fastmartin2002

winona ryder verdict

there supposed to be issuing the verdict in a few minutes. what do u think? will she be exonerated due to her high profile status? kind of reminds me of that o.j. dude!

She's a lot better-looking than OJ. She's such a cutie, how could anybody jail her? hehehe

BTW - Did you know that Timothy Leary was her godfather?
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

"The panel of six men and six women, which includes a movie studio boss and several others who work in the entertainment business, reached their verdict after five hours of deliberations on Tuesday.
(Reuters)

If that isn't "Benefit of Clergy", there's no such thing!;)

Seriously: Although I'm not on the jury, I think she's been railroaded by some zealous rent-a-cops, out to make a name for themselves by buring a celeb. At least, that's how her defense argued it.

Even if she did walk out with the goods, Saks should have had the good taste to simply send a bill to her agent, and probably would have if their rent-a-cops hadn't been so anxious to bag themselves a celeb (They had probably called the LAPD before the store management even knew what was going on. This effectively took it out of their hands!).

This spectacle can't do anything but hurt their reputation. They really handled this whole thing badly.

I would respectfully argue that it's not just a case of "different spanks for different ranks" (e.g., the law is for "little people" - it isn't that simple). Ryder's reputation has suffered, and so has Saks' (both needlessly, IMHO).

Bet those rent-a-cops won't eat lunch in that town again.

"Even if she did walk out with the goods..."

Uh...she did. That makes her a thief, right?
$6000 worth of stuff if I remember correctly.
The "gee, I forgot" excuse sounds a little lame.

"This spectacle can't do anything but hurt their reputation. "

Reputation? She's a thief. Apparently, a poor one.

"I would respectfully argue that it's not just a case of "different spanks for different ranks" (e.g., the law is for "little people" - it isn't that simple). "

Sure it is. It is very simple. If she stole your rig, you would be really unhappy, I'm betting.

"Bet those rent-a-cops won't eat lunch in that town again."

You are probably right. That is a drag. Me and the law enforcement community don't always sing off the same page, but I don't bitch when I get caught.

Actually, Saks' business has never been better. No publicity is bad pulicity, and all that. On a similar note, Winona's career seems to have gotten a shot in the arm. Her asking price has doubled. So everyone's a winner!

And Western civilization continues to decline...

Winona's career seems to have gotten a shot in the arm. Her asking price has doubled.

Where did you see that?

Perhaps it was a publicity ploy, with the Saks management in (unwitting) collusion? Stranger things have happened! We're talking Hollyweird, after all!

I still say she's a cutie. :ph34r:

I am very sorry, celebrity or not $6,000 worth of goods is a lot of money. She should be punished for theft. Do you realize how much money $6,000 is to a lot of people in this country. It is a large sum. Ms. Ryder is not a poor person. If I stole that much and get caught I would be heading for an institution. Sorry babe, you want to play, you got to pay. Same laws for everybody. By the way I shop at Saks and people who steal increase my prices - screw them!
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Sorry babe, you want to play, you got to pay. Same laws for everybody.

Do you have any idea, of all of the people arrested for shoplifting in Los Angeles in the last year how many are facing jailtime? Exactly one. If it were not for prosecutorial grandstanding, the punishment would have been community service and a fine. If you really want the same laws for everyone, then mean it.

Do you have any idea, of all of the people arrested for shoplifting in Los Angeles in the last year how many are facing jailtime? Exactly one.

That's a pretty broad statement. Can you support it with data?

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Sorry babe, you want to play, you got to pay. Same laws for everybody.

Do you have any idea, of all of the people arrested for shoplifting in Los Angeles in the last year how many are facing jailtime? Exactly one. If it were not for prosecutorial grandstanding, the punishment would have been community service and a fine. If you really want the same laws for everyone, then mean it.

Don't know her record, but hardly anyone ever goes to jail for a first time offense.

Most shoplifters in LA probably don't lift $6000 worth of stuff. There is a large difference between her grand theft charge and a candy bar and a coke. My car isn't worth $6000.

If someone steals a pack of cigs off the dash of your car, that is different than stealing your car. Most people wouldn't worry about the cigs.

Any media statistics about LA jail time for a first-time shop lifter is probably her attorney doing some spin doctoring. Compare apples to apples.

Did anyone ready to condemn her realize that Saks and other BevHills Blvd. stores regularly do business with celebs and VIPs and their standard operating procedure is the celebs pick out what they want and take it home and then they are billed. No check out, etc. They just watch what she walks out with and send a bill. They do it all the time. The guy who buster her was a new employee of the security company that watches the door. In fact, Saks wanted all charges dropped because they said she didn't do anything wrong but the prosecutors pressured the security company into keeping the charges alive.

Agreed completely, and as indyz said it is probably 6 months worth of someones minimum paycheck. There is a certain gravity to what she did.

I am not for unishing her cause she is a celebrity. I am for punishing her for the theft she commited. And if you want to play a celeb, then have the decency and try not to make a complete ass out of yourself
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275