freeflir29

Anyone notice this?

I guess California doesn't have the market cornered on earthquakes...

No they don't, but we pay so close attention because there's a really good chance a nice sized quake will create "Arizona Bay". And does anyone really care if LA gets dropped into the ocean!? :D
FallRate

I felt it. I was just sitting at my desk, probably doing something unproductive on my computer, when the whole floor started shaking and shook for about 15 seconds. I work in downtown Indianapolis on the 5th floor of an office building.
Talk about weird. :)The 4th paperclip didn't say much, but I could tell that it was still the smartass of the bunch...

I've never been in an earthquake. From what I've read, the geology of the mid-Atlantic region of the US isn't prone to them, but if they ever do happen, they will be really really bad.
I spent some time in Ecuador awhile ago. We drove on lots of roads that were perched right on the sides of mountains. The day after we left, an earthquake completely wiped out many of the places we'd been, and a lot of people died. We got lucky.
Justin

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And does anyone really care if LA gets dropped into the ocean!?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It wouldn't even be that catastrophic. All the silicone boobed babes would float and probably have enough buoyancy for 3-4 passengers.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

Water is only slightly thicker than their smog

As much as I like to bash California I am saddened to say that Atlanta now has more polluted air than LA. I yearn for the days when there was one DZ (Ellijay), we all drove pick ups, drank budweiser, and breathed clean air. Danm Yankees!!! I know they are to blame...:)"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

A while back there was an earthquake in the Memphis area that made the mississippi flow backwards.. That's what I heard anyways :)All of the overhangs there have steel cables attaching the bridges to the ground.. Like they would make a damn bit of difference..
Rhino
Blue Skies ..... ;)

you are absolutely correct. i've seen whole drilling rigs dissapear into cavities in the earths surface, real scary stuff. some years ago, a crater opened up in florida and swallowed a man's house cars, and everything. but bear in mind, the more we remove from underneath the earth's surface the more cavernous it becomes, thus the surface overcomes the formation pressure(s) and falls the other way, which is south. we have massive salt dome storage facilities around the gulf coast in texas, and near where i live, because of the presence of salt domes, the energy companies, and our government love to store all kinds of hydrocarbons in them, including natural gas for emergency use. about ten years ago, a "fail safe" or "check" valve failed on one of the pipelines near the underground storage caverns, you would not believe the carnage, and destruction of humans, property, and animals. the blast was so severe it removed all of the grass off of the ground, all of the limbs off of trees, it blew a 3/4 ton ford truck 3/4 mile into the air, and dropped it from the blast site, more than one human lost their lives that day, and millions in property damage. i've got video, i was one of the first on the scene, it was very ugly. it ain't nice to fool with "mother nature"
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"