ernokaikkonen

Discussion on offensive jokes

People's reactions to certain jokes that were posted here got me thinking. What do you people consider offensive? Since there is no objective scale of offensiviness, how do you decide if a certain joke is unappropriate, other than by gut feeling?

Do you feel it's ok to tell jokes about one minority but not another? Or do you think that no such jokes should be told at all? The way I see it, if you tell a joke, someone will almost always be offended.

Why did this joke cause such a strong reaction, whereas this one caused none?

Personally I don't find humour of any sort offensive.
I do however realise that there are some who do and take that into account.
I am certainly not PC and do not understand the concept but I do realise that if I as a white South African started posting racist jokes for example I would catch a heap of flak. [shrug]

I think it could have something to do with who knows who. I think that if people know the person well enough, they will treat it like a joke, and only a joke, whereas, if they were not to know a person, they may feel more inclined to express the fact that they do not in reality condone that kind of thinking.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

1. Race.

Hey bignose ;), add this to your steenkin' list..

2. Religion. people get kinda upset about that too where I come from.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

if people know the person well enough, they will treat it like a joke, and only a joke, whereas, if they were not to know a person, they may feel more inclined to express the fact that they do not in reality condone that kind of thinking.

Good point. Although that's a rather silly attitude to have on an Internet-forum with thousands of users of which you personally know just a small fraction.

The point is valid though, and related to another one: Take the jew/oven joke for example. Now, assume that joke is told by

-a jewish person
-a non-jewish friend of yours
-an KKK member.

Each case has quite a different ring to it, don't you think?

In general, it seems like just about everything that we laugh about revolves around "pain" suffered at some entity's expense - that entity could be you, me, a school, a group with different skin pigmentation, a group with a different type of holyman or wisdom bringer than you grew up with - and unless you want to limit the jokes told in this forum to puns (which I usually find offensively not funny) then you just have to learn to screen out the ones that aren't funny to you.

CZ

Good question Erno. Everything is offensive to someone. The trick is not offending the people (greenies) who control what can and cannot be said. But, if you were to be at "my house", you could tell whatever jokes you wanted.
Since this is not "my house", nor is this a democracy, I am not sure which jokes will get locks and which ones won't.
We could do an experiment and find out though...if you were so inclined.
I'd start my list like this.
1 Race jokes
2 Sexuality jokes
3 Death jokes
4 Gender jokes
Any other offensive categories I am missing out?
I'll wander over to the BAD joke thread and give a few a whirl.
Peace,
Thomas

"Any other offensive categories I am missing out? "

People with disabilities, like pthalidomide (sp?)etc, generally deemed to be in bad taste....
And if you tell protestant / catholic jokes in the wrong part of Belfast or Glasgow, you may never have the chance to realise your mistake....I'm not kidding!
So I guess sectarian jokes may be off the menu here as well, given the sensitive Islam thing....
I wouldn't encourage jokes about 9/11 right now either....

But hey, you can always try out your humour, give it a couple of hours, then exercise your right to delete, edit, or even stand up and apologise!
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Hmmm...good topic!
Personally I think a joke is a joke. But then again, it depends on who is saying it. It really comes down to the individual, I guess.
Now I am thinking about the jokes I posted in that thread...I hope nobody got offended! SORRY if I did! I maybe I should erase them?[:/]

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

Now I am thinking about the jokes I posted in that thread...I hope nobody got offended! SORRY if I did!

I personally think that if someone is offended by a joke, that someone should grow a thicker skin.

I maybe I should erase them?

Nahh, you've said it, now face the consequences, if there are any. If someone is offended, apologise, if that seems appropriate to you.

Nahh, you've said it, now face the consequences, if there are any. If someone is offended, apologise, if that seems appropriate to you.

**Suz gears up in her armour, ready for action**

Bring it on!;):D:D

I wouldn't encourage jokes about 9/11 right now either....

What? why not? we already have people capitalizing on the fear aspect of it. Seriously...selling parachutes for people to jump from buildings with. As if a parachute will withstand the FLAMES present, go ahead and try. That way, when people do this, and fail, the families will have some legal kickbacks. Sue the company. That is why daddy died. Not because he fell 80 stories, but because the parachute burned. If only they would have made flame retardant parachutes that operate in those conditions....where's my money?
What better marketing tactic then fear?
If you don't want to die early, BUY my product.

damn, I should have gone for a marketing degree instead.

Disabilities? Thanks, I'll try that next.

Thomas

Ok...so we all gotta walk around with rigs on, gas masks attached,personal alarms, pepper spray, breathe out when we open mail....um...surely there's got to be something else I forgot...
I have a bad sense of humour.

"Ok...so we all gotta walk around with rigs on, gas masks attached,personal alarms, pepper spray, breathe out when we open mail....um...surely there's got to be something else I forgot...
I have a bad sense of humour. "

Och that only applies if you are a dizzy Australian blonde...;)B|:P

--------------------

Hehe, but with alzheimers sufferers, you can tell them the same joke every day, and they will still laugh!;)

There ya go, a bad taste joke that you can get away with here....I hope.:)

--------------------

**suz tries to muffle her laugh**

See, didn't you once work at an old folks home....Shame on you.:$:P;)

--------------------