weegegirl

Driving under the influence. What's okay?

Leave a anonymous note on his car that says the authorities have been warned and have his license plate number. I bet he'll think twice next time.

You know what? That's a damn great idea. I'm going to go out to his truck tonight and leave him a little love note. :| Thanks, Dove!

lol..The difference between "Rights" and "Privilege" is anything but simple. The Webster's Dictionary defines "Privilege" 1) A right, advantage, favor,or immunity granted to some person, group of person, or class ect..ect.. 2) A basic civil right, guaranteed by a government..ect..ect..ect. So I guess it's not that great of simple fact call.
I never ever said it was O.K to drive drunk, I said it's Not O.K, The point I'm trying to get threw to people is that these laws are getting excessive, And I'm not talking about arresting or punishment of the drunk drivers.I'm talking about the laws that treat adults like children, Like If I buy a 6 pack a mile from my house, I'm not allowed to open a beer in the car on my way home. If I'm in a mall and I want to drive to the other side of the mall I have to, by law, put my seat belt on. If I'm on my way to work the night shift I have to be late because the kustopo I mean police have a road block checking all motorists to see if there is anyone drinking or breaking road rules. If I want to drive My motorcycle to my neighbors house a block down the road I have to put on a helmet.(Diff state laws vary).
What I'm saying is just because it's a law don't mean it is right, I feel you will understand when you want to B.A.S.E off a national park cliff. Or when the people start saying skydiving is dangerous and want to ban it also.Don't laugh and say Naw it won't happen. More simple right have been denied in this country due to close minded law makers.
I was asked my opinion, don't flame me when I give it.

------Have a good one!--------

• There is a death caused by a motor vehicle crash every 12 minutes; there is a disabling injury every 14 seconds.

• Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for people ages 1 to 33.

• The age groups most affected by motor vehicle crashes are 15-24 and 75+.

• About 3 in every 10 Americans will be involved in an alcohol-related traffic accident at some time in their lives.

In 2000, there were a total of 41,821 traffic fatalities in the United States. Without looking anything up, who'd like to take a guess at the number of deaths from drugs, alcohol, or firearms?

The answer is clear, we need to ban alcohol AND cars. Ahhh.... a world where only motorcycles are allowed on the roads.... my kind of place....
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Firearms I think a saw a stat that said about 28,000 in 2000.

Either way these are scary statistics, way too many lives being wasted.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Firearms I think a saw a stat that said about 28,000 in 2000

Close enough. Now if you really want to get depressed about it (no pun intended) factor out suicide firearm deaths, which has normally been slightly over 55% of total firearm deaths.
(one number gun control advocates leave out.... 30,000 deaths by firearms sounds a lot better than 13,000.)
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

My mom was killed when changing a flat tire by a DRUNK,I was 3.

OMG! I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't immagine the pain and confusion (due to being so young) this must have caused you. My only hope is that the DRUNK that did it has it within him/her to think about his/her actions and their results over.... and over and over again!

If you drink, Don't drive! You've all heard it haven't you? I mean SHIT!

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

2) A basic civil right, guaranteed by a government..ect..ect..ect. So I guess it's not that great of simple fact call.

Yes it is!! Drivng a car is not a basic civil right. And it is not guaranteed by a government. Thus, it does not fit into 2nd description of a privilege.

The point I'm trying to get threw to people is that these laws are getting excessive, And I'm not talking about arresting or punishment of the drunk drivers.I'm talking about the laws that treat adults like children, Like If I buy a 6 pack a mile from my house, I'm not allowed to open a beer in the car on my way home. If I'm in a mall and I want to drive to the other side of the mall I have to, by law, put my seat belt on. If I'm on my way to work the night shift I have to be late because the kustopo I mean police have a road block checking all motorists to see if there is anyone drinking or breaking road rules

[Analogy] You come to my house and I ask you to take off your shoes upon entering... you tell me: "but my shoes aren't dirty!" And I retort: "I don't CARE! Take your shoes off before walking on my $70/yrd RUG!" [/Analogy]

Is this 'treating you like a child'? The roads are given to the people by the government. The government does so at the cost of taxes and that they are used safely and responsibly. Simple rules are put into place because people are different... "Don't drink while driving"... "But I'm not drunk"... "I don't care! Don't drink BOOZE before driving on my roads!"... "Those guys are the kustopo!"

