ChrisG

Freeflying or swimming?

I have to laugh about freeflying.
I just saw a clip from Skydive Chicago of a 16
way freefly, with supposedly the best fliers around.
I never saw so much kicking and waving in my life.
Then it struck me, They look like they are treading
water upside down! They said they got a 16 way,
but half of them were not even touching anyone else!
They are just swimming around!
The RW people can take a lesson from this.
Since you dont have to dock,we can exit with 20 people and as long as we are in the sky together, we can say we got a 20 way!!!
Hell, a 50 way would be a piece of cake!
I'm looking foward to doing some 100 ways
during the Richmond Boogie! We'll have enough aircraft so we could easily do it, we dont even have to dock anywhere! Every one will be in!!! You fat people wont have to worry about going low, we'll still
count you as being in, since after all, you were in the sky with us. Cool, huh?
Also I saw a pix of an 18 way in Parachutist, and when I first saw it it looked like a nasty RW funnel.
Then I realized it was a freefly world record.
I showed it to my wife, she said- "are them guys tumbling? They aint even hooked up!"
I had to explain to her that you dont have to hook up in freeflying, you only have to be close.
Hey, why dont you guys get your shit together and
at least hook up before you proclaim a record.

Love ya,
Chris

why dont you guys get your shit together

Don't be mad because you only know one way to fly. As an RW person you can either turn to the left or you can turn to the right. Hmmmm....that sounds like fun. With a little practice even you can fly on your head. Don't be intimidated by what you cannot do.
Besides, rather then talking shit and letting your ego hit the fan, why not unite as skydivers and appreciate the different disciplines of the sport. 99.99% of the people in this world will never jump out of a plane. Of those who do, there are people like you who rather unite our subculture, just tend to talk a lot of shit. Get a life!
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Whoa, whoa, slow down.

Take a look at his D License number and this -may- explain quite a few things. With a number that low, he probably remembers flying this way before most of the folks on dz.com were even born.

'Course, back in those days they didn't call it "Freefly(tm)" -- they called it "Freek Fly" -- as in The Freek Brothers.

My -guess- is that he probably knows all about the history of this and that even some of the pioneers of belly-to-earth RW fooled around quite a bit with other orientations and even continue that today.

Take a look at Pat Works for instance. He literally wrote the book on RW and continues to be one of the grand old masters at vRW as well.

So, truth be told, I think he's just rattling chains a bit. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What difference does it make how low his D license number is. Is there some kind of a relationship b/w low D numbers and high egos? Some of the coolest things I see happening right now is 3D flyind. Incorporating belly and freefly together. I don't understand this big separation b/w RW and FF. Incorporating these two makes a better rounded flyer all together. Don't get me wrong, but if some FF started talking shit about RW, it would piss me off just as much. There are not that many skydivers in this world. We shouldn't puch each other away or talk smack about each other just because we use different body positions to fly. What the hell is that all about?
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Don't be mad because you only know one way to fly. As an RW person you can either turn to the left or you can turn to the right. Hmmmm

LOL!... :D:D

Don't be intimidated by what you cannot do.

That's right, because you have to learn to crawl before you learn to run... And before you even know how to crawl... Yo mama put you on Yo BELLY :D:D:D

Besides, rather then talking shit and letting your ego hit the fan, why not unite as skydivers and appreciate the different disciplines of the sport.

This is the quote of the year in my oppinion... But let's not rule out FF vs. RW hasing please. When not meant in a harmfull way, it is quite fun.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

What difference does it make how low his D license number is. Is there some kind of a relationship b/w low D numbers and high egos?

No. I thought I explained it, but lemme try again.

There -IS- a relationship between low D numbers and time in sport.

My guess is that he's seen a lot more of what's happened in the sport than most people.

Like I said, I think he's just rattling his chains a bit and pulling yours. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I guess anyone can stirr a little shit here and there...I happen to be a free flier and well I really suck on my belly, but I am getting much better head down/sit/stand...I think that if no grips are taken than it wasnt a record...perhaps the still camera that took the pic didnt click when everyone got the grip...(I know for a fact some of the belly grips I have seen in video are more like slaps that grips) ahh well...I wasnt in the record so it doesnt really matter all that much to me anyway... maybe in a few years Ill be good enough to try out for a slot, but until then...

