tsalnukt

"setting the lines"

To set the lines or not. That is the question.

We were having a discussion as to whether or not you must "set the lines" after replacing a line set on a parachute. By setting the lines I mean doing a sub-terminal opening before taking the brand new line set to terminal.

Thoughts or ideas??????

Thanks

tsalnukt

We were having a discussion as to whether or not you must "set the lines" after replacing a line set on a parachute. By setting the lines I mean doing a sub-terminal opening before taking the brand new line set to terminal.

Thoughts or ideas??????

Thanks

I don't think there is anything in the manuals from the mfgs about that, so I would say you are already getting their advice in their manual.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thoughts or ideas??????

Negative.
You can go straight to a terminal deployment.

Never heard of that theory BTW....

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

JerryBaumchen

Hi Mark,

You would have if you were jumping in the 60's; it was a known 'fact' back then.

B|

JerryBaumchen

What is the supposed result of not "setting the lines" properly?

I've heard the story that you are supposed to do it, and that it isn't true, but I've never heard why you should do it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

JerryBaumchen

Hi Mark,

You would have if you were jumping in the 60's; it was a known 'fact' back then.

B|

JerryBaumchen

When I got my PC in 1970 I was told to basicly repeat student progression to "set the stitches" or else there was a good chance it would blow up.

I didn't.

It didn't.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

darkwing

It is nonsense. Do you do it to reserves? Or new mains?

If you're re-lining a reserve, minas well just let the owner jump it, cause apparently he chops a lot anyways.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

You missed my point. Any new canopy effectively is a reline, and the lines aren't "set." Neither a new main nor a new reserve have the lines "set" but nobody worries about setting those lines. My questions were intended to argue against the need to set lines on a relined main.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

tsalnukt

Thoughts or ideas??????

Thanks

Complete crap. Just another case of over-think on someone's part. When in doubt, call John LeBlanc. ;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

JerryBaumchen

Hi Mark,

B|

JerryBaumchen

Pssst

Back in the days of rounds, and walking back to the dz.

The suspension lines were made of 550 cord. Now the suspension lines are made of different materials, that exhibit different properties.

Different materials and construction methods. With 550 cord we were supposed to set the lines, but didn't have to replace the lines unless something bad happened.

These day you don't have to set the lines but on some canopies the dental floss suspension lines (string;)) have to be inspected, replaced, on a routine basis. 550 cord lasted almost forever.

Got it.;)
One Jump Wonder

I wonder if "stretching the lines" made sense in the days of ParaCommanders due to the high stretch of the 550 cord. To what degree lines actually took a relatively permanent "set", I don't know. (It won't quite be the same as just the elastic vs. plastic region for deformation of material, as we are talking about woven material.)

When the industry got into Spectra, there some stretching is done at the factory. After all, one can't cut Spectra line to a consistent length unless one applies some force to take the initial stretch out of it.

One reason to do a hop and pop on a new canopy is as a quality control check to see that it is flying OK. Perhaps safer at lower speed (and higher altitude) than at terminal (and lower down.) (And of course a hop and pop can be a quality control check for the jumper's piloting skills too...)

Hi Peter,

I wonder if "stretching the lines" made sense in the days of ParaCommanders

Having read nearly all of yours posts since I joined this dizzy.com group, you should have been around in the 60's. You would have thrived in the 'discussions' back then.

I.e., two subjects for 'discussion' were:

- Did you have to take a new canopy on a couple of hop 'n' pops to 'set the lines' or not. Some argued you had to and some just took their new ParaCommanders out to terminal and moved on. How many people back then took their new Security 26 ft conical reserve canopies on hop 'n' pops to 'set the lines?' Nope, no one; and if you had to use it at terminal it did seem to work OK.

- Piggyback vs conventional gear; conventional gear was main on the back & reserve in a gut pack.

Oh, the 'discussions' we had on Saturday nights down at the taverns. B|B|B|

As I say, you would have loved it.

JerryBaumchen

I think the actual issue is more about low altitude and short delay when trying a new parachute system or jumping a rig for the first time.
I would not worry particularly about lines to be set but about anything which can go wrong because of the rig or because of the jumper.
When jumping a new system, it is a good idea of trying it for a short delay just because that involves less opening forces, just in case something let go.
Also trying a new system at low altitude makes that if something goes wrong and you need to cut away, you will have less chance to lose your main and free bag/pilot chute.
I know a guy who was jumping a used rig for the first time and jumping at high altitude. For whatever reason, it became unstable and decide to cut away at 10 000 feet or so. Well he lost his main.>:(

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hi Andre',

When jumping a new system, it is a good idea of trying it for a short delay just because that involves less opening forces, just in case something let go.

'Back in the day' when the Visions/Coors 8-way team got their new US Team rigs, Craig Fronk just strapped his new rig on & went up on a jump; only to find the main canopy on backwards. It had come that way from whomever had assembled & packed the US Team rigs.

B|

JerryBaumchen

erdnarob

When asked about what kind of AAD I have, I answer it is my St Christopher medal ;). BTW I have a Vigil II

Same thing:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?