Emmie

Who's a turbine snob?

Yesterday I made 2 birthday jumps out of a cessna 182. that was my first time jumping out of a 182. I hate that plane with a passion. I fell asleap on the climbup to altitude. Then at about 10 grand tried to get out without snagging anything, which was kind of hard. Getting a hold of that damn strut was pretty damn difficult, my shoulder ended up popping out in the process. I decided to make another jump right after, even though my shoulder was still sore, which was a mistake, because I did the exact same thing to it on exit, which made any sort of movement during freefall impossible. I couldn't even flare on landing.
The moral of the story is that I hate the 182's. I haven't jumped out of anything except the caravan, so I guess I got really spoiled. I can't possibly imagine why anyone would lovee those planes. All the way up to altitude all I could think about was how much I wanted to get out of the plane.

Ha Ha! That's funny. I've been spoiled too. I've only jumped out of otters, king air, caravan and a casa. Everyone keeps telling me I "need" to jump out of a cessna. Thanks for the REAL lowdown! And happy birthday!!!!
dove

I'm definately a turbine snob! However, as of late I have quite a few Cessna jumps. Mostly due to crappy weather or being at the DZ on a weekday. It's a very nice 182 and climbs pretty fast for a Cessna. We even launched a sit train off the strut Monday. :)"It's all about the BOOBIES!"

"all I could think about was how much I wanted to get out of the plane"
That's quite common...and it applies to any plane :)If you think a Cessna 182 is slow, try an AN2 biplane, its really slow, you'd be quicker climbing a ladder to altitude., and you can't beat an Islander with 12 jumpers on board for that claustrophobic feeling.
Yupo you are spoiled, but the true litmus test is, if there's nothing else to jump, would you jump a cessna again???
there ya go....
Cya
D

I've jumped out of many cessna's,otters,casa,skyvan.....ect
just know the catch points of each plane(cessnas are smaller so they are closer together). i like jumping from cessnas every once in a while brings me back to where i started!
the cessna is the work horse of the small dz's dont't knock em they can be fun. ever heard of a bat hang????
if ya can't dodge it RAM IT !!!!!!
click me

Emmie: Hmmm, let's see, first jump from the cessna . . . released with one hand before the other and my body turned, I ended up hitting the step with my arm . . . jump went to hell in a handbasket.
Second jump from cessna (hop & pop), good release, dearched, pulled head down.
Third jump from cessna (repeat hop & pop), again released one hand before the other, but nowhere near as bad as the first time, hit finger on step, dearched, jump once again went to hell in a handbasket.
Forth jump from cessna, released, arched, lost arch flipped and pulled on my back.
I'd like to think it was the cessna, but sh*t, it's just me!! Yes, I do prefer the Otter (hug).
Diva

I'm definatley a turbine snob - but more then that, I'm a FAST turbine snob. If it takes more then 10 minute to climb at 14, then I'll be complaining the whole way.
Unless it's a cesna. I guess it's part nostalgia, part novelty, but I LOVE jumping cesnas. I look forward to it! I jumped a 182 a few weeks ago at Morris - it was the first load of the day and they didn't have enough people to put up the Otter...
One of my favorite skydives was a formation jump from a 182 and a 206 - we built a 12 way over my dads cottage on the St Lawrence River.
Climbing out of the 182 does take some practice. I seriously hosed the spot at Aerohio on a cloudy day once... I just couldnj't get out there quick enough. By the time we left we were about a two miles downwind.... DOH! Climbing out is easy if you know the right way to do it... Which order to move your feet, etc.
So far the only places I've been to that DON'T regularly fly a 182 is Skydive Chicago - they usually have enough to put up an Otter, Chicagoland Skydiving - they have a Porter for light loads, and The Ranch - they also have a Porter for light loads.
Granted that I haven't been to florida...
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

After Espace Boogie 2 years ago, I became a Jet snob... ;)
I think we all have prefered planes, and since we dont like to spend any more time we must in the plane (well, most of us anyways) I think its fair to say we all rather turbine then piston... Bust as the wise (haha) Scot said, would you rather stay on tbe ground?
For me, order of preference:
AN72
Herc
Casa
Twin otter
Skyvan
DC3 (even a piston one!)
Kingair
Caravan
Porter (maybe fast, but I hate that plane.. myabe coz i'm 6'2" and I cant fit.. lol)
Cessna 180/182
Remster
Muff 914

I'll jump out of anything...BUT, if I have a choice, I'd much prefer the SkyVan or the Twin Otter.
The DZ I learned to skydive at only had a porter and a cesna. During AFF, I MUCH prefered the cesna b/c the preparation of leaving the plane was much easier than on the porter for student status exits. However, once I graduated AFF, I preferred the porter and when that DZ closed and I began jumping in Deland, I FELL IN LOVE w/ the otter and the skyvan.
I'm spoiled rotten in Deland but if I were to go somewhere that didn't have the same luxuries, I wouldn't mind. If it can get me to altitude to jump out of, I'm all for it:)Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