"bygones" -richard from ally mcbeal

-yoshi:)

I agree with Paul Quade. Most young upstarts would do good to remember that the great majority of competitive skydivers in the 1960s were out for medals in style and accuracy. For the uninitiated, before a looper (what you call a stylie) throws a style tuck, he or she does about a 20 second head-down dive, then throws turns and flips, not on their belly, but at an angle very near vertical.

For the likewise unitiated, "freak flying" was any and all varieties of 3D jumps. Lots of back flying, standing, multi-tiered "Enterprise" dives, etc. The jumpers partied just as hard as they do today, and the boogies were actually rowdier.

Anyway, those that have been around long enough and have the requisite skill set can, and do perform all types of skydives. The current freefly versus RW stuff cracks me up.

Chuck
D-12501

Wow!! Its been a long time since the "enterprise"
dives. (thats when you build a round, two people hang vertical off two jumpers, then jumpers form lines off the hangy down guys) then everyone would do a stand up track facing to the center. That was cool! Thanks for the memory!
And yes, the parties are much more lame than they
were back "in the good old days"

Most of the time, when someone starts a freefly vs. flatfly thread, it is just a troll. Usually they attract huge numbers of posts and animosity.
I have never tried to only be a one-discipline (flat/4-way/big-way/freeflyer) skydiver. I believe that you need to learn a lot of skills and no discipline has all the skills. I have found that there are overlaps in each that complement others. Example: Tight 4-way teaches you to not move around. This makes your big-way formations more stable. Less waves. Big-ways teach you more about the mechanics of the air-column. Chunking an 8-way is an engineering puzzle.
There are also things missing from each. You can't learn to swoop effectively by doing only 4-way, you've got to be last out on a big-way. 4-way teaches economy of motion. Big-ways rarely go beyond 4-points but 4-way can be a huge mental game.
I can remember talking to freeflyers and they told me "no dude, we're not into turning points". There was no dirt dive. Things change.
Personally, I am unsure why people think it is important to prove one discipline as superior over another. Not for me. I tease people who do other things, but it is only teasing. In many cases, these are people who are far, far better than I. People I respect and have had coaching from.
Still learning.B|

POP I am disapointed in you.;) Not really but you walked right into the trap. Yes yes RW people are flat and can only do 2 dimensional things blah blah blah. Was it you that had trouble getting into that star the other day?;) Belly skills a little rusty?;) Thats ok cause my freefly skills are little rusty too. You're right people should fly every which way possible and respect all the different disciplines available to us. Left, right, Up down, head down, feet down, side flyin, back flyin. Stay humble though and don't go disrespectin those folks who paved the way for us. Be a little more forgiving when a veteran wants to flap his gums about some freaky free flyin rules. I found his post entertaining. And that is all. Hybrids are really cool, but so is just a plain two way on your belly not turning a damn point at sunset with a bud or GF.

There I go tryin to make sense again..... :P

And yes, the parties are much more lame than they
were back "in the good old days"

And I bet in your day the old-timers said exactly the same thing... ;)

I interviewed Dean Fisher for the Skydivemag last year (has been skydiving since 1966, longest layoff was 7 weeks). He had the following to say :

How do you feel about the newer disciplines in skydiving, such as freeflying and skysurfing?
I think freeflying is great, because that's an individual doing their own thing and this is what I'm into. If I wasn't with students regularly, I'd be doing the skyboarding stuff – I love to watch that.

Man, there is too much exciting stuff going on now (eg wingsuits) to be arguing over who was the first person to pass the baton. Some sauerkraut doing the 'TM' thing doesn't really bother me, in fact I think its funny as hell. And as Chuck said about freestyle, you think it is a co-incidence that Olav, Omar and other prominent freeflyers won gold medals doing style?

Will

That's right, because you have to learn to crawl before you learn to run... And before you even know how to crawl... Yo mama put you on Yo BELLY

Now that's FUNNY!!!

Hey, I think it's all good. I'm not good at rw OR freeflying, but I enjoy both.

Like Rodney said: "can't we all just get along?"