annaandbob

a few million $ needed

I heard roumors around a DZ that a few people were working with the cell compaines to determine some future antenna locations and want to buy the land and insist on rights to climb in the deal with the tower companies.. ;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Winter is just about here in Michigan. I want to build a wind tunnel. Anyone got a few $$$$$$ they can lend me

After having been in a wind tunnel with industrial air-handlers pulling outside air through the tunnel at 100mph, I am imagining Michigan in the winter. 10 deg air at 100mph...brrrrrrrr....

This makes me wonder. Do the tunnels really make that much money. Of course Skyventure does because of their location. But what about other locations. Skydivers seem to be as poor as shit. Just wondering.

Skydivers seem to be as poor as shit

Skydivers don't support wind tunnels. Whuffo tourists paying $35 for a 2 minute ride do. It takes a tourism base to support a tunnel. I have a nice location picked out.....I just need the $500,000 or so to get the loan for the land and construction. [:/]

>Skydivers seem to be as poor as shit

Yeah... with at 4000 rig, 1500 camera, 300 helmet, 200 altimeter, 300 audible, training at 1800, jumpsuit at 250, etc they are the poorest people around.... Skydivers just devote everything to jumping and not anything else...like homes, cars, things like that.

Selling tunnel time in hour blocks, not shutting it down for hours due to popular demand with teams helps to pay the bills and the profit comes in the whuffos.

As for tunnels they make a heated air intake you can use in the newer tunnel designs. Its said to warm the air by 30 degrees so it takes the 10 degree fridgid air and warms it to not much warmer 40 degrees. (about normal freefall temp around here in the spring /fall) But at 40 on the ground... its a nice balmy 70 in the tunnel.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Skydivers don't support wind tunnels. Whuffo tourists paying $35 for a 2 minute ride do. It takes a tourism base to support a tunnel. I have a nice location picked out.....I just need the $500,000 or so to get the loan for the land and construction. [unsure]

Bill Kitchen was talking about a project in California at one time. I know that Perris is building a tunnel, but this was about a theme park type business. He was talking about indoor snow skiing like they have in Japan as well as a wind tunnel. He was trying to put together about $6M for that.
Wind tunnels have to run year-round. In Orlando, it sometimes runs continuously for days. The whuffos definitely contribute to the business.
I have purchased blocks of time with coaching. Learned huge amounts.

Yeah... with at 4000 rig, 1500 camera, 300 helmet, 200 altimeter, 300 audible, training at 1800, jumpsuit at 250, etc they are the poorest people around.... Skydivers just devote everything to jumping and not anything else...like homes, cars, things like that.

I did not mean that phrase to be derogatory. You made my point. They spend a ton of money to stay in the sport. How many skydivers have extra cash to spend in the wind tunnel? I know you cannot answer that question. My point is exactly what Clay said. I think it would need to be in an area frequented by tourists. I did tunnel training at Skyventure and the majority of ppl there were tourists. In fact I was the only aff student in my group.

How many skydivers have extra cash to spend in the wind tunnel?

Some skydivers spend a lot of money on training.

An Airspeed Tunnel Camp costs $1100. That's 60 minutes of coached tunnel time, plus some other stuff.

Sixty one-minute skydives at $18 each is $1080. Sixty coached skydives? I dunno. A LOT. And I couldn't do 60 coached skydives in 3 days.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I think she said she has about 5 hours so far this year.

And while I've never jumped with Stacy, I'd bet she's an absolutely incredible belly flyer.

It's all an investment. It just depends where you wanna put your money.
Skydiving is for cool people only

She was quite good...well except for that exit. She didn't know what to do leaving the plane while not holding onto anyone else....:D Silly belly flyers!!! B|

Silly freeflyers...an obvious opportunity to touch Stacy is overlooked.
It was so special that I haven't washed my left hand since. :D
Yeah, that lady can fly. B|

That's 60 minutes of coached tunnel time, plus some other stuff.

Wow, that is alot of tunnel time. I did 10 minutes and found it pretty tiring...not to mention that I was..umm...injured.:(

A.A.Tunnel camp is done 2 minutes at a time with a coach and is an incredible tool to learn how to truly fly your body. It costs about the same as 60 jumps w/o world class coaching
but the learning curve is more like 150 coached skydives! You just can't get the same knowledge outside the tunnel in as short a time because the walls don't lie! In the air you may think you are doing center turns but in the tunnel you know for sure and you can practice in a limited airspace that won't lie to you. It is a very humbling experience the first camp you go to. They basically teach you the correct way to fly. First step; forget what you were taught, the less you know, the less you have to forget!
As for the cold, it was 27 degrees in Orlando in January and it was cold as shit in there! I was in for 2 min. out for 6.
Coaches were in 2 min. out 2 min. They were all wrapped up just trying to stay warm! The good thing is that cold air is much denser so there was much more lift!