Milo

DZ sued to provide interpreter for deaf jumper

>HASTINGS -- A deaf skydiver is accusing a Hastings company of
> discrimination because it refused to provide a sign-language
> interpreter for pre-jump training.

I jumped with a deaf guy at Rantoul this year. He was the only one who could understand my pep talks in the Skyvan - he could read lips. Perhaps this woman could do the same. (Of course, that would make her a non-victim and we can't have that.)

It apears to me that Hastings has tried to be fair and work with her in the past. I am sure it took extra staff time to prepare her to jump. Also the last time I checked all freefall instructions are in sign (relax, pull, arch etc..) I think it should be pointed out to her that skydiving is a privlige not a right.

So her interview was written, but she couldn't read and write well enough to understand to arch and pull?

I know this will come as a shock, but I could go on forever bitching about shit like this. :)

-S

This is CRAP!!!

If she needs an interpretor, then she should pay an interpretor... it should not be an issue that the 16 people she gathered up should split the cost if they "won't jump without one". It makes me soooooooo angry when people use their disabilities to force others into doing things.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

(Of course, that would make her a non-victim and we can't have that.)

------------

"Hi, yeah, this is Nail, yeah, I'm being hit on the head."

:)

-S

My sister is profoundly deaf. She has accepted there are certain things she can't do.

However, she could certainly skydive if she wanted to. I find it hard to believe that among 16 people there isn't one hearing family member or friend who would be willing to conduct the interpretation, if they felt that was necessary.

There was a deaf world record formation skydive set in San Marcos this year. I wonder how they learned.

People are too quick to turn to the courts. The last sentence of the article really says a lot to me about this woman's personality.
Skydiving is for cool people only

This isn't even AFF or SL or anything, just tandeming. The lady tandemed with them before, a friend volunteered to do sign for her on the instructions.

She enjoyed it so much she put together a group of 16 deaf people to also do a tandem. She was just put off by the DZ not hiring an interpreter for the group.

The DZs position is that written instructions/subtitled videos are enough(and it's worked well in the past) and the cost of the intepreter is 400 bucks, twice the cost of a tandem.

Too bad there's no local organization that just couldn't volunteer the time for an interpreter.

The sad thing is this could've been great PR for the DZ. What local paper wouldn't want to do a story on 16 deaf people making a skydive?

n spite of the controversy, Gingery said she wants people to know she is able to drive, watch television and do normal everyday things many people do.

"I am tired of many hearing people thinking that deaf people are different; the only thing we cannot do is hear," Gingery said.

Hmmmmmm....

Methinks if she reads and writes well enough to watch tv, drive a car, go grocery shopping, clothes shopping, and whatnot, then she can read and write well enough to handle skydiving as a tandem...with no additional assistence via an interpreter from the dz itself.

If I am not greatly mistaken, she also receives $$ from her state for a permanent disability...which, again if I am not mistaken (and I could be) is to assist in providing for "uncommon" needs, like an interpreter. And lastly, if 16 of them were willing to pay an extra $25, then the cost of the interpreter ($400) would have been covered, and at very little cost per person. But perhaps that's a tad too personally responsible and reasonable?

Furthermore, I see many people who are not fluent in english do a tandem...from many diverse national and ethnic backgrounds. They are not requiring a translator, and all seem to make it through the tandem training without a problem.

Lastly, she went tandem (as best I can figure) three times. She "survived" it three times, and obviously had a good time or she wouldn't have come back. How inferior was her training?

Ciels and Pinks-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

People are too quick to turn to the courts. The last sentence of the article really says a lot to me about this woman's personality.

While in Highschool, I took a sign-language course and could carry a conversation pretty well. The course included lots of really neat info on different hearing disorders and the technology of hearing aids and stuff like that. We were also taught that dealing with deaf people may take a lot of patience as many of them try to give the hearing a hard time. At first, I thought this to be a blatant generalization but you know what? Being Deaf is not a disorder if you've been deaf since birth or a young age (our friend in Hastings has been deaf since 2). Rather, it just puts you into another culture. I can tell you now that I've met people at bars, amusement parks, retaurants etc. just because they were signing to eachother and I jumped in.... All were very pleased to see that a hearing person had put time and effort into being able to learn their language and comunicate with them. I stoped feeling sorry for the deaf... I'm not ashamed to admit it and people like this girl flat-out make me sick!!! I mean, her excuse is that sign is her language and it is different from the written english languange but she DOES know how to read!!! I speak both English and French but I never asked my DZ to provide a french translator just because the two were different... Sorry for going on and on I'm just sick I tell you SICK! B|:ph34r::|

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I have two uncles that are deaf. The contrast between the two of them is incredible.

