jfields

Serious But Strange Question for You Moms

Okay...

I have a serious but somewhat strange question for all you skydiving moms out there:

What experiences do you have with breastfeeding and milk production? I'm talking about after things have been going well for awhile. Do you have any suggestions for increasing milk production if it starts to decline? I've heard people suggest the following:

Drinking more fluids (seems to make sense)
Taking fenugreek tablets
Drinking moderate amounts of beer

My five month old daughter is becoming quite the chow-hound. She is drinking enough that we are dipping into the frozen supply from when she was younger, along with nursing. We are looking to hold out for a little while (month or so) longer before introducing other foods. But from my understanding, some of the cereals get mixed with breast milk, which means that the demand really doesn't lighten up much.

Some of the internet materials I've found have been either derrogatory or contradictory, so I was wondering what real experiences or anecdotal findings you have. This isn't so off-topic for the forums. After all, it is about boobies. :)
Thoughts or suggestions?

And before any of you smart-ass guys jump in, I am not the one doing the breastfeeding. I'm just the one that frequents an internet forum. I predict the thread to hit the gutter about... instantaneously. ;)

My daughter which is 7 now started eating the cereal at 4 months. Not much but her doctor said she would sleep with some cereal. Ask your doctor but I think babies need some cereal. again ask your doc. I do not want to give you the wrong advice all babies have different needs.:)

Farley's Rusks.
If you leave them in milk they turn to a soft mush but you can make them gradually more solid by adding less milk.
I used to steal 6 at a time when my neice and nephew were younger. Brother got pissed and started slapping me mainly as I beat him to them. Selfish bastard

I would nurse every 3-4 hours then pump 1.5 to 2 hours after nursing and freeze it. I would also put a tsp of cereal in the bottle about 8 pm with an ounce of milk for them to "tide them over until the 9:30 pm nightly ritual before bed. They slept well after than and I could pump again before I went to bed.

Staying hydrated is also VERY good advice. I was told to drink a gallon of liquids a day. Sounds like lots but your body needs it to produce the milk. I can still drink lots of liquids....I just prefer them to be stronger :o.

Good luck and don't give up...mental is half the battle.

Lisa

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

:)My doctor went by babies weight. When they were 10lbs. it was time to slowly start introducing pablum (mixed with tiny bit of water) The babies salavia has to be produced enough to digest cereal and alot of mom's start feeding pablum too soon....babies get colic as they cannot digest properly. Doctors know best.

Smiles.

Hey Justin,
"Put a pump session in between the regular feedings and you'll be fine."

Susie has just started expressing, which is quite cool, cos now I get to feed the wee fella.
I'm pretty sure she has some websites at home, I'll PM them to ya later. I'm pretty sure its also OK to mix formula feeds with the natural feeds, maybe alternate them to give Jenn a break.

"but that's weird to watch, though"

Ain't it the truth!:)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Saw this sick show on TV (and if it's on TV, it's true...right?) with a woman that was breast-feeding her dog (after her baby had long stopped breastfeeding and was practicly shaving himself already:) ...WHATS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!

That has got to be on of the sickest things I've ever seen...(although the internet makes me refine the term 'sickest I've ever seen' almost constantly)
Been trying ever since to get the image erased from my mind...no succes so far...*curls up in agony*
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

>although the internet makes me refine the term 'sickest I've ever
>seen' almost constantly

It'll only do that if you try...

>Been trying ever since to get the image erased from my mind...no
>succes so far...*curls up in agony*

There threre. Look up the boobie-pic Skymama posted, that'll at least replace the mental image in your head with something else(but I can't promise your eyes will survive the ordeal...):P:S

>"Ello....I'm from holland..isn't that vierd..?"

Obviously, yes!;)

Thanks for all the replies and private messages, folks!

Some helpful ideas and comments. I'm going to print them all out and give them to my wife.

I can be supportive and I try to help as much as I can, but I (unlike Clay) do not have boobs! ;)

It is a lot of fun to bottle feed Lucy, now that I've gotten the hang of it. It took awhile to get cued in to her signals. I tried to feed her when she really wasn't interested, which didn't work. Now if she does that, I wait 30 minutes and try again. Much less aggravation for both of us.

Breast pumps are just the freakiest things. :$:)