hobbes4star

Security at the airport is a joke!!

yesterday i went to sky harbor airport in phx to pick up my wife whom was coming in from st. louis. i don't know how many of you have ever been to this airport, but when you go to park in the parking garage the airport security stops your car before you enter and they are supposed to do a search of it since the parking garages at sky harbor are so close to the terminals and the gates. So I stop and the security persons ask me if they can search my vehicle and to open my trunk. So I open my trunk thinking that this is going to take awhile because I have 3 duffel bags, a blanket and 3 of those folding chairs that go in bags.

Now I am not complaining about the search hell if it keeps me from being blown up, shot, or held for ransom (not that I am worth anything) search away.
What I am complaining about is the fact that the search people didn’t even look in the trunk of my car. I opened the trunk for them as they requested and the guy walked around glanced into the trunk of my car and said ok have a nice day.
Didn’t touch or move anything, had no questions nothing.

Have a nice day, no problem pal Allah will be proud of me for killing the Americans with the help of all the bombs that are in the bags and under my seats and in my trunk where the spare tire used to be. Hehe good thing I didn’t get a flat on the way to the airport uh buddy. Thank you for not really taking your job as a security personal seriously. If you actually did a search of the vehicles that come in than if would be much harder for me to blow up part of this airport.

if your going to stop me to search my vehicle or my person at least do a search. At this point peoples lives really do depend on it. If they aren’t really going to do a search why bother to pay these people to stop the cars going into the parking garages. All your doing is wasting time, and money.

What is really scary is from my parking spot that day I was no more than 100yrds from a 737-200 that was parked in it’s gate. On the other side of that 737 were 4 more planes all parked in their gates. A fuel truck was fueling one of them. While passengers sat in front of the windows looking out at their planes they would soon be boarding and heading to their destinations.
Ok end of rant. Thanks for listening……oh and everyone have a nice day….:)
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

I know what you mean - I'm taking flight lessons now and yesterday I went to go out on the ramp to preflight the plane and these 2 guys were trying to open the door to go out to the ramp - it's locked and you need a key to get out there. I was thinking, these guys better not try to just follow me out and they didn't, but they asked me, "can you let us out or do we have to ask soemone?" and I told them to go talk to someone at the security desk, which is right across from the door. What amazes me is that no one even looked at them as they tried to open the door and they could have just followed me right out because no one was watching the door -I'm sure they were just nice, regular folks, but you just never know...There was a United turbo prop sitting right outside the door with its' engines running.
Rhonda
PP ASEL

I'm really frustrated at the inconsistent application of their "policies".

Last weekend was the first time I've had any trouble carrying my rig on the plane. I've flown with it several times since 9/11, sometimes I get stopped and asked about it, sometimes I sail right through, and last weekend I was told to check it. Because I've never had to before, I wasn't prepared to check it, which is what made me angry. I had to put my gear bag in a box and buy the extra insurance. I wasn't upset about having to check it, I was upset that different security people apply the policies differently.

Next time I'll just check it and save the hassle, because I never know what is going to happen.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I spent a week in Coolidge back in February. It was pretty much the same story with the rental car. The guy asked me to pop the trunk. I did and just a few seconds later I was on my in. And this was right next to the terminal (I think it was an Avis car).
I didn't mind the minimal hassle but it was pretty pointless. Unless you were stupid enough to put the bomb out in plain view, they would have never seen it.
-Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

Although I agree the security sucks, I don't really care. If someone wants to blow up a bunch of people, they probably wont use airports anymore. There are plenty of other places where there are lots of people together that have no security at all. I don't understand why they bother searching cars at airports at all. It seems so pointless.

I think the real security joke is the screening to get on the plane. After 9/11 I think we all understand the need for airline security a lot better, but I still don't think there's a whole lot stopping anyone from getting a weapon on a plane. The difference now is the law abiding passengers we're relying on to fight back have been disarmed of their pointy anti-terrorist weapons like nail files.

