freeflyswc

do you have a proplem with gay jumpers

If a person is at the Gay/lesbian/transgender/bi ... parade and expresses distaste, they are universally and roundly condemned for their intolerance, and nobody seems to realize how intolerant that is.

If you go to a parade and express distaste, of COURSE they'll condemn that. If someone came to your DZ and announced that they find skydiving offensive, they'd get an earful from the jumpers. If you walked into a church and scoffed at their beliefs, they'll give you the same response. How strange it is to walk up to ANY group and challenge their basic group identity expecting anything else.

If you and your partner lip-lock on Market Street in San Francisco, only the tourists will notice. Some may ask to take a picture with you;)

And the same thing would be true if you kissed YOUR partner on Market St. How refreshing it is to be ignored equally. ;)

Yes, you have been reasonable and gentle in your responses, you seem like an alright guy. You don't seem like a person who's going to go into a DZ in Texas, lay down on the couch with your partner and make out, and then get all snotty and snap "what're you looking at?"

You're right. I follow the same rules of decorum that I expect of straight couples. But that's the ONLY reason I don't make out with my boyfriend in front of strangers. Not because I think gay people should keep it in private, but because I think EVERYONE should.

But private is different from secret. I think couples should be intimate in private, but couples don't have to keep their relationships secret. I see nothing amiss in holding hands, talking about our joint home, making dinner plans together, giving a quick kiss hello or goodbye, or otherwise acting like an adult couple in public.

I also don't object to straight people talking about their private interests, especially in a rowdy free-for-all forum like dropzone.com. I celebrate that! All I ask is you respect that I -- a fellow skydiver -- can and will do the same.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

So, if your girlfriend had a problem with her canopy, would you have a problem with posting that "My girlfriend's toggle came off this weekend!"? Or would you say, "This friend that I have who is a girl had a toggle come off this weekend!"? There is a point where people find things out about people, which includes if they are single, dating, married, gay, straight, black, white, etc.

SBS, this is the clearest, most thoughtful way of putting it I've seen yet. That's exactly what I've been trying to say. Thanks!

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Narcimund: well said. I'm new here, although I'm immediately impressed with the maturity level thus far. Looks like a neat group as well.

Blue Skies...

... and right now they are...
...and I'm in front of a computer...
...and so are you...
...wanna jump?
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

[not feeling one bit insecure about his sexuality, nor what they MIGHT whisper behind his back] Lummy Happily skips (YES, SKIPS) over to JP and gives him a GREAT big HUG FEEL THE BYRON LOVE[/stopped being an ignoramus, opened my eyes, and learned what really matters]
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Come on Vern, you don't have to make up any stories. Everyone knew it all along. We're all proud of you coming out. Now we don't have to walk on egg shells anymore when we're around you. Just don't sit behind me in the c-van anymore.....Mine is "exit only":$

Malibu

DEPENDS*************
Are we talking a "french kiss" or merly a peck on the cheek. and by "jump with Me" do you mean skydive with me or is that some GAy way of askying for ANAL SEX now days??? I dont know..........
Pretty much, I would laugh my ass off. I dont think many gay skydivers exsist, and if they do, they are the ones wearing the fucking tight ass, butt hugging, (pretty homo) Rw suits in both pink and matching cobalt blue. With a gear bag and a car to match......hahahah. So.....umm...........if you wanted to go hit some freefly jumps sure, but GOD DAMMIT, if you grab my fat Kak during freefall I'll cut your reserve lines before your next jump and pack you a line over, you fruit basket.
Peace. and freefly..
yea.

I'll cut your reserve lines before your next jump and pack you a line over, you fruit basket

May I direct you to the Forum Rules and Etiquette post - http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=142088;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Please read this before you post again.

If someone came to your DZ and announced that they find skydiving offensive

Whuffo! too scared to jump out of a plane? huh, huh!! come on... I dare you to jump!!! :ph34r: J/K

Now to get back to the thread, everybody has a right to jump, I will jump with whoever is on the plane.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

Thanks SkyBytch. Well said. One of the problems with running online forums is the attempted anonymous and obnoxious users. Its great to know that mature conversation is still protected.

Stay cool.
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

Are we talking a "french kiss" or merly a peck on the cheek. and by "jump with Me" do you mean skydive with me or is that some GAy way of askying for ANAL SEX now days??? I dont know..........

Pretty much, I would laugh my ass off. I dont think many gay skydivers exsist, and if they do, they are the ones wearing the fucking tight ass, butt hugging, (pretty homo) Rw suits in both pink and matching cobalt blue. With a gear bag and a car to match......hahahah. So.....umm...........if you wanted to go hit some freefly jumps sure, but GOD DAMMIT, if you grab my fat Kak during freefall I'll cut your reserve lines before your next jump and pack you a line over, you fruit basket.

All this from a guy who lists his nickname as assman? Is there a connection with the thread title and nickname?? ;)j/k

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

Reading this thread has been an .....interesting experience. Personally, I would have to put the population I work with on a daily basis of consisting of about 15% gay or non traditional relationships. (on THAT note, as my wife is 14 years older than I am I guess someone could place ME in the latter category) I have never had a problem with them and have always found them to be *GUESS WHAT?* *They are human beings, just like the rest of us!

However, I have to disagree with what has been said about so much testosterone being thrown around at the DZ's that, um DC-oriented individuals might feel threatened.

