riggerrob

Flare before impact

Flare before impact!
Didn't they teach that on the first jump course?
Three weeks ago I was lecturing an arrogant junior jumper about down-sizing before he learned how to flare his existing canopy properly. He responded with his usual alibi: a list of old injuries, his high threshhold of pain and the attitude that if he killed himself, it was his problem.
While I was arguing with him, we got a phone call about a woman who hook-turned herself into the morgue.
Next thing I knew, I was inspecting the harness they cut off her at the hospital, with an Royal Canadian Mounted Police Staff Sargent looking over my shoulder. The main canopy was fine, but it was not over her head when she hit the planet.
Yesterday I counselled a couple of tandem instructors to flare a bit earlier. One of them came back with the alibi that it was not his fault because I had not re-lined his favorite canopy. Dude, you flared late!
Next load I watched the other tandem instructor do a beautiful hook turn on his Crossfire 119, and fly straight into the planet! No flare. I sprinted out to find him breathing, but complaining of a sore back. His alibi was that he lost a toggle. Sorry dude, but both your steering toggles are still tied onto your steering lines.
The last three weeks have been rather stressful.
Enough alibis.
Flare before impact!

Rob,
For this thread I have the experience. :D
I had problems landing my canopy, as it later turned out I flared either too early or too late. It was a hard lesson to learn exactly when to flare. But now I know the importance of a timed flare.
Hang onto Heaven, when hell is on your back;)

Rob~
Geez....this is why I maintain that it is important to video landings and maybe get some additional coaching. I will always be open to suggestions of folks that have more experience than I have. NO EXCUSES! Arrogance isn't worth one's life.
I am after all merely an incredible doofus.
Cheers!
BB
It only takes a little pixie dust......

I have to work on flaring. UPon the start of a new season, I found my flaring height to be quite inconsistent. too high, just right, too high, too low---smack! Luckily, plf is embedded in my brain, and I didn't hurt myself. now, my ego on the other hand.... I never had a large ego to begin with, but with everyone watching me, ooh, it was embarassing. Just glad to be ok though.
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.

Couldn't agree more. Being a newbie, I've recently learned the greatness of flaring and am a big fan. Yesterday was my best one yet which leads to my tip of the day for other newbies flying Manta's : Pull the toggles down your chest and down through your legs. I have been flaring out to the sides (like I've seen the good skydivers do) and that was just all wrong. Experienced skydivers have their small fast canopies and can do that, I can't.
Gale
Life's not worth living if you can't feel alive

Two updates:
First, the guy who forgot to flare his Crossfire 119 only cracked a vertebra. Fortunately all his nerves are intact. He is young, tough and heals quickly.
Secondly, the tandem canopy that was supposedly long overdue for a re-line: I stood it up near the bowl today.
Enough alibis.
Flare before impact.

This is something I keep thinking about. I have only 80 jumps on my canopy and its been 7 months since my last jump(due to my location) I will be in australia at a new dz(read new country/new side of the planet) I have a huge canopy so I m not worried about killing myself but I will still go to the dz before I jump and check out the landscape for any holes or uneven terrain etc. just incase I flare a little late(used to flare early so thats where im guessing it'll be now)
Im sure it'll be fine but if I didnt worry abou tthings like this I would NOt feel prepared to jump...especially after 7months of growing roots
getting high is fun, but coming down is the best part
JT

I have a huge canopy so I m not worried about killing myself

JT, better watch out...
having a small canopy is not a prerequisite to killing yourself in this sport (even under canopy).
Is it me, or have the 1st few months of the new year been particularly bad...
Remster
Muff 914

rigger rob-
in your post you refered to:
"a woman who hook-turned herself into the morgue."
If she spun her canopy into line twists with a brake toggle lowered--(induced line twists)
In this configuration the canopy turned violently with not enough time to clear the line twists- spun into the ground at a high rate of descent-
Flaring before impact -would not be possible-
"At about 800 ft, she performed a few
sashays with her canopy and during one of these the canopy
spun into line twists"- is a far different explanation than-
"hooked-turned herself into the morgue."
Would like to think far more could be gained in this sport from tragic fatalities like this?
If found in this senario are students taught to pull reserve?

>The only injury I've actually witnessed happen so far was from an experienced
>jumper not flaring at all before impact.
I watched someone up at Perris ride a medium sized canopy (150? 170?) into the ground in front risers. He died on impact. It was kind of creepy, watching that happen just 50 yards from me
-bill von

(read new country/new side of the planet)
oh come on we arnt that strange, the only difference is our toilet water turns the oppisite way, thats what i learned on the simpsons anyways :)
Opinions are like a-holes everyone has one, the only one that does you any good is yours and all that comes out is shit