skymama

Wanted: Dinner Suggestions

Ok, here's the problem. I've already committed to cooking dinner for my family on Sunday. That's 8 people I need to cook for. Now, there are beach jumps going on, and I want to be there! So, I'm looking for help on what I can cook, either beforehand, or in a crock-pot, or if it can be cooked in about an hour, so I can still go out to the beach as long as possible. The only requirements are that it has to include meat, and it can't have dairy. Any suggestions?
Andrea
I'm high as a kite
I just might
Stop and check you out.

Ok, I falied to mention that when I was married for 17 years, I never did the cooking! Like a roast- what kind of cut is that, how much does 8 people eat and what do I do with it? I can't grill anything because I'm in an apartment and it's not allowed.
Andrea
I'm high as a kite
I just might
Stop and check you out.

what kind of cut is that

Uuuummm...LMAO....It's ....A .....Roast.....:D Beef Roast that is.....you can get a big one for about $10-12. Just go to the grocery store and look for a HUGE hunk of meet in the beef section. Then I'll be glad to show you where the food is.....:D
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

Mmmmm...I'm really thinking chili. I want some now after having posted that. I might have to go home at lunch and start some simmering for dinner.
If you can't grill, you can always broil.
Other crock pot suggestion....a ham, some cabbage, some small peeled white potatoes.
Or, one of my personal favorites. pork and sauerkraut. Hell, make it even easier, hot dogs and sauerkraut.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

Skymama. I have been with my woman for 15 years and she dont cook either.
A roast for eight people will take between 1.5 and 2 hrs to cook.
Do a stewy kind of meal that you can cook the day before and reheat it out of the fridge the next day.
Chilli is good.
I like chicken risotto but the rice can be tricky.
I suppose you could throw some chicken pieces with mixed veg into the crockpot and let it stew in a dry white wine and bay leaf sauce all day. Just add a little thickning to the wine so it is not too watery. Alternatively use lamb. Beef may go tough.
Ok I am hungry now
I wish the real world
would just stop hassling me
~~~matchbox20

How 'bout a big pot of haggis......A Scottish dish consisting of a mixture of the minced heart, lungs, and liver of a sheep or calf mixed with suet, onions, oatmeal, and seasonings and boiled in the stomach of the slaughtered animal.
mmmmm......yummy!
"There's no time wasted when you're wasted all the time" - Big Jim Slade

How about broiled steak, salad, asparagus and mashed potatoes and gravy or rice? And yes, you can do all of that in an hour... Is it a "fancy" affair? A family affair but has to be a little more "fancy" than the above? Be happy to help - a good chicken in wine is easy, impressive, and quick. A good rolled roast for 8 would take about 4 hours, so that's out, and roast rack of lamb would also take too long...does it have to be red meat?
PM me if you want recipes. Be happy to help, and I'll include shopping lists as well...anything for the Mama....
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
Life is what you make it; always was, always will be.
~Grandma Moses~

Oh, you guys are great! I will be home with the kids on Saturday, so I do like the suggestion of cooking something up on Sat, and then I can just leave it warming in the crock pot the next day-right?
Andrea
I'm high as a kite
I just might
Stop and check you out.

Just go to the grocery store and look for a HUGE hunk of meet in the beef section. Then I'll be glad to show you where the food is.....

You are too funny, Clay........:D
Andrea -- you can probably find Clay standing next to the lamb chops......with a lustful glint in his eye.....
Don