CanuckInUSA

Murphy's Law or Catch-22

Since I had to jump my pack job in order to obtain my "A" License, I figured I might have a fighting chance at packing my new rig. But I don't know if I've hit a Murphy's Law situation or is it just Catch-22.

Ok now, since I'm new to the sport, I jump in Colorado (altitude issues) and relatively big (bones, muscle and yes some fat on this camper), my first main canopy is pretty big (a Triathlon 220). And on top of that it's a ZP canopy. So it seems that us newbies with large ZP canopies just get screwed when it comes to trying to pack. I think I've got the flaking part down pretty well, but my problem is getting the damm thing in the "D" bag. Well after four attempts, I finally forced it in, but I'm not sure I'd like to jump this pack job as I was squishing that canopy all over the place.

I will try again, but now I need to rest and eat something. Aghhh :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Now I'm not recommending doing this ...but when I first started packinf a ZP I couldnt get it in the bag either ...one time I got it "S" folded and half way in when it all came out...I got pissed picked the whole "mess" up and threw it down on the ground....one of our packers came over to see what the problem was ....and then asked if I wanted him to get it in the bag ..I said sure ..but I jsut threw the it down all pissed of..I need to repack it ...."no you dont " he replied....He then waded it all up ..made some kinda "S" fold and stuffed it in......needless to say I was nervous to jump it but it was one of the softess openings I ever had!!!!!

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

Had a guy tell me last weekend who supposedly stuffed his main in a paper bag, went on a hop-n-pop and jumped... threw the bag away and it opened, how true this is I don't know,, but I have always heard that you are really packing your lines, you play with the canopy itself to prevent neck breakers, and that the pareachutes are dumb...they want to be open and are designed to do that

just a thought

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

Yeah, same here.. When I first started packing, it might take me 3 or 4 tries to get it in the bag. Some of my sloppiest pack jobs have been the softest, most on heading openings I've had. It didn't help that the bag is a little small for my main. Betsy showed me a different way to pack where you put half the canopy in the bag then the other half. Made my life SOO much easier.Someone here once said "You're canopy WANTS to open" and it is so true.

You'll get it, just keep practicing...
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Ask the packers how they do it. Some(most?) wont be able to tell you, not because they don't want to, but because they don't know how they do it! So find someone who does, and learn the tricks on how to slip the MF into the bag. I'd tell you my technique, but it would be next to impossible over the Net, I'd really have to show it to you in person...

Erno

ok i got a 210 triathalon and it was a SOB to pack. but compared to other zp canopies its a breeze. the trick i have found is to get the mummy wrap tight on the ground and when your laying on it on the ground , before you get up put your forearm across the top until you are ready to start the s-fold...this buys you a few seconds till it starts to reinflate. and once i have the 1st part of the s-fold done i kneel on it (wear your jump suit no skin contact or the canopie will stick to you a little.)bring the second half up to your chest, put your arm half way down and fold over your arm. now you have your arm inside the s-fold, use your body to squeeze the air out. get off the first s-fold and put the second on top and get back on it with your knees. now you can attempt to get it in the bag by shoving the corner of the canopy all the way into the corner of the bag then repeat the other side. dont take your knee off the canopy until you have the bag started over the canopy. remember the top third of the greyhound bus you fly does not have any lines in it so you can pretty much cram it in as much as you like (kind of remindes me of other things as wellB|) good luck. oh one guy here had his little 6 yo. girl pack his for him and it worked so dont stress too much.

I am the light my son...What you seek is fire

To be quite honest, most of my pack jobs are messier than a soup sandwich...I've had about 3 neat pack jobs, and they are actually the ones I was worried about...everything opens fine all the time.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

To be quite honest, most of my pack jobs are messier than a soup sandwich...I've had about 3 neat pack jobs, and they are actually the ones I was worried about...everything opens fine all the time.

man, I feel you. Its those packs where everything falls into the D bag so easily and you're thinking to your self, "Oh, shit! Something had got to be wrong, that was way to easy.":o

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

"Had a guy tell me last weekend who supposedly stuffed his main in a paper bag, went on a hop-n-pop and jumped... threw the bag away and it opened, how true this is I don't know,,"

Seen it, done it, can't really recommend it...But it does work.

On the ZP packing issues, have a look at Brent Finley's page, its got some good pics and tips...

http://www.brentfinley.com/packing2.htm

Or try a search for Psycho pack...

Or, the way I learned, pack it, open it , pack it, open it, pack it, open it get the picture.....Helps if a packer or rigger looks on and advises, so buy them some beer....I don't hold with the recent trend of having to pay to learn how to pack....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I tried another pack job later in the evening last night, and that attempt was much more successful (so much so that I think I would jump it). I still need tons more practice, but thanks to my last attempt, I have more confidence that I can do it.

Thank to all who tried to give me some tips. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I don't know anyone that has tried this. I was visiting Taylorvile and one of the JMs was describing a professional DZ packer who used a shop-vac on the tandem rigs. He had a long wand attachment with a piece of mesh screen over the end to keep the material out. Flake it, lay it down and slide the wand under the center cell and suck the air out.

I've been wanting to try it myself but I don't have the shop-vac.