billvon

Nuclear war

I'm suprised we're not seeing more coverage of the Pakistan-India conflict in the media. I mean, they are a few more incidents away from a full scale war there, and they both have nuclear weapons. Since we have somewhat odd alliances with both of them, the chances of us getting drawn in seem considerable. Such a conflict would make the Middle East look like a sandbox disupte.
-bill von

I think it's because they have been sabre rattling for a very long time. I think we have the diplomatic power to rein in both of them anyway. *shrug*

Clay, I normally agree with you...except the sheep thing...but in this case my gut is telling me we are on the brink of something major. This situation truly has me concerned.
If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.
Chris

I am just terrified and sickened at the fact that humanity is trying to eliminate itself in so many parts of the world. Does anyone know what kind of affect the fall out of a Nuclear war between the two countries would have on our country? How long before the radiation fall out would affect us? How bad would it be?
Why are these goverments letting these irresponsible parties make these aggresive acts to eachother? I assume that the general population and governments of these countries just want peace?
Sebazz........

Such a conflict would make the Middle East look like a sandbox disupte.

Actually, it would turn that area into a sandbox...
This stuff is scary, very very scary. The chances of us being pulled in is there, along with China and Russia, both of which are nuclear countries.
Nuclear weapons scare me, one of the few things that really really do, they have their place and have saved many lives by preventing an invasion of Japan, but even then, the loss of Japanese live was horrible. There are no winners in a nuclear war, only lossers and on the kind of scale that is possible here, the entire world would be at the wrong end of the gun, so to speak.
Aerials
So up high
When you free your lives (the) eternal prize

It is all fun and games until the military in any country is given too much power. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, no exceptions...
It is reasonable to expect cancer in some form for yourself or a family member if this happens...
-Hixxx
"Sous ma tub, Dr Suess ma tub" :S

I hate to say this but the majority of us here in these forums are completely powerless when it comes to these issues. Even if we wanted to do something to make it better it would not make a dent in resolution. I have learned to just accept this stuff as a part of society, the part I do not want to deal with so I try to just ignore it. I do feel there needs to be something done but I have a hotel to manage and that takes all my time so I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

When you have countries that were once a superpower of sorts that falls totally and completely apart, that even at its prime was riddled with corruption, things will be sold that should not be sold. That is just the simple facts of life in the world. Do you want some ICBM engines? No problem. Need something radioactive to build a dirty bomb? No problem.
The answer to any country's inability to build or create something they need is just some cold hard cash, then instantly stuff appears out of no where.
Can the US or the UK or Canada or anyone else do anything about this? Not really, we can try, but it will fail, as it has failed before. Should we step into situations like what is going on right now? Yes! Simply because if this ends like I fear it could end, our country as well as the entire world will be uber-fucked. Plain and simple.
Aerials
So up high

I want to go down kicking and screaming and fighting for my life. But it is true, some things we are powerless over. I will pray for a peacful resolution to all this crappy ass bullshit going on around the world. I really will. That is one thing I guess we can do.
Sebazz........

I have a hotel to manage and that takes all my time

I also have managed hotels and there have been times I wished there was a nuclear explosion!
BTW, what are you doing on the computer right now? Mrs. Jones wants to talk to you because "reservations guaranteed her a room with a terrace" and the room she is getting is "simply unacceptable".:)If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.
Chris

I'm a little less worried than many here about us getting drawn into this primarily because we really haven't been the best of buds with either country. I think we'll wind up doing whatever the UN Security Council recommends.
It's hard to tell how serious the threat is, because there is naturally going to be a lot of sabre-rattling for obvious strategic purposes. If it does come down to it, the loss of life would be staggering and very depressing indeed.
I've just grown to be very cynical about human nature in general. Funny how we seem so eager to cause so much suffering over aribtrary ethnicities, religions & national boundaries that exist only in our minds.
Some lyrics from Staind seem appropos....
"The more you see the more you do
The television's feeding you.
With what you want to hear,
Anger and fear, because you suffer
The hate you feel won't go away
You're all programmed to feel this way
To live another day
Within a world that loves to suffer..."
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

>Does anyone know what kind of affect the fall out of a Nuclear war between the
> two countries would have on our country? How long before the radiation fall out
> would affect us? How bad would it be?
I don't think it would affect us very much. We have already used two nuclear weapons in a war with no observable increase in radiation here, and we had the worst possible nuclear reactor accident in Russia a while back - an entire reactor core was blown into the sky, about 180 tons of nuclear fuel and moderator which included 8000 lbs of U-235. For comparison, the bomb used on Hiroshima used 50 lbs of U-235. Again, we didn't see much increase in radiation here.
Also keep in mind that the US conducted a significant number of aboveground tests of nuclear weapons right here in the US. That _did_ raise the background radiation in the US measurably, though it hasn't seriously been cited as a health problem since it is still very low.
None of this, of course, makes it any less devastating to the people in the Kashmir region, should they be used there. We can hope that neither side will use nuclear weapons on land (and people) they claim to call their own.
-bill von

Those were basically single instances spread over time. I don't normally play what if, but what if 20 total warheads are used. The fall out, while probably not a direct threat to the US, would adversly effect that regions ecosystem, which could eventually effect the US's climate. Same for Europe.
Unfortunatly, I can't recall what the general wind currents are like in the upper atmosphere off the top of my head right now, but I am willing to bet that the radiation, as well as the dust and dirt thrown into the air would eventually the world's climate to a point.
Remember those bad fires in Mexico and central America a few years back? Something as "minor" as that adversely effected Texas's and the American SouthWest's weather that year.
Aerials
So up high

Pakistan's new ambassador to the United Nations Munir Akram, in his position of exactly TWO DAYS has threatened to use nuclear weapons even if India stuck to conventional arms in any conflict, asserting that it has never subscribed to "no-first-use" of atomic weapons and that ruling out their use would give New Delhi a "license to kill."
Full story HERE
Meanwhile, the U.S. is planning the possible evacuation of 1,100 U.S. troops and up to 63,000 U.S. citizens from both countries.
See THIS.
It's being covered, just not very loudly. The whole WTC closeout thing pretty much had everyone's attention earlier today, but if this thing gets much more heated, we'll definately be getting a lot more coverage.
quade
http://futurecam.com