Deuce

Do you admit you're a skydiver in job interviews?

Once my (former) boss found he, he turned into a bigger arse then he already was.
Every time he could make some idiot remark about skydiving he tried. I quit there, for other reasons (like the rest of the personal btw. :-) and found a new job, and my boss is actualy quite cool about it. Usualy after a weekend of good weather he askes if I jumped and wants to know what I did....(I jumped, landed and had a blast...goofy laugh....'Cool, huhhuh'
He's even enthousiastic about me taking a week of to go skydiving abroad and makes the usual 'I'll try that some time' remarks..:)
But still, I think in general it's not a good thing to mention it during interviews...most people see skydivers as risktakers that can't be trusted....which is a shame
"We put the FUN in dysFUNctional"
http://www.3dluvr.com/mccordia/

On my resume I listed, amongst other activities, that I was the treasurer of my school's skydiving club. (That's leadership, right? Taking other people's money...) I definately stood out for it, and I received positive and negative reactions. The one woman who got all excited about our bars at Purdue thought it was "neat"; must've been a good thing since I got a second interview (too bad I wasn't actually qualified for the job! lol). Also, I think it helped me get my internship last year (since it was something "unique"), which led to my full time employment there. One man, however, was pure evil! He criticized me for it, but what can ya do?
In my opinion (doesn't count for much), my field of work is pretty boring, so it's a good thing to stand out from the rest on my resume.
I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind; got my paper, and I was free

"One man, however, was pure evil! He criticized me for it, but what can ya do?"
Find out where he lives, and return the favour???
When I am putting together a crew of guys (or gals for that matter) for a job, there is seldom any interviewing involved. I sit down with some trusted fellows, examine the stack of CVs.
We instantly bin those we already know to be idiots/unsuitable, separate the remaining into folk that we know, and don't know, we'll normally choose the guys we know first, then phone around to check the strangers out and pick the ones we want.
Of course if a skydivers name appeared, or someone who mentioned skydiving on their CV, they would be looked upon favourably...:)I know its not the politically correct way to crew up, but that's just the way it is in my profession.....
Cya
D
GR# 37
Remember how lucky you are to see and touch the sky; the blind may only dream.

told they felt my skydiving would not give them the "comfort" level they needed to ensure i'd be around from start to finish on the project, ignorant, right? fukkin' suits

I would think that is grounds for a discrimination lawsuit...

Skydiving takes more balls and dedication than most of the other stuff on people's resumes about what they "achieved" in conference rooms and at their desk.
If you can't make an interviewer realize this, they're not that bright. And who wants to work for someone who's not that bright? Sure, it may pay just the same, but eventually it'll piss you off in some way.
I interviewed plenty of people before I started jumping, and it's definitely the kind of thing that would make a favorable impression on me. Same thing with rock climbing, mountain climbing, flying, diving, etc. As long as you have the skills for the job, and as long as they're not looking for a drone with no personality, I'd say mention it for sure.
Joe

I mention it when asked. In the interview for my current (and first full time) job, I was asked about my ideas on taking risks and to what extent I did so. I amswered honestly. Granted, I'm a therapist. Interviews for theraoy positions are often slightly different than your average job interview, as they start with personality data testing frequently (MMPI). I was formally offered the position less than 48 hours after interviewing, with calls made in between. =c)
Stacy
http://users.snip.net/~stacy

Actually, as a realtor, I tend to be interviewing all the time. As a matter of fact, as soon as I can get the $$ put aside, I will be running an advertising campaign w/ skydiving as the center point...
And just found out today that one of my referral sources (a mortgage broker) tends to tell the potential client about me this way: "she's a great realtor, and she also skydives. She's intense..."...and most of the clients love it. They bring it up and chat about it, and I of course show pix and talk about it. The most often asked question is not "whuffo...", but "what do you do with your hair?" (It's 36 inches right now...)...they seem to like it: "Yeah, she's our realtor, but she's cool...she skydives"...
But everyone knows I jump - as a matter of fact, my broker has, on occasion, come to my desk and told me to go away and jump...usually after I've pulled 14 days straight, with no results...
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
Life is what you make it; always was, always will be.
~Grandma Moses~

When I was interviewing for teaching positions and I told all of them about skydiving. A few of them were like "wow, that is really interesting!" to "ehh...." and the moved on.
I heard back from 7 of 8 schools offering me another interview, but I just took two interviews, and then ended up taking one of the jobs.
So, I would say "go for it", because that is you!! :)JumpinDuo.com...news, pictures, skydiving and links.

Sure I mention that I skydive in job interviews, but then I only apply for jobs that involve rigging or tandems.
Next year I will be looking for a job that involves a pilot's seat. Wonder how many flying companies want to hear about my skydiving experience?