Dave

Well, I for one am glad that the alert security personnel at LAX are saving us all from the terrorist GI Joe organization. I'm telling you people, GI Joe is much more insidious than Al-Qaeda, and much, much better equipped. Wait and see, that will be where the next attack comes from!

ermmm...isn't that going a slight bit overboard?
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Well, I for one am glad that the alert security personnel at LAX are saving us all from the terrorist GI Joe organization. I'm telling you people, GI Joe is much more insidious than Al-Qaeda, and much, much better equipped. Wait and see, that will be where the next attack comes from!

Yeah! I mean, everybody knows that it's Cobra Commander that we should be worried about!

Dunno if GI Joe's a security hazard, but it sure could be a choking hazard! Just imagine it... pilot opens the cockpit door to use the bathroom, turbulence hits, 2 inch gun goes flying...

Them airport people are thinking hard about this stuff. My favorite post 9/11 security story so far is the world famous conductor that got his fancy balanced wooden baton taken away by security. He had to check it.

Dave

Man this is a major peeve of mine!!! >:(
Let's see... I can't take a pair of finger clippers on board because of the tiny nail file attached, but I can carry a heavy brass ball point pen with no problem. Show of hands... who wants to be stabbed with the pen and who wants the tiny nail file? Recently, my nephew was going through security and had one of those eye glass repair kits that his optomotrist had just given him earlier that day because he had screw that kept coming out of the frame, now we are talking the SSSSMMMAAALLLL kit, but there is a screw driver inside... they opened the damn kit (it was still sealed) and took out the mini screw driver because "screwdrivers" are on the banned list.
Everyone was sooooo upset (rightfully so) by 9/11 because it took away the sense of security that we had (guess what, it was an illusion to begin with). So our big solution is to pass laws and give up freedoms in the name of making us safer. Do I feel safer because Gomer Pyle is confiscating tiny screw drivers, nail files, and anything he doesn't know what to do with? Hell no! Do I feel safer because the FBI and anyother government agency can dance around the 4th amendment in the name of national security (considering they had the freaking info on the terrorist to begin with, but did nothing with it and wouldn't play nice and share with other agencies)? Hell no! The government is doing its best to lull us back into feeling secure with all the dorkey security meausures which accomplish nothing but wasting money and time. I'll take my chances that Granny isn't packing if it means I get through security quicker. I'll end my little rant now, but I don't know if I can deal with any more inane, useless, and costly rules that are issued in the name of my safety. [unsure]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"

Ummm true story:
4th July Independence Day. Bad day to pick to fly right?;)
Guy who was in front of me got strip searched, another businees class passenger was padded down. Me? They just x-ray'd my bag twice looked me up and down and let me through. The problem?
I'd just got a video camera, with all its little metal components; discman, with extra electrical wiring; ditter with batteries and an alti on board without them even glancing at my shoes. I had enough on me to make a bomb.
The bigger problem? I'd got a manicure kit of nail clippers, nail file AND scissors aboard an airbus on what was meant to be the tightest airport security day outside of upcoming Spetember 11. What was that story? That the head of Dallas airport security drove to Wyoming for his holiday...can't guess why!
However on that note, I could have got a "porcelain" sidearm onboard with alot less hassle.[:/]
Y'anyways, the point is that if we really do security properly, check every single bag by hand etc, they've already won 'cause we've lost our freedom.[:/]
Blue skies soft landings y'all (and scuse the spelling I'm sensory-dyslexic today!)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

My favorite is the "random" security checks at the gate. I dunno about other airlines, but it's pretty clear that Southwest bases their "randomness" at least in a big part on one way tickets. They assume terrorists are too stupid to buy return tickets to look less suspicious. My former roommate flew across the country the cheapest way he could find, which ended up having like 4 stops. He "randomly" got searched at every single stop. Eventually when they handed him a marked boarding pass he said he didn't like it and asked for another. In the end his conversation with the guy in charge almost got him kicked off the flight. :)
I recently flew southwest one way (took a train back), and I got searched. It was my first time after making lots of round trips. Coincidence? I think not. I'm all for searching the suspicious looking people and not doing it randomly or based on some kind of profile based on the ticketing.

