jtval

stupid reason to be angry?

ok here it is...My day is been shitty so when I saw this I just kinda got PISSED!

I was driving to the guitar store to exchange the strings the idiot gave me(I'm the idiot for not looking before I left)
on the way I pass a CHEVRON (fuel station)station
I see they are flying an american flag; huge and filthy. its even torn and shredded; and not just like it happened today. so it kinda bugged me. I dont like chevron anyway b/c everytime I got there my car gets water in the tank.
so I was like well maybe I'll stop in on the way back and comment.(b/c I am having a bad day and I wanna yell at someone;):P)
so I decide to let it go and call instead(while I am STILL DRIVING) then I pass another CHEVRON....SAME FUKN THING! now I'm thinking "those assholes!"
but then I pass 3rd CHEVRON With THE SAME U.S.FLAG IN THE SAME CONDITION! WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?

Now My standard reponse would be, "relax; it's only a flag!"
but that flag is a SYMBOL. and they fly it as a SYMBOL!(its an advertising technique) and what they SYMBOLIZE is that they do not care about the PEOPLE who fought and DIED/are DYING for thier rights! It seems like a spit in the face of all of our Troops ;past,present,and future!

I encourage you to learn about the symbolism of the flag before you fly it! if you can not care for it DO NOT HANG IT. You'l only look like an fool to those of us who notice such things!

I will NEVER BUY FROM CHEVRON AGAIN. I hope someone else cares enough to follow this idea!
My photos

My Videos

felt the same way before to joe.......just chill and it'll all be okay...... what got me was when i was younge people would leve u.s. flags unlight outide overnight...well that just wasn't the right wat to display a flag so those flags had to be repaitriated.......

It's not a stupid reason to do something, but if you want to be angry there are plenty of other reasons...

Call them anyway. They might all be owned by the same lame-o franchisee. In which case he's an idiot. But you're right, it's better not to fly one than have it look like crap.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

repatriated!;) I dont think I could get those form the Chevron!

but these are FILTHY,TORN AND RIPPED. at least the young people did it out of ignorance. Its like these scumbags who work for CHEVRON are saying..,"ah, who cares out it up anyway!"
surely Chevron makes enough DOUGH to buy a new flag...OR STOP FLYING IT!

My photos

My Videos

I think the norwegian flag actually is protected by law. If you have a flag pole, you are required to put up a flag at national holliday. The flag must not hang out later than 9pm and a bunch of other rules.

Some people would object to such laws because of freedom of speech. I really don't care that much, but think it's nice to respect the flag. :)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I encourage you to learn about the symbolism of the flag before you fly it! if you can not care for it DO NOT HANG IT.

I agree with you JT. Some people don't seem to understand what the flag symbolizes. I've seen it all too often since I got out of the Army. If you ever talk to someone let them know that the local chapter of the VFW disposes of old flags properly (they hold a ceremony regularly). I had to take a few flags from my former employer (General Electric) to have them retired.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

surely Chevron makes enough DOUGH to buy a new flag

Depends. Are these "company operated" stations? Or are they owned/operated by a dealer? If they're dealer operated then Chevron as a company has nothing to do with it. If they're company operated then you have a point...

Either way, a quick note to Chevron customer service with a well worded complaint might do wonders.

haha
Bill, I remember that post. It kinda bugs me (especially since I am cranky right now!);)
people just dont give a shit...and I'm not just talking about a peice of fabric with some colors on it. I mean they REALLY DONT CARE!:S
I wish natural selection was still in effect:o;)

My photos

My Videos

I'm in the same boat with you man!

Even as a "kid" (read: 11yr old and up) I knew the flag code, how to properly display it, how to properly dispose of it, etc. I'm also one of the few people I know who can properly fold the flag.

People having flag t-shirts and all that stuff pisses me off too, the code talks about that, says you shouldn't do it. It goes to the point that I get upset when I see it flown/displayed improperly, even if it is just facing the wrong way, that upsets me too.

You say its your freedom of speech to do anything you want to my beloved flag, fine, the Supreme Court backs you up, but when you do those things, think about the men and women who have given their lives to protect your right to do that. If you actually give that half a thought, I bet you wouldn't do those things to the flag. Infact, if you might even look at the flag code to learn how to properly treat the flag.

(VFW: Veterns of Foriegn Wars, its a veterns group in the US).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Pardon the Ignorant Canadian here but VFW?

thanks,

It stands for Vetrans of Foreign Wars. It is an organazation of retired armed forces that regularly meet for shindigs and such. They are kinda like a bar, but a private bar of some sort. You can go into any one of them and have a drink, maybe get some cool war stories from the locals.

As far as morons not showing respect to the flag, yeah its annoying. If you cant get them to change it, go take it yourself in the middle of the night. If you get caught, mot much is likely to happen to you for the cause. But do it at your own risk.;)

My favorite is the fucking idiot that hangs one in his front window of his house BACKWARDS and then leaves it there so long that the sun fades it so bad that you cant tell what color is what.

I like to call these people that have put up the flag post 9/11 and not shown proper respect to it as
OPPORTUNISTIC PATRIOTICNESS and should have not put anything up in the first place.

Fucking sheep.

Kind of related...
If you want to protest Chevron, I think you have an even better reason to do it than the flag issue (which bugs me too, all the time) let me know if I'm going overboard here...

in an email I received some time ago:
...Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling
that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

Major companies that import Middle Eastern oil (from 9/1/00 - 8/31/01).

Shell....................205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco....144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil.........130,082,000 barrels
Marathon..............117,740,000 barrels
Amoco..................62,231,000 barrels

If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!

Some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Citgo 0 barrels
Sunoco 0 barrels
Conoco 0 barrels
Sinclair 0 barrels
BP/Phillips 0 barrels
Hess 0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy. Refineries located in the U.S. are required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

[stepping off soapbox]
CC

It stands for Vetrans of Foreign Wars. It is an organazation of retired armed forces that regularly meet for shindigs and such. They are kinda like a bar, but a private bar of some sort. You can go into any one of them and have a drink, maybe get some cool war stories from the locals.

Got you like our Royal Canadian Legion, thank you for explaining..

Adrian
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Okay, I have not posted before but thought I'd put in my $0.02 I work on U.S. ships and have been hoisting the flag for over 24 years. Every day. And, like you, it pisses me off to no end when I see the blatant disrespect these morons have for those who built and maintain the basic freedom that they so freely enjoy without so much as a clue in there soft little heads as to what it cost to have it. I've seen "the rocket's red glare and the bombs bursting in air", up close. And I've also seen the guy who never went to war, but every day fights to make his neighborhood a safer place. Bottom line, when I see shit like that, I go in and remind them what's up. They obviously forgot. I mean, nobody could be that ungrateful, or stupid. Right?
Stupid SHOULD hurt.
Mikey

I think a letter to Chevron's PR department is in order. I would hope corporate management would not take kindly to their franchise owners showing such direspect for the flag. Being a for-profit entity, they would be even more upset to learn the practice is compelling customers to go elsewhere.

I live in the Washington DC area. I never get tired of going to the museum of American History and seeing the Star Spangled Banner hanging there, the very one that inspired Francis Scott Key in 1812 to write what became our anthem. If you're ever in town, don't miss the chance to see it, it's an inspiring sight.
You can actually watch it's restoration in progres right now.