freebird

Student training

PISA SkyMaster 290 then PD 210, then PD 190
Northern Light Infinity
Spring loaded PC, then non-collapsible throw out.

Then Silhouette 190, then 170
Velocity Infinity
Collapsible throw-out

Edited to add progression gear
My other ride is the relative wind.

Started on a Briefcase container with a 26' Lopo round reserve and a 290 sq. ft. Skymaster main. P/C was springloaded with a hip mounted ripcord.

About halfway through my student progression, the DZ bought new gear. So from about jump 15 onward (static line progression), I had a Wings container with an unknown size Tempo reserve, 290 or 230 sq. ft. Skymaster depending on the rig. P/C was springloaded with a BOC ripcord.

I think your first solo after 3 tandems was under either a Sabre 190 at .63:1 or a Sabre 170 at .71:1. Probably the 170, because I don't think you would have fit into anything larger. Javelin with a BOC, 2 handle system, Kill Line PC and Slider.

You were a fun student :)

Oh ya, my first jump was on a Manta 288, with a round reserve, spring loaded (non kill line) PC, packed into a dual hawk student rig. Finished my student training on a similar container with a Raider 220 main.

Hook

My DZ had about 30 canopies to choose from as far as rental, but on AFF, we all started on PD 290s - non-collapsable pilot chute, non-collapsable slider. The containers varied, but they were all old. If a person was smaller, they might get a smaller main. Now that I'm an experienced jumper, I feel like that old student gear was damn dangerous! Old, outdated, lots of jumps, poor-fitting, etc. However, all student rigs had Cypres (if this is not already a requirement, it probably should be).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Well yes after that first day when you had to actually pick me up in the harness to see if I could reach my toggles, I got real serious;)
I remember that day. We wre on the plane with Degullo( spell check?) I went to the door and asked which way and boom!!

A leap into a place I would have to go to forever from there on. That day changed my life in a instant. Changed me for the better:)

all student rigs had Cypres (if this is not already a requirement, it probably should be).

In the US, anybody who is considered a student must have an AAD, among other things.

When I started jumping (only a year and a half ago), I had an Adventrue Loft Brief Case rig. Old, dirty, probably thousands of jumps, all velcro, all the time. Sentinel AAD, you had to wind it up to calibrate it. It wasn't dangerous, but it was old and uncomfortable, and a ride on a round reserve wouldn't have been fund.

AFF training started in a Navigator 260 with a collapsible pilot chute, in a Javelin adjustable harness with BOC. Just went down to a Sabre2 230, everything else the same.

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

What type of gear did you learn on what type of piolt chute? collapseible or non collapseible?

Spring loaded
-------------------------
What type of canopy?

Raven IV then RavenIII
--------------------------------

What type of training? Tandem? static line??

AFF
-------------------------------
Whay type of container?
Telesis

---------------------------------
Transitioned to throwout on jump 11 using a talon container and a falcon 215 Main. ....it was all down hill after that. :P

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

> What type of gear
> What type of training?

I used military surplus gear.

I did 3 static lines and then went on to freefall.

Jack Pryor, the guy who put me out, put some
people out directly on freefall. Others he took
up higher and went out harness to harness
(holding on to their harness).

I must have looked like a flakey college kid to him
because he made me do 3 static lines before he let
me go free.

My first jump cost $2 (1962).

That included the rig, some training and the ride up.

We went up to 2,500 ft over a farmer's field in a little
Piper Cub with Jack in the front and me in the back.

He told me to climb out and go, so I did.

Life has not been the same since.

Skr

container: surplus extended
main: 28' lopo (blue and yellow) 7TU
pilot chute: spring-loaded
reserve: 24' flat circular

Obviously this was static line. There were cones on the rig, and a static line ring to make sure they didn't bend and lead to a student in tow. Tying the static line to the cones with 5-cord was an improvement in safety probably, but a whole lot harder to close.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

:-)

C9 and T-10 Round Military surplus gear with B4 harness and front mount reserve.

SL progression.

Now an AFF Instructor.
All AFF in SA is still done with Spring loaded pilot chutes... but that should change at some DZ's this year.

t
It's the year of the Pig.