Dave

I was at charlotte international yesterday getting ready for aflight to Co,when i got picked for a "random" search.after dumping everyting from my pockets I still set the detectors off.when they used to wand it went crazy.especially around my chest.the secruity guard looked a my funny and took a step back.I lifted my shirt to show my nipple ring and got the funniest look from him.he started saying tat now he has seen everything.the guy must be new.cause working in a fairly large airport I know he's had to come accross this before.thank fully besides the earings thats the only other piercing.I would havehated to further embarrasss him by having a prince albert and whipping it out right there in front of everybdy ijn the line.:ph34r:

Funny. I've taken my rig from Hobby to Ontario and back on Southwest over Easter with NO problems and
just got back from Rantoul and flew from Houston george Bush to Midway on Delta and Delta Connection Comair with my rig in a kitbag as a carry-on with no problems. I'm flying Northwest to O'Hare next weekend with my gear and also don't anticipate any problems. I agree that security is pretty much a hit and miss thing though. The powers to be in Skydiving are working with the TSA to make them aware of our situation with Cypres's etc but we're just not the big fish on their radar screen right now. Also the situation someone had with Jet Blue should be resolved now after their safety chief was put in touch with Southwest's and is now on board with the same policy in regards to rigs and Cypres. Though I'd let you folks know that. If you want to check your rig just lock it up in a hard side suitcase such as a Samsonite or one of those Pelican Cases you can purchase on line or at a scuba shop.

Gotta Run

Chris

but we're just not the big fish on their radar screen right now.

yep, but its hard to know what they're thinking, if anything...In late february my mother and I received word that my older brother had been critically injured in an accident in a bus crash while heading to a ski resort with his son (his son, age13, was not injured). So my mom & I got on the next plane to New Hampshire to visit him. At thispoint we were saying prayers because we weren't sure if my brother would pull through....Nevertheless, the airport security in their minimum-wage wisdom, saw fit to pull my mother aside for half an hour & go thru her luggage while letting the rest of the pasengers in. My mother is a 64 year old American grandmother. Not exactly a prime candidate to be an Al Quaeda terrorist, but of course we musn't be politically incorrect when we look for terrorists!!:Sbecause we wouldnt want to be accused of ethnic profiling!! sorry, I know I might get flamed for this. It's just that we were in a lot of stress re. my brother, not knowing if he'd live, and it seemed that excessively targeting a subject a unlikely as my mom seemed a bit unrealistic and excessive at the time...
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Same thing happened to me, but it gets worse!! Got pulled over at a roadblock searching for...wait for it....illegal weapons, they poked around under my seat, opened the trunk....PICKED UP!! 2 of my smoke canisters and never questioned me!!

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter

I found it really stupid that the airport security personnel at Cape Town airport confiscated a two-inch pair of nail clippers from my wife the other day when we flew to Johannesburg, but the flight crew then proceeded to arm us both with a full-size metal knife and fork when it was mealtime aboard the flight. Man, if I was going to cause shite with that clipper, imagine what I could do with that gleaming cutlery! :(

Not that I could really give a toss about the loss of the clippers, but I get worried about the level of insight on the part of these people who are responsible for our safety.

--
ZZZzzzz....

I hope this doesn't come as a shock to anyone, but airport security today would not stop the 9/11 hijackers if they tried it again this 9/11. Plastic boxcutters are radiotransparent without the blades; the blades, when seen on edge, look like a wire or the lead in a pencil. There is no mechanism to detect them, and if sewn into the lining of a bag, they would not even be detected during a hand search.

Most of the new security measures since 9/11 can be chalked up to the cries of the people of the US to "DO SOMETHING! ANYTHING!" about terrorism. Politicians, airports and airlines want to be seen as doing something, so they stop people and say they are searching their cars, and they do random searches of people. US air travelers are not willing to deal with El Al-style security (which _does_ work) and thus we will have this feel-good but not super effective new security for quite some time.

Future advances will help; 3D X-ray will help, as will wider acceptance of 100% baggage screening and mass spectrometer sampling for explosives. But nothing in the near future will stop an intelligent, determined suicide bomber from flying an airliner full of fuel (or a king air full of ANFO) into, say, the White House, Congress, the NYSE, or the Golden Gate Bridge. I think, in the future, we may start to see the value in eliminating the reasons people want to kill Americans so badly they are willing to sacrifice their own lives to do so.