AirTime

What kind of car/truck should a sky diver drive?

The lease on my little Cavalier is going to be up in a couple of months. This time around I want to buy, but I’m not sure what to get. I’d really appreciate hearing your opinions. What kind of vehicle do you think a sky diver should have? :)

The Paranoids are after me! The Paranoids are after me!

A maroon 1998 Chevy k1500 Z-71 with a 5.7L 350...
:P

Nice to have, fun to drive, hard to get stuck some where. Even nice to have when you're pulling some pussy-trucks (read: Ford/Dodge) out of the mud at a dropzone (did that at Spaceland last time I was there.).B|:P

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

front-hood.GIF

front-side1.gif

I've had my S-10 Blazer as long as my license, and it's done right by me. SUVs are good stuff. Same with vans. Station wagons if you're really hard up on cash.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

The cheapest one you can find... used at that. Anything newer then half your age is bordering on to new. I'm missing my 86 Skylark at 28 mpg's now days. Anything over 8000 is just a waste of jump ticket money. It only has to have enough trunk to fit your rig in and thats it, any more gear then that and you just stick it with some oen else going that don't have as muuch jump money as you since they paid way too much for their car. An old van worth 500 is the perfect jumper transportation.

If its a good boogie (WFFC) all you need is a wallet and you can buy everything else there.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't recommend this, mind you, but I was standing in the dz parking lot one day and a guy drives up in an old Gremlin. He took the passenger seat out and laid a board in there. A sleeping bag was on it. Behind the drivers seat, he had taken out the window and put in a very small window a/c unit.
He bought some jump tickets and said he was going to the VA for his meds and would be back in the morning for the first load. Seemed he spent a lot of time in that car.

I dunno, I like my Dodge Neon...I would think a skydiver would want to drive something with good gas mileage.

Just think how much you'd be spending on gas for an SUV! That's a lot of jumps...

My current dream car is either a VW Jetta TDI (49 mpg), a Mini Cooper S, or a Subaru WRX
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

For not much $$ you really can't go wrong with a VW Type II (old VW vans). Get a Westfalla(sp?), its the camper conversion.:)
Actually, you know what I would love for a skydiving vehicle? An old panel delivery van, like a UPS van, you could turn that into something really cool. That or an old school bus, a short one (yeah, yeah, the "short bus").

Get an Explorer sport they are pretty good, especially the newer one with the wider body and the wheelbase has been legythend. If you don't get one of those I would get the following in this order

1) Toyota Tacoma
2) Dodge Dakota
3)Chevy Impala
4)Pontiac GTP
5)If you can affor t get a Dodge Durango

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

Actually, I get better mileage in my 1988 Blazer than most friends do in their 'normal' cars.

It's an S-10, so it's kinda small, [REALLY small compared to these new ones] but big enough that I can cram a fold out loveseat bed cushion in the back and sleep like a king.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

It would have to be a small SUV. I don't have big buck to spend at least not yet?

You JUST missed it. I just sold my El Camino two weeks ago. It had a topper with an interior light and screened side vent windows. The bed had piece of plywood in it that was covered with soft carpet. Didn't even need a sleeping bag. Spent many a happy night in the dz parking lot in that baby.

You JUST missed it. I just sold my El Camino two weeks ago. It had a topper with an interior light and screened side vent windows. The bed had piece of plywood in it that was covered with soft carpet.

Did the sale include a free mullet? It's a safe bet to find someone with a mullet or a Poison concert T-shirt near most El Caminos...:P

Spent many a happy night in the dz parking lot in that baby.

I know what you mean, the only thing with me is that my truck is a short bed, so I have to have the tailgate down to fit (especially with the tool box)...

Not a bad thing to have though, a truck and an air matress.

aggsleep1-small.jpg