Oh MY! Oh Heavens..... what have we come to.....
I, for one, can say that I am NOT a turbine snob. Give me my Cessna.....205......any day. A 182 will work just fine too.....
Peace~
Lindsey
some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

I too, am a turbine slut, however I have developed quite an appreciation for jumping out of Cessnas lately. Swooping has become my thing these days, and driving to the DZ with a 5000 ft ceiling, I know the Otter will stay shut down until we see 10,000ft, so if it weren't for the Cessna going to 5000ft on overcast days, I wouldn't get in all those extra swoops, long live the Cessna!!! It keeps you in the air when the turbine's won't go up!!! (The only sketchy part for me is take off......never liked that in the Cessna)
"I live to EFS"
Tom

....even the 205 going to 2500 on overcast days......you'll NEVER get that out of the Caravan..... but most of you turbine snobs are probably also AFF snobs who wouldn't jump from 2500' anyway.....so I guess that's a moot point...
Peace~
Lindsey
some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

I'm just another sleazy skydiver - I'll jump anything. I prefer an Otter, SkyVan or DC3 but imho if the door opens in flight it's a good jump plane.
Most of my first 600 jumps were out of Cessna's. I like 'em - 182's, 206's. The slow climb, the cramped interior - you get to know your fellow jumpers so much better jumping a Cessna.
And you can't kiss an Otter pilot on climb out!
pull & flare,
lisa
---
On the other hand...you have different fingers

Oh yeah, the bat hang----our DZO does em all the time! Love watching someone for the first time that's never seen it done! He really "got" a new pilot with it the other day....!!!!
Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

It keeps you in the air when the turbine's won't go up!!!

Well said! Plus it is really fun. In most turbines you can hardly even see the pilot let alone talk to them. You also get that real camaraderie - just the 4 or 5 of you and the pilot. To all those people who give me shit for jumping from the C 206 so often - when the Let can't go up because of cloud and you have the choice of either drinking tea on the ground and bitching about the weather OR doing some low lobs from the Cessna, I know what I'd rather be doing. Then of course there are also the people who say you are just doing it for the jump numbers, its not worth the pack job etc. etc. Well, I do want to (and need to) improve my canopy skills and I do strongly suspect that a lot of those turbine snobs are scared of hop n pops....
Sorry for the long post, but this was something Steve Park (one of my fellow low lobbers) and I were discussing just this past weekend. Anyway, its not a race, I enjoy jumping the Cessna - end of story. Plus I don't turn down Let loads in favour of Cessna loads, but with weather as shit as this country has you don't often have the choice.
Will
"Look before you jump, don't die until you're dead"

Gotta love that Coaler Remster, but I notice your list hasn't got a LET 410 on it, tsk tsk, I thought you were a Langar man now ;), and wasn't there a big balck beaver down your way a while ago? I love big beavers ;)
I've attached a snap of a coaler just so all these Otter yuppies can get some jet envy :)Cya
D

Hey Emmie! Happy B-Day on the next day, again. I made a post early yesterday morning, it's on here somewhere. You finally got the 182 jump! They suck at first but after awhile you get used to them. Especially when the weather gets bad and there are low clouds. Hop and Pops from a 182 can be a riot. It does take a long time to get to full altitude though. I sleep on the way up too. I am bringing my rig out to get a repack on Saturday. Will I see you then?

"Hop and Pops from a 182 can be a riot"
Chromie, not long ago Spaceland (myself and about a dozen others jumping) did 27 h/p loads from a cessna in a single day, it was a blast. My wee pal Zak was getting some good delays with his wingsuit :)"Well the weekend of February 2-3 was pretty nasty, weather wise. By Sunday morning it looked like it was going to be another low ceiling weekend. With a cloud deck just above 2,200 feet things didn't look good. "Hey, let's do hop and pops and practice our canopy accuracy skills", someone on the DZ said. Good to go.
So Operation Hop 'n Pop was born. Utilizing Spaceland's Shuttle Pod we were able to take up 4 skydivers at a time, mostly to 2,500-3000'. Everyone involved had a great time, and the last 3 loads were for the Hit and Chug Competition. Note: winner of the Hit and Chug was our resident non-drinker (retired) Scott Borghese, Second place went to long time drinker Joe Nichols, and third place to our friend from Scotland, David McKelvie (shown left). After 27 loads, Operation Hop 'n Pop was deemed a success."
Cya
D

I have one 182 jump. Kneeling for 30 minutes is something I'll only do for two reasons, and a ride to altitude is one of them.
That said, I really didn't like the 182. I'll be happy to jump it again, but give me a sub-15-minute ride to altitude and a nice, snag-free seat any day. My favorite plane is the Cessna Caravan at SDD.