2) If it needs to come out, I'll know. I am finding out what he meant -- there are days it hurts real bad.
3) I I leave the metal in long enough, my leg will 'recognize' that it does not need to provide all the support and will leach calcium from the bone. Not a good thing.
Bottom line is, it depends. Depends on what/where/how you have been repaired. Your ortho is really the one who can tell you best. If he says it's up to you, you will know if it has to come out; I would say unless you have problems, leave it in.

Dove,
I broke my ankle in July 1998. A plate, a pin and 7 screws. Had them removed in December 1999.
The pin was painful, especially on cold or damp days, and the screws were visible through the skin within 3 months of having the cast taken off.
Also, as my doctor explained it to me, the bone doesn't grow properly with the metal in there. Even if the hardware wasn't bothering me, he would have recommended taking it out.
Having the harware taken out was nowhere near the same recovery time as the initial break, and my insurance covered everything. And I am very glad I did it. I scheduled the surgery for the "off season" and was jumping again when the skies were sunny and the air was warm!
Hope that helps!
maura

I think it probably depends on the injury and what type and how big the pins/screws are.
I had a 18 + inch rod in my femur and I had it removed for several reasons. One it hurt like hell everytime it rained or got cold and I live in Seattle so it rains a lot here. Second, the thought of having another bad landing and possibly ramming the rod up into my pelvis didn't sound too pleasant An I've heard stories of that happening. So I had mine taken out and I'm happy with the decision. I still have some pins and screws in my ankle though and will probably leave them in. They do bother me occasionally but mostly when I'm skiing because of the boots and the cold.
Rhonda

Thanks so much for all your responses! I have been pondering this a lot. My doc said they usually leave em in unless they start to hurt or come out on their own. I guess I'd just like to be au naturel. And I hate the thought of calcium leaching from my bone or the strength being comprosised. I hadn't heard about the calcium thing but my doctor was very adamant about the strength not being compromised AT ALL once it is fully healed. I don't know, I guess I feel young (ok- not SO young, but still) and don't want to always have a forein object in me the rest of my life. And they did say if it is taken out it will be easy. Outpatient and walking the same day. They said the bone fills up the hole very quickly. I have a lot of thinking to do. I like Tigra's idea about doing it in the off season though...
Thanks again! You all are wonderful!
dove

I got plates ansd screws on radius and ulna... no problem til the plates broke. They had to be replaced... but had to be installed at 90 degrees off on bones... now those bones have enuf holes that i'm afraid it's pretty fragile... i'm leaving the hardware for additional strength... And yes, it's true, I can forcast rain in 24 hours with uncanny accuracy!
Chris

Dove,
The question of removing orthopedic hardware is a very individual one. In addition to the symptoms that some people get, the decision depends on why the hardware was implanted, how the surgery was performed, what type of hardware it is, and the risks of leaving it in. The only person who really knows the answer to these questions, and can weigh the relative risk of removal, is your orthopedist. That being said...
Most internal hardware implanted for fixation of fractures is designed to stay in for the rest of your life. The question of bone resorption (your bone getting weak from decreased load) is heavily dependent on what kind of hardware it is and how it was implanted. Although it can happen, don't presume that just because the hardware is in there your bone is going to get weaker.
Also, be aware that any surgery involves risk, and it would really be terrible to get a bad infection or complication from anesthesia just because you didn't like the idea of having a screw in your ankle (or wherever your particular hardware is).
Just be honest with your doctor about your activities (and be honest about what kind of impact your limbs are taking on landings and openings and such) and see what he says. If the risk of surgery is greater than the risk of leaving it in, you may be better off with the hardware.
Amy

The question of bone resorption (your bone getting weak from decreased load) is heavily dependent on what kind of hardware it is and how it was implanted. Although it can happen, don't presume that just because the hardware is in there your bone is going to get weaker.

Amy,
Thanks for your clarification and expansion upon my comments. The gist of your post is really the point I was trying to get across. Actually, I believe I did state that her ortho was the best one to give an opinion.
My comment on the resorption was specifically about my case, but I felt I should mention it so that she would know the things to ask her doc about. (All my comments were about my case -- but that is what she had asked for, come to think of it).

I had two plates and 10 screws holding my ankle together while the bones grew back together. My doctor said it didnt' make any difference if they came out or stayed in. I decided to have them taken out. I keep them with me as a reminder. Never, Never, Never turn low...
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Have 4 screws in my back and should have them removed today, but they didn't have room for me in the hospital. In my case they say it would be better. Other friends don't need to and keep the extra weight. If you have no problems with it - keep it. Taking it out means an other operation and more time being out of the picture.
What ever the Doc is recommending - do it
blue ones
phil