Act like a child, you get treated like one... PUT YOUR HELMET ON! It doesn't matter how far you're going! A fatal crash can take as little as 0.3 seconds!!!!! divide the time it takes to go "a block down the road" into 0.3 second intervals and give it a good thought... Please.

Nick
Don't mean to be harsh, just think that risk (of all types) should be minimized by whatever means possible.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Goose wrote:

Is this 'treating you like a child'? The roads are given to the people by the government. The government does so at the cost of taxes and that they are used safely and responsibly. Simple rules are put into place because people are different... "Don't drink while driving"... "But I'm not drunk"... "I don't care! Don't drink BOOZE before driving on my roads!"... "Those guys are the kustopo!"

Every time you try to give people the benefit of the doubt, some jerk figures out a way to exploit that loophole just as far as they can. And then a little too far. So they end up costing someone else their life, or property, and then eventually everyone else loses out because the loophole is closed.
People who figure out the loophole feel so cooooool too. How to exploit the rules. Who cares if it costs later, I got mine today!
Yes, we have the right to do stupid things in the US. But as soon as we exercist that right too aggressively, we hurt other people, or we cost them in insurance or public health money. Who then exercise their right not to be hurt, by enacting laws.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

And it is not guaranteed by a government. Thus, it does not fit into 2nd description of a privilege.

I copied that from a old Webster New World Dictionary so if you have a problem with the definition contact them.

[Analogy]

You come to my house and I ask you to take off your shoes upon entering... you tell me: "but my shoes aren't dirty!" And I retort: "I don't CARE! Take your shoes off before walking on my $70/yrd RUG!"

Did you get new rug?? I could turn and walk away.My decision.

The government does so at the cost of taxes and that they are used safely and responsibly.

First I ever heard a non-american say the U.S government was safe and responsible..Case of beer.

Act like a child, you get treated like one... PUT YOUR HELMET ON! It doesn't matter how far you're going! A fatal crash can take as little as 0.3 seconds!!!!! divide the time it takes to go "a block down the road" into 0.3 second intervals and give it a good thought...***

Are you my Mother??

I will not sit here and quibble with you over definitions and rights with a fine tooth brush. My point is that Some laws are to excessive and more thought needs to be put into alot of them.

just b/c its a law doenst make it right

Did you get new rug?? I could turn and walk away.My decision.

youre absolutely right...
and you still have a decision.. drink OR drive! which one you choose is up to you. but dont do both! see the gov't does treat you like an adult sometimes.
My photos

My Videos

Back in the 1970s and 1980s I used to drive drunk on a regular basis. Often I was way over the published limit.
Police allowed me through one road block while I was drunk. On two other occaissions, police pulled me over while I was drunk, I even had one fender-bender while driving drunk. None of those police officers even asked if I had been drinking, much less laid charges.
Familiarity breeds contempt.
I eventually lost all respect for all drug laws, and quit doing all drugs. The strongest drug I do these days is caffeine.
The current situation with Canadian laws on drugs, especially marijuana is a farce. Most Canadians do not care if you smoke, they just don't want people smoking while driving. Canadian police and courts routinely ignore 90% of marijuana. The only reason marijuana is still illegal in Canada is because the Americans impose their laws on other countries.
The fastest way to bred contempt for the law is to keep a law on the books that is not enforced.

and you still have a decision.. drink OR drive! which one you choose is up to you.***

Yeah I agree with you, If I have more then 2 beers I'm staying, maybe a third if I eat.
Now can I cruise the bike around the park with out my helmet?B|

My point is that Some laws are to excessive and more thought needs to be put into alot of them.

If that is your point, that is fine. You can write your congressional representatives to try to get something done about it. But, the point of this thread was abiding by the laws, whether you agree with them or not. And for the record, why did you call my last reply to you a flame. I don't think that was a flame. Driving is not a right, and you can argue the semantics of the word privilege if you want, but the reality is that driving is something that citizens are allowed to do, provided that we abide by the laws that govern it. Can I not make a point without being called a flamer? Geez! :|

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!