Pammi

With all the drink threads...

With all the talk about drinks and such, I thought I'd bring up what my 7 year-old son said a couple nights ago. He came to me with an empty beer bottle I hadn't thrown away yet and told me that I was to stop drinking beer. It was drugs, and I was drinking drugs. Said I needed to dump the rest of it out and throw it away.

It was kinda funny..I wanted to laugh. But at the same time, I don't know what to tell him! I didn't say much of anything because I'm not sure what TO say!

Damn the school and their red ribbon week!! :D

Pam

sounds like he needs an earlier bedtime and you should clean your beer bottles up before you go to bed... :S

ROFL! But I like to have a beer with dinner! And I wasn't in bed yet..just had left the room for a minute and hadn't chucked the bottle yet :S lol

Tell him while it is a "drug", it's a legal drug and the government has decided that it's ok to use in moderation. See what the little whipper-snapper has to say at that! :P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Beer is good for you! It's got brewer's yeast in it, which is a health food (well at least hombrew does). Its got B vitamins...And they're finding all these wonderful cancer-fighting agents in hops now.

its not a drug, its MEDICINE!!

bwahahaha!! I just remembered how my grandmother used to drink her Irish whiskey & say "its for my arthritis!"

well I come from an Irish family so everyone is used to alcohol...During family reunions my grandma would hand me a twenty & send me down to the liquor store for another case of beer.:)

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Tell him that it is true. That alchohol is a drug. It is the most abused and most damaging drug in the country.

However, he needs to understand what the difference is between drinking and problem-drinking. If you are messing up your life or the lives of others around you, then it is problem-drinking. If you are having a beer with dinner, you are just enjoying a beer.

If you do not make these types of distinctions, then kids start to think of everything in black/white narrow terms and if messes up their thinking on everything. They go into guilt override. Example:Wearing nice clothes becomes materialism.

They start to believe that if "everyone was like this" then the world would be perfect. That kind of responsibility is tough on a kid. They try to fix their friends/family/everyone.

Don't let well intentioned people f-up your kids.

I'd yank him out of the brainwashing warehouse and find a private school whose methods and morals were in accord with mine

I went to a private school for a year, damn, you talk about serious brain washing...I think there was a reason why I went to the principles office on average of 2-3 times a week, I just wouldn't give in to what they were trying to do. In the end I went back to public school and I came out ok, but then again, I would get into arguments with teachers in the public schools about stuff they were teaching too.

*shrug*
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

***"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine."
-- John Galt

Im reading this book right now. Its intresting to say the least.
adam

Hey... my family doctor told me that beer is GOOD for you! Published studies have shown that a beer a day is actually healthy, providing several health benefits (that escape me at the moment...[:/])

He ALSO told me that it's not as effective when I save them up all week, and drink them 6 at time! :$

My kids are older (12,15,17), so I've been thru what Pammi's going thru, trying to explain to them why it's OK for me to drink, as long as I do it responsibly... it's tough.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

With all the talk about drinks and such, I thought I'd bring up what my 7 year-old son said a couple nights ago. He came to me with an empty beer bottle I hadn't thrown away yet and told me that I was to stop drinking beer. It was drugs, and I was drinking drugs. Said I needed to dump the rest of it out and throw it away.

It was kinda funny..I wanted to laugh. But at the same time, I don't know what to tell him! I didn't say much of anything because I'm not sure what TO say!

Damn the school and their red ribbon week!! :D

Pam

tell him..." you think thats a drug. Look at this!" (as you pull out a fat sac of weed):P that'll shut him up abotu the drinking;)
My photos

My Videos

tell him..." you think thats a drug. Look at this!" (as you pull out a fat sac of weed):P that'll shut him up abotu the drinking;)

If you compare all the drunk driving deaths to the number of heroin OD deaths, you can understand why IV drug users think beer is giving other drugs a bad name. ;)

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine."
-- John Galt

John Galt fought back... but Atlas just Shrugged:P.

great quote, great book, great philosophy. For those that missed the pun, I'm talking of the novels of Ayn Rand. Well worth the intellectual challenge if you can stand not being able to finish a book in less than a month ... and enjoy digesting 40-80 pages each day.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I'd tell him, "Don't believe everything you hear in school."

Or better yet, I'd yank him out of the brainwashing warehouse and find a private school whose methods and morals were in accord with mine.

I'm in line with Narci.

My girls go to a private school to the tune of a luxury car payment every month so I don't have to listen to them parrot back NEA propoganda. Pammi, I'd ask your son where he heard that stuff and ask him why he believes it is true.

We have a rule in our house that Mom and Dad Know. My wife and I go over it in parent-teacher conference with my kids and their teacher, and in the presence of the teacher we all agree that Mom and Dad Know, even if the girls hear something different at school. The teachers (Wow, kidergarten and first grade so far....) have respect for it. The kids must obey their teacher at school, but Mom and Dad determine right and wrong.

I bet if you called the teacher and talked to him/her, they'd love to hear from you. Lots of parents aren't involved at all in what's going on at their kids schools and the teachers tend to look after the children of the involved parents.

"Yvette, Camille, beer is good for you. Especially Guiness-'A meal in a glass' ". "Now throw this empty one in the recycle bin, cause we care about the environment, and get me a full one from the fridge door, please":)

Overserious hat on here:
I'd probably ask him to share his work with me so I could look at what they're saying. My son turns 19 today -- we had some of these conversations.

Then go into stuff kind of like Deuce, only bringing in that many people take drugs for many reasons. Aspirin, pain meds, insulin, and lots of others. Some are so powerful that only doctors can let us have them, and others are ones that adults can decide about. Alcohol is in that second class.

As far as kids are concerned, tylenol is a drug, alcohol is a drug, cough syrup is a drug -- they can't take it without their parents' permission.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Good (and some funny!) points!! Thanks for the laugh and the ideas! :)

Lots of parents aren't involved at all in what's going on at their kids schools and the teachers tend to look after the children of the involved parents.

I agree. I think I'm already going to be the 'bitch mother' of the school since I have already talked to the teachers a couple of times just so I could understand things, and even the principal already this school year! I just like to know what's going on.

Tyler brought home this little booklet thing that showed on the first page a drawing of a bottle and a person's face with little 'x's for eyes like he was toasted.

I actually have explained to both of the kids how I do like beer, or another drink on occasion, but how I don't normally drink very much, and if I do, I don't drive. It's always been understood until red ribbon week! So I think I'll just have to press it home again..that it's not wrong, per se, just in moderation is better. (and keep the getting "unk-dra and going to the "rippers-ta" hush hush ;) )

Keep in mind that we live in a county where beer is hard to find and come by (but they *do* sell wine at the grocery store where they won't sell beer...explain that!)

Pam

North carolina and Tennessee are weird that way. I found that out when I went camping in the Smoky Mountains. It's difficult to find beer or wine. One county I was in had beer in the conveninece store, but not wine because, they said, "This county's dry!" WTF?
I don't know where it comes from, but I hear that certain types of Southern Baptists don't allow alcohol...hmmm, powerful argument for separation of church & state there.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------