When I did my very first tandem I did feel a touch of homophobia about being strapped to another guy. Just didn't seem quite right, especially after I had just gotten married 14 hours before. Well, when that door popped open at 12,500 and Mitch screamed "ARE YOU READY TO SKYDIVE?" in my ear, something occurred to me. I didn't give a ferrets tail if this guy was gay, straight, into rubber, related to Attila the Hun, or was Typhoid Mary in a previous life. HE was the one with the skills, the knowledge, and the gear that was going to get me back down alive.

As a newbie, I find that thas bled through BIG TIME out at the DZ. I don't give a damn about a persons race/color/sex/DOB/or sexual orientation. Because any one of them might just be able to share with me one little nuggett of information that might allow me to save my life one day.

Extreme sports in my opinion is NOT the forum for petty biasis. (Just keep those bumper stickers off my truck, K?)

Weezil-1
To err is human - (total chaos requires a ferret)
To err is human (Total chaos requires a ferret)

First off NO. I don't think it's a problem on any DZ. I live and jump in Houston, a city with one of the largest gay populations. Would I skydive with you? Yes. I think Narcimund had some of the most intelligent post's here on this subject. I know another gay couple that one of them jumps and there DZ is in a Bible-Belt conservative state and they are totally accepted at the DZ.

If you look around at your DZ or mine, we're a pretty diverse bunch, especially the freeflyers with the retro Tye-Dyes and the Hawaiin Print's etc. Hey I jump a 120 Stiletto with a wild colorful pattern that one of the female skydivers nicknamed a "fruit salad" I still laugh my ass off when I think about it. I also have a second rig with a pretty much boring colored canopy in it. One day at the DZ I made the comment "should I jump the gay rig with the straight canopy today or the straight rig with the gay canopy" The comment got plenty of laughs.

There is a clothing line out there that has a cardboard label on it concerning diversity. It says: " were all diffferent but were all pretty much alike"

Kind of like the DZ. Diversity is what makes us great and is one of our best assets.

There is also Rainbow Skydivers group on Yahoo Groups

Laughs, Hugs, and Blue Skies. Be safe and have fun.

Chris

I don't think so (Could you imagine the trouble there would be if we had a channel called "White entertainment television"? - referring to BET)

If there weren’t a need for BET there wouldn't be a BET. If African Americans weren't misrepresented and under represented in general media there would be a need for BET

Blue Skies Black Death

If there weren’t a need for BET there wouldn't be a BET. If African Americans weren't misrepresented and under represented in general media there would be a need for BET

I don't think Goose argued that there was no need for BET. He merely pointed out that white americans would look ridiculous if there were are WET. Honestly, is there any way for me to celebrate my whiteness, my maleness, or my straightness without looking either stupid or like a complete asshole?
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

Honestly, is there any way for me to celebrate my whiteness, my maleness, or my straightness without looking either stupid or like a complete asshole?

Go to a strip club. Oh wait that won't work. :D;)

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Pretty much, I would laugh my ass off. I dont think many gay skydivers exsist...
...if you grab my fat Kak during freefall I'll cut your reserve lines before your next jump and pack you a line over, you fruit basket.

I think you are ignorant, pathetic and insecure and I am insulted as hell by you.

Many of my friends (jumpers) are gay and very few people know that they are gay, in any case, they don't care.

Grow up you pathetic homophobic and if you EVER say anything like that on this site again or at any DZ, you better hope like FUCK I never meet you: on that note, do you know what a king hit is?

Attacking another skydiver like this is bullshit, don't post your tripe again. My apologies to everyone else for having to read this.

Blue skies to all,
xj

Bravo, Jasmin!!!!

Well said and no apologies needed for me, and I'm not really a skydiver, yet. I am appalled that this was even allowed to be posted.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

For those of you who think such an outburst was uncalled for, please take into consideration that a jumper was murdered in Germany by the method so aptly described by "freeflyfucks".
To "freelfyfucks" and all other jumpers, I am earnestly asking that you think before posting something like this, in jest or otherwise.
'Scuse the harping, I'll say no more on it, I promise.
xj:P

WTF..this thread is still alive???:o

How about this...

RELIGION: God exists v.s There is no god.

POLITICS: Republican v.s. Democrat v.s. Communism

SKYDIVING: Pull Out v.s Throw Out or I know.... Round Reserve v.s. Square

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Let it go already folks.......:S

(Edited cause of ... an Oh and yeah....:)

Having read the whole thread, I'll go back and answer the original question...

Sure, I'd skydive with a gay jumper. It doesn't make a difference. I'd skydive with Clay, and he is into sheep. I'd skydive with Remster and he likes the occasional moose. We aren't even sure what Skreamer likes anymore. ;)

All joking aside, it is really moot. The reasons I wouldn't jump with someone include them being unsafe and generally being an jerk. If I don't like someone, I won't jump with them, but there are plenty of straight people that fit that bill also. Sexual orientation is moot, as is race, among other things.

I agree with what people have said about normal behavior as well. I mean "normal" in the sense of being generally polite, respectful and tactful, rather than as any reference to orientation. I don't want to see any couple (or group) in a sexual squirming pile in the middle of the packing area when lots of people are wandering by. However, I have no problem with them going someplace more private. Great for them, whatever they are going to do.