gus

Busy US DZ in January

Since I discovered that if you book well in advance you can fly return from London to loads of places in the States for around £300 I've been planning myself a little holiday - but probably not until Jan 04 :(

So the question is this: where would you go if you had 10 days to jump your arse off anywhere in America?

Critera: busy during the week, good weather, bunkhouse/food available, good altitude, good people...

I was looking at Perris but I don't know what the weather's like in Jan.

Opinions?

Ta,

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Arizona. Places in Florida have advertised themselves as "the world's largest British drop zone," but they can be cold and rainy in January. On the other hand if you have a family there's lots of other (crowded) stuff to do in Florida and not much in Arizona. I don't have a good feel for Perris/Elsinore; I found that in Northern California, jumpers regard January as ski season, even if it's beautiful for jumping.

HW

I am not an Eloy fan, but it IS one busy ass dropzone in the winter. Perris and Elsinore are both great places too, and I would choose either of them over Eloy, just because I like to be near other things to do. If you like the desert, all three are right in it.

Being "old school" though, I am still all about Z-hills and Deland. While, yes, it does actually rain in Florida, your gear will not get ruined out in the desert. Grass and trees makes me happy.

Chuck

The bunkhouse at Perris was comfortable and clean, they've got a pool and laundry facilities. They turn their Otter during the week. Very cheap and very nice for the price. You could also do a day trip or two to Elsinore (I haven't visited there yet).

I'm in NorCal, and I think just about everything up here is Cessna during the week.

Cheers!

If you come to the Orlando area, you can have Z-hills, Lake Wales, DeLand, Sebastian and Skydive Spacecenter all within 1 1/2 hours in different directions. Plus, there's the tunnel. Plus, there's all the attractions here and the beaches. The weather isn't that bad. I think I only wore my thermals 3 times under my jumpsuit the entire winter last year. It actually rains more in the summer than in the winter.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

January in Perris is pretty good.

January 10 to 20, 2003 will be the Jack Off To Perris Boogie.

Go HERE and click on dates. Not all of them have photos, but the one that do have photos should tell you a little about the weather conditions. Check out the skys and what people are wearing on the ground.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Depends.... We'll turn the caravan around with 8 jumpers, in the middle of the day it's hard to do sometimes, but Wednesday and Friday afternoons it happens.... Never been to Lodi during the week tho, and they're the only DZ that is open on Xmas day

Yeah, Winter is usually Ski Season but the nice thing is that you have to pass SkyDance on the way home from Tahoe.. SOOOOOO.....
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Eloy has a newly refurbished bunk house, kitchen and recreation room. Yeah it is the desert....but 80 degrees in January is pretty dang nice! That and getting loads up all day. Each DZ has something unique to offer, I suggest checking out several web sites and see what interests you.. The Holiday boogie runs Dec 24- January 1st with a midnight jump on new years eve.
Cheers!