3fLiEr

Skydiver in incident

Don't know about him being a Muppet but:
"Police spokesman Ron McGee said Kell may be cited for trespassing or endangering the lives of other people."
Other people? it was midnight on a building site in the FREEZING snow?? HhhhhMmmmm
"Skydiving's a source, it'll change your life, swear to God"

**What is it with the word 'plunged'?**
i don't care for the termonology either. it makes him sound like he was working on a plumbing fixture. plunged, huh, thats not correct, he fell, jumped, leaped, not plunged, that's something you do to a bathroom facility. i hope he's going to be o.k. :)
Richard
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

What is it with the word 'plunged'?

Writing a hack news story is pretty formulaic. You should take a news writing class someday to find out just how easy it is for a hack and difficult it is for a true journalist.
"Plunged" connotes far more motion and emotion than a simple "jumped". Little kids jump rope. BASE jumpers, plunge to their deaths.
Ever wonder why things "burst" into flames or becomes "engulfed" in flames? Same deal.
quade
http://futurecam.com

>I am going plunging this weekend!
Well, let's all hope we don't plunge to our deaths when our parachutes fail to open, because as far as I can tell from reading the papers, that's about all that ever happens in skydiving.
-bill von

>I don't want anything to do with "plunging" ........well maybe a different
> connotation would be acceptable.........but not the toilets ........no no no......
When I buy a house I want to get a composting toilet. Always thought it was dumb to use a two gallons of treated drinking water, hauled 800 miles through pipes, aqueducts and pumps, just to move your poo to yet another big facility where it's dumped somewhere else.
>Hey Bill........coffee?
I am one of the four people in the US that doesn't drink it.
-bill von

I love coffee I love tea...I love the java jive and it loves me, coffee and tea and the java and me acup,a cup, a cup a cup a cup....swoooosh
I love coffee sweet and hot.....whoops Mr.Motto I'm a coffee pot.........
Egads now I'm begining to sound like Chromey......HELP!
It only takes a little pixie dust......

>I love coffee I love tea...I love the java jive and it loves me, coffee and tea and the
> java and me acup,a cup, a cup a cup a cup....swoooosh
>I love coffee sweet and hot.....whoops Mr.Motto I'm a coffee pot.........
And here we see one reason I _don't_ drink coffee.
-bill von

I thought that in order for that to really work correctly, you pretty much had to be on a vegetarian diet.

Nope. We used to have one at our cottage before the septic system went in. They worked quite well, even with the 2 1/2 tons of barbeque consumed annualy at the cottage.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

You should take a news writing class someday to find out just how easy it is for a hack and difficult it is for a true journalist

In defence of journalists, they often have very little time to learn about a subject that may be very foreign to them. Workload and deadlines often make it difficult to gather and interpert the information they base their articles on. Of course we, as skydivers, are particularly sensitive to articles that make reference to our sport. Although you may not like it, the work "plunge" is accurate. Plunge = "to throw oneself". Now as far as accuracy goes, I rarely "jump" from a plane. I usually "step off" the plane... but that language isn't very colourful, and does not infer the excitement I feel... "jump" just sounds better!
"There's nothing new under the sun"

Workload and deadlines often make it difficult to gather and interpert the information they base their articles on.

Understood!
That's why so much of it is recycled and boiler plate. I admire the true journos, but I also understand the hacks. I don't agree with them, I just understand them.
Ya know, as bad as it is for the average hack print writer, the pressure is even worse for the average TV reporter. Even at a well funded station in the number two market, you're still expected to file as many as 5 stories a day. Just exactly how much depth can you give? So, you rely on what works and keeps people's interest high.
quade
http://futurecam.com

>Would the average American diet make that a viable option?
(warning - what follows should not be read while eating)
The more meat you eat, the more your poo smells, but that's not really an issue - almost half of your feces by weight is bacteria anyway, and that's pretty much the same no matter what you eat. In any case, composting toilets pull air in through the bowl and out through an exhaust stack both to get rid of odors and to dry the stuff. It's supposed to be something like 25% water by weight to get aerobic decomposition going.
You can also, of course, throw stuff like table scraps and biodegradable paper waste into the toilet. And six months later you get dirt out. Pretty cool.
-bill von

Gawd dang it! I shudda known yewd knowd all bout that kina excrement stuff there then yet.
By golly I thinks we aughta head up in them hills and live dere.
I dont eat none dat meat stuff, my poo smells like roses.
bwaaaaaahhhhh
It only takes a little pixie dust......

the more your poo smells

And Bill doesn't like it when you try to cover the smell with air freshner. Then you have to deal with two smells. Just open the window instead.
Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day! -Office Space

Ya know, as bad as it is for the average hack print writer, the pressure is even worse for the average TV reporter.

I know!!! I'm a tv news producer... that's why I am quick to defend those who write the news you read/watch/listen to... Jessica, feel free to jump in!
"There's nothing new under the sun"