Casch

Are you afraid of heights?

I get nervous on a ladder, but not in a plane. Those heights don't really seem "real". Ladders are. I especially hate when you get high enough so that the thing that is holding you up looks too small to support you. Like being at the end of a 75' arial ladder (fire truck), looking down it seems like someone replaced that really big truck with a Tonka toy. Brrrrr...

I'm not really afraid of heights, just respectful of the dangers involved in, say, climbing up on my roof. I know that if I fall off my roof, I will get hurt. I don't get that feeling skydiving, EVER!

Many many people that I invite to come make a tandem jump tell me they couldn't because they're afraid of heights. I truly believe it's a result of them allowing the world to influence their belief in themselves. This May, my sister made a tandem with me, deciding to confront her fear of heights and just trust me. She closed here eyes a couple of times in drogue fall, but she did wonderfully and had an incredible experience. Sooooo many people are missing out because they are selling out on themselves![:/]

Arrive Safely

John

I get nervous on a ladder, but not in a plane. Those heights don't really seem "real". Ladders are. I especially hate when you get high enough so that the thing that is holding you up looks too small to support you. Like being at the end of a 75' arial ladder (fire truck), looking down it seems like someone replaced that really big truck with a Tonka toy. Brrrrr...

aha, i'm with you man

sometimes i help my father who is an electrician, and everytime i stand on a 2m ladder, my legs shake like pudding :S

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

I am not nervous in a plane, although I have never come down in one...I was not nervous in freefall or under canopy, but if I go hiking I cannot look up, I will get dizzy and feel like I am falling over. I like being in tall buildings, but it is a bit intimidating...

I know that if I fall off my roof, I will get hurt. I don't get that feeling skydiving, EVER!

Many many people that I invite to come make a tandem jump tell me they couldn't because they're afraid of heights. I truly believe it's a result of them allowing the world to influence their belief in themselves.

I am afraid of heights, but not when skydiving. Here is what I've come up with. What you said above is right on the mark. Fear of heights basically comes down to a fear that you are going to fall and get hurt. At 14,000 feet in the air, there is no immediate feeling that you are going to fall and get hurt. In fact, the whole object is to fall and NOT get hurt. So, that kind of defeats the reasoning behind the fear.

I talk to people all the time who say the same thing, that they could never skydive because they are afraid of heights. But really, I did the skydiving thing knowing I was afraid of heights, and while I have no problem with jumping out of a plane, I still am not over my fear of heights. I try to explain to them that it really has nothing to do with fear of heights, but it doesn't work. I think the truth is that is just an excuse. It is funny, though, how quick people are to hang on to society's accepted beliefs than to listen to someone who has actually done it, with a fear of heights even. People are just brainwashed. ;)

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

I agree. I have heard the same thing--"I could not skydive because I am afraid of heights"...but I have never felt a correlation. I always thought that once under the canopy I would feel nervous, but I wasn't. Then I thought once I get within 100 ft I would be nervous, but by that point I was just too focused on landing for it to register.

I'm afraid of heights. I won't go on a ladder, look out the window while in a tall building, and I hate walking over bridges. I do love carnival rides that flip you around and twist and turn, but I won't go ona super tall ferris wheel. But, I never thought about how high I was when I jumped. I was so scared the first time not because of the height, but because it was an unknown to me.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

I agree. I have heard the same thing--"I could not skydive because I am afraid of heights"...but I have never felt a correlation. I always thought that once under the canopy I would feel nervous, but I wasn't. Then I thought once I get within 100 ft I would be nervous, but by that point I was just too focused on landing for it to register.

I am definetly still afraid of heights! Over 1100 jumps and still afraid! It's funny, because if I'm over the DZ it's much more comforting being open high but I'm usually not open above 2 grand so there's not a lot of time for anything else but set up to hook and land. Cross-country jumps are another thing, WAY too much time in the saddle! Over clouds and through the cloud turbulance, up drafts and the like kind of wierd me out. To much time to think of all the what ifs. I already know how I react to a mal on opening (1 c/a) but I find myself not trusting my harness when I'm in the saddle for a long time. Building heights dont bother me as long as I can hold onto something fixxed, but to walk up to an edge with no railing makes me light headed. I think it's that impending injury thing, a gust of wind catches me and I not wearing a parachute! my .02.
Conway 1105B|

i respect heights

try rock climbing a 5.10 a or b top rope, then have your buddy tell yo to clean the anchors once you "summit" and then climb down the backside at 5.9 a/b w/ loose dirt in every toe hold on the way down, and you're feeling for them, because if you look you're balance is fucked and you drop 50 meters to the deck... had 3 anxiety attacks, before i started brathing right.... climbed back up, flipped out "repeat 3 times" then just sucked it up and did it.. talk about hyper focus. felt really accomplished.... now my only problem is not jumping off anything high w/o gear.. 0 base to date, but once i'm back in shape and comfy skydining ,, watch the fuk out basic research here i come

GerominoooOOOo

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

I find myself not trusting my harness when I'm in the saddle for a long time

Funny you say that. I've had the exact same vibe when doing a cross-country. Sort of that "What if my harness comes loose?" Feeling.

I said Yes and No.

Getting out of a plane doesn't bother me anymore. But crawling out over a railing at 800' with a wadded up PC in your hand and the wind at your back still scares the crap out of me... let alone summoning up the courage to actually jump.

Maybe that's why I like it so much. :S

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Not 'afraid' of heights -- even ladder heights. Worked as a network installer for a while, occasionally had to climb ladders 2 or 3 stories high to run Cat5 through external conduit. I actually enjoyed doing that, got something of a rush from looking down.

Didn't take too kindly to the climbing down part, though. Gimme a parachute any day.
--
Skydive -- testing gravity, one jump at a time.

I would not say that I am afraid of heights -- I spent several hours a day for most of a week climbing around on top of my roof (2 story house) at the end of this summer, removing moss from the cedar shakes -- but sometimes I get a bit nervous close to the edge of something up much higher -- like the time we were at this mountain with a view point right at the edge ... freaky!