Milo

Freedom to BASE jump

"Why can't we have those over here?"
Simple, because we have a litigious society willing to sue at the drop of a hat, a million lawyers willing to take frivolous lawsuits for the almighty dollar, and judges unwilling to throw out such lawsuits and fine the people bring the frivolous suit to court.
JC

i wasn't saying that base is illegal although i believe that it is against the law

If something is against the law, its illegal. If there are no laws covering something, then its not illegal.
the jumping off something bit of BASE jumping is not covered by any laws that I am aware of in most western contries (i may very easily be proven wrong on this one). You're always exposed to disordely conduct when you do something out of the ordinary though...
NPS have the arial devilery BS, and most owners of structures dont want to give you access, hence the trespassing is the illegal bit.
Remster
Muff 914

Believe it or not, the police have a funny habit of making the charges fit. So although I've yet to hear of a law specifically detailing BASE-jumping as illegal in any country, you'll get charged with something (as some of us know first hand).
Walking across freeway bridges is illegal in many countries, they'll get you for that.
Attempted suicide, they'll try and get you for that. (This is my personal favourite: after all, if it were suicide, why would we wear a rig?!!)
Tresspassing: especially if its a National Park or Reserve.
Behaviour resulting in grevious bodily harm: if you or your mate gets hurt.
Y'anyways, you get the idea.
I still think it holds: if you're prepared to do something dangerous and something not condoned by the government of the country you're doing it in, you must be prepared to face the consequences.
And as sad as it is, I can see their point of view: I've lost many friends to BASE jumping, both here and abroad, and the footage (and feelings about it) ain't pretty, let me assure you!
Hang around skydiving for awhile, watch mates bouce and have building/cliff-strikes (and see the result). When you've seen that happen, you'll think a little harder about why specific sites are "illegal".
I'm not anti-BASE, its just we need to think a little harder about why people would want it to be illegal and address those concerns (and then we can all have a little more fun!).
Nb the safety display jump at El Capitan is a prime example of how NOT to go about addressing these concerns. www.darwinawards.com