drenaline

Old skydiving disciplines, wanna share your story?

Hi all, talking to a good friend who is an old skydiver told me that in the past there were some other disciplines than the ones we know now, care to share your stories? and maybe a video or pic?

He told me about one called Knee Flying and another one called Chute Assist (I think I said it right), Have you done this? Care to share the story?

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

>He told me about one called Knee Flying and another one
>called Chute Assist (I think I said it right), Have you done this?

Not that I'm an old-timer but here goes:

Chute assis is french for sitflying, it was originally called that everywhere. And AFAIK kneeflying is just sitflying with your legs folded underneath you...

>Have you done this?

Yeah I have a couple of sit-flying jumps...:P

Erno

Can someone explain to me what all that stuff they are doing with their hands is? I've seen this a few different times with RW teams doing their formations, between each point. What is that?

The "hand movement" you see RW teams doing between each point is called "flashing". It's done to show complete separation between points/formations especially since sometimes one may have the same grip on successive moves. It also serves as a way to "key" the next point.

Ah, that has to do with the advanced form called freefly puppetry. You'll noticed that not only do they flash the Praying Mantis, but also throw in the Double Funny Bunny.

This was all explained in a video shown last year at the Flyboyz Film Festival. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Very cool! I guess it is very possible to freefly in an RW suit. Has anybody tried it by any chance?

Yeah, standing in my RW suit with booties blew the booties off, made sitting a bit difficult at first, and makes headdown speed control less effective... (for me anyway, YMMV) :)

--
Hook high, flare on time

I guess it is very possible to freefly in an RW suit. Has anybody tried it by any chance?

Back in the day (i.e. before freeflying existed), we used to do stand ups in RW suits (it was an RW suit or no suit...). I've done some knee flying in an RW suit too. Haven't tried sitting or head down in a bootie suit, but I have tried sitting in a bootie-less RW suit with less than stellar results...

I thought it was about "old" disciplines, like style and accuracy.

:)
I think I should of mentioned old disciplines that didnt make it or that died after sometime.

I thought chute assis was FS but flying backwards (instead of docking with the hands the docks were with the legs) or something like that, it wasnt sit.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

In another thread, people were talking about an Enterprise formation. Are there any pictures or videos of this lying around?

There's a short series of pictures in "Skies Call" ( I don't remember which volume). I'll look tonight and scan in a picture if nobody posts one before then.

-----------

Years ago when we shot accuracy, it was with round mains, (Para commander or French Papillon, or the occasional Russian PC or Russian UT-15)....anyway accuracy was done with a DOWNWIND final.......this was decades before the downwind surfers of today!!!!.
We shot accuracy downwind, for at least these 2 reasons....it made for a smooth aggressive move to the target,(sometimes resulting in a huge scattering of the pea gravel!!)
and since the round canopies had only moderate forward speed, it saved the embarassment of coming up short, or of being blown backwards,,,!!! during an upwind final......
Only when the ram airs, para planes, and parafoils came on the scene, did the accuracy approaches turn around and start occuring in the upwind direction.....A welcome change for all the accuracy lovers, who had learned, by pounding in on a downwind final........."Upwind,,, downwind,,,what's the difference,, since today most people consider accuracy to be as simple as "hitting the drop zone, while under canopy" hahaha. Ask some jumpers today, what a "disc" is, and they'll probably answer,,,,"that's what my buddy slipped,,,, when he miscalculated his last turf surf !!!!".....signed a past ,present, and future accuracy enthusiast.........