One has a very "can-do" attitude, and works well in the hearing world. He is assertive in making sure he understands what is going on, but has a clue that the world doesn't stop on a dime to provide translation. He thinks it is great if there are interpreters at big events, but if there aren't, he'll ask to get a seat up front so he can read lips. He deafness doesn't stop him from doing what he wants to do.

The other uncle is about the direct opposite. He has a "cater to me" attitude. He refuses to do things if there is no interpreter. He wails about civil liberties and the law, regardless of the fact that in some situations, people can't afford to pay for an interpreter. He has isolated himself in the deaf community.

The person in the article is kind of silly to sue, even though she is probably completely within her rights to do so. In many places, the law does require the company to provide an interpreter. In the case of 16 deaf/hearing impaired tandems, I think the DZ could have gone to a little more effort. Make a few phone calls. Their is probably someone willing to do it for free/reduced fee. Some news or deaf organizations would foot the bill just to do an interesting story about so many hearing impaired jumpers.

There are many ways in which I envy deaf people...at the same time, though, we live in a world that revolves around the hearing, which is completely understandable. For that reason, I do see it as a disability, but not in the way that many see it.

I have taken people on tandems to whom I could not say a word (japanese), as well as taken deaf people to whom I could sign. I was very happy to be able to sign to the passengers, but if I weren't there, they wouldn't have complained or been turned away. The funniest part about them was the fact that they were from Germany...the mother did not speak English nor ASL...the daughter's first language was German Sign, second was German, third was English, and fourth was ASL. So, english was in no way her native language, and she didn't bitch and moan about having to read and write to be understood when I wasn't around.

For some in this world, it's all about being a victim. It's sad.

-S

"I am tired of many hearing people thinking that deaf people are different; the only thing we cannot do is hear,"

So since she is so much like us she can do without a translator, correct? Well, she did slap em with a lawsuit... guess she isn't that different.

Lipreading was mentioned above... is that not her style either? 3 ways she can communicate (counting the texts) and everyone else has to conform to her "prefered" way?

If we follow this woman's way of thinking far enough every place of business in the country would be required by law to have translators on hand that could communicate in every language.

I only know one thing in sign language... fortunately it's the only thing I'd want to say to this woman.
*loads a one finger salute*

[rant] This is such horse shit. If she needed an interpretor to skydive then she WOULD NOT HAVE GONE SKYDIVING THREE TIMES WITH THEM!!!! She can obviously handle it without. She has no case in the laws of logic and common sense. But common sense is not common. I just hope Hastings has enough money for the lawyer to fight this. There's only justice if you can afford it. [/rant]

Chris

I'm thinking this is a pretty obvious ADA test case. There is a pretty heavy sub-text in what the student has to say in the last couple of paragraphs of the story. Unfortunately, my guess is that Hastings will probably lose.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hmm. This is interesting.

I wonder about those dropzones close by the border, like in El Paso, San Marcos, SPI, Eloy, Perris... will they be sued because they don't have Spanish-language Tandem and AFF courses? These students have no way of communicating with the DZ staff.

I doubt this case will succeed considering that the dropzone provided written materials to the student, which is sufficient communication, although it is not the type of communication that the student preferred.

I do wonder about the success of individuals who aren't able to speak English, since many of them, primarily Spanish-only speakers, have won numerous court cases over the nature and substance of contractual agreements. Is an English waiver signed by a student who only speaks Spanish valid? (answer: probably not).

This subject may or may not come up in your home town that often, but where I live (San Antonio), it's a daily occurrence.

Food for thought. (¡Comida por tu cabeza!)

Damn my spelling!

Unfortunately, my guess is that Hastings will probably lose.

--------------

What they would be saying by doing that is that EVERY business would be required to have an interpreter available at all times. The dropzone would have opportunity to get an interpreter based on the fact that they have reservations...to say that part of the ADA states that an interpreter must be available, that would mean that restaurants would have to have interpreters for their menus, that stores would have to have interpreters to tell the person how much their total is, because they don't WANT to read it off of the monitor, etc. etc. etc. There are so many ramifications that would follow this decision, that I have a feeling that they will be pointed out (if Hastings' attorney is worth a damn), and they will be considered by the court. Especially with the statements made by the lady in the interview...we're not talking about someone who is uneducated, she knows how to read and write...it wasn't a matter of what she could and could not do...I think they'll see the stupidity and manipulation in this and rule in the DZ's favor.

At least I would hope. :)

-S

That is my home dz (that is where I learned to skydive). That is where I met gravitysurf808. And the lawyer is our brother and fellow skydiver.

I just want to show support for Skydive Hastings. It is the best student dz I've ever been to. I learned a lot there and will always call it home. There is some awesome family there. GOT MUCH LOVE FOR YA SKYDIVE HASTINGS!! GO KICK SOME ASS IN THAT COURTROOM!!!!!!

ADA- American Dental Association.....Standing up for the rights of teeth everywhere!!!

....hehehe....(I work for a branch of Delta Dental)...