why not have 2 reserves?

Why don't we have 4 reserves? Why don't I rock climb with three ropes? Why don't I wear a helmet when I drive to work? Not to be a smartass, but all for the same reasons. We can only take so many precautions from things before they become unrealistic and unduly cumbersome.

First of all the net is an EXCELLENT idea!! Or maybe make the swoop pond into jello!!
2 reserves? It could be done. Possibly a small round that goes under your regular reserve? OR a flat, low profile reserve that goes on your belly? After you cut the other 2 canopies away with your hookknife you can deploy the low pro reserve? While in a spin, at 2 grand heading for the ground quickly while at the same time experiencing ground rush? If you miss the net? You might skip off of the swoop pond made of jello? Then hit the net?
Who knows? Maybe a 2nd reserve would be possible for experienced jumpers.
Did an intentional cutaway on Dereks rig with the belly mount.. To cut that main away all you had to do was pull a couple of tabs on the risers. That was easy enough.. No extra handles. But it adds more risks of course..
Rhino
Blue Skies ..... ;)

There is something to be said for keeping it simple.
For example, tandem rigs have twice as many handles as sport rigs. Roughly 1/3 of the dead tandem masters pulled handles out of sequence or forgot to pull handles.
More handles equal more chances to mess up.

Better yet let the jumpers pack their own 2nd chance low pro reserves! Now we are living on the edge!!
I can hear it now.. DUUUUDE!! I got a save todaaaay!! Wiiiicked!! Forgot the main, forgot the first reserve, went straight for my 40 sqft round.. Went right into the jello swoop pond!! It was RAAAADICAL!!! BEER!! :D
:S
LMFAO
Rhino
Blue Skies ..... ;)

>why would you need another AAD? I dont see why you would. The 2nd reserve >would not be connected to the AAD, only the 1st would.
If that were the case, then pulling one wrong handle (1st reserve cutaway) would disable the AAD. As I've had two students do just that, such a system would reduce our safety margins.
-bill von

>I think there was a recent thread about Rob Harris.....not quite the same
> situation, but not that far from it......didn't work out so well for him....There's
> something to be said for simplicity.....
To be fair, Rob was doing an extraordinary skydive and had perhaps the kludgiest possible tersh system (intentional-cutaway risers.) But yes, I agree that simple is good.
Not to add fuel to the fire, but this is also an argument for SOS. Hard to screw up that system.
-bill von

If you want another parachute, you can have another parachute. Your local rigger can sew a couple D-rings to the front of your harness, and you can attach your chest-mount there. In case of partial malfunction, you can hand-deploy the whole canopy -- remember, peel open the flaps, grab as much fabric as you can, plus gobs of lines, then throw the whole mess down and in the direction of the spin.
Been there, done that. Good luck.
Mark