ernokaikkonen

Discussion on offensive jokes

Erno? I cant tell if your serious or not?? I am a bit offended by that. For all I know you could walk around constantly with your tounge hanging out like that!:)
Sorry....I'll go take it to the bad jokes thread.
**Suz walks away with her blonde- fair- dinkum-aussie tail between her legs**

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

Some times people say mean, nasty, hurtful things and don't even know it and sometimes need to be told about it. I'll tell a true story to help my point.

About 15 years ago a great friend and I went on vacation to Wild Wood New Jersey. We both like going to nice places for dinner so we go to "Zabars" (Spelling?) and it is a kinda ritzy place. (There was pics of famous people/prez's eating on the walls) Well anyway, we are seated and about a 25 y/o kinda hot waitress comes to take our order, she says the usual "Can I help you?". My buddy says "Yes I would like the Sur sur sur SURF -n-Turf" and she replies "Easy for you to say" and my buddy calmly scans the area for kids and in the same tone and volume says "I have a spe spe spe speech impediment and it IS hard for me but I can pronounce Fuck you really well"..Well I was looking right at her because I knew something like that was coming and she just frowned, turned and walked to the kitchen. I looked at my buddy lol and said "Bet she won't tease a retard anymore"..and lol ..He gave me a muffled "yeah and fuck you to" and lol then asked "Now what are we going to do" I reply "Guess leave before we are kicked outta here" and then right as I said that a ritzy lady around 60 y/o at the table beside us who I thought was going to complain did, But NOT the way I thought. She spoke right up and said "If you two are asked to leave I will walk out with you, she was wrong and I never saw someone learn it faster" and lol.. Well just a few seconds later a waiter comes up to our table and says "I don't know what your waitress said but she asked me to tell you she is sorry and I will take your order. My buddy told him to tell her that her apology was accepted and she was forgiven. We eat lobster and steak and found out later that she paid for his whole meal, drinks and all.

Well, my buddy is not a retard but he does stutter/slur. One of the reasons we became so close was because I also have had some speech skill problems. I was in and out of special speech classes most my childhood. These days you would never know it unless I get really really nervous or mad and the older I get the less that happens.

My point is (Yeah I know about time).. A joke is a joke but watch how it's told and who it's told to because they can cut deep feelings and cause much hurt. Don't listen so much as how the words are pronounced but what is being said and the intentions/feelings behind the words.

I often hear people insult and tease and JOKE about how people pronounce words in their speeches. I think these people need to show a little more compassion. People all over the world speak differently than you. Listen to what is being said and not how the words sound. If you don't, is that not being Shallow?

------Have a good one!--------

That is one truly, beautiful story. My father stutters quite a bit. I dont notice it because I constantly see him, but when I bring mates over for the first time, they always seem to mention his stutter.
Myself? I actually tend to get the shakes really badly if I am nervous or mad or anxious. I get so embarrassed by it. Because I think people are thinking that I am some addict. I wish I had the guts to say something like that to people.

Ahh, no worries, half the time I'm not so sure about it myself...

I cant seem to think of anything to say that nobody will find offensive...so I am going to just smile and nod!:)

A joke is a joke but watch how it's told and who it's told to because they can cut deep feelings and cause much hurt. Don't listen so much as how the words are pronounced but what is being said and the intentions/feelings behind the words.

I agree. But how do you apply that at an Internet-forum?

Not that anyone thinks things through this much either when telling a joke or when posting on dz.com, but if you have to gauge the audience's reaction, you probably shouldn't post the joke, because you can't gauge the audience's reaction on the internet.

An online acquaintance used to post sdnwoti at the bottom of his posts -- sarcasm does not work on the internet.

And what's unsayable will change from place to place; I can tell a joke about catholics and protestants safely in Texas.

Of course, Aggies are always fodder;) -- hear that Dave?

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I agree. But how do you apply that at an Internet-forum?

Same way you do in real life, Just give what you say/type a little thought before spurting it out and watch where you say what, In the "Bad Joke" thread hey anything goes, But when your having a serious conversation and some one types something like "Did you hear the Prez slur that word, He's an Idiot" ..This is not a joke, It's an insult to alot of people, People that have feelings about things they can't help at all. But I'll be the first to post a "Bob" joke in the bad joke forum. Or tell a stuttering joke. Just think a little about the joke before hand.

------Have a good one!--------

I would guess a spellchecker. After all, it seems to really piss people off when someone spells a word wrong.

Hey! would that be piss people off, or offend? How many words do I spell wrong on average? Honestly....come on now, throw me a friggin bone here!
I can think of a few other people here that could use your advice better then I can....

Hey....did I just get offended by that....Why...yes I did!!! oh look at that!

Hey....did I just get offended by that....Why...yes I did!!! oh look at that!

Wow! you offended yourself? Last time I did that, I was looking in a mirror.
But really, I think Erno has a good discussion here. When is a joke over the line, and why?
Just because it is bad taste, or just because it is personal to someone? or still too fresh too joke about?
Like the 3 year rule. after 3 years, it becomes OK to laugh at it.
Thomas

Merriam Webster's definition of a joke:

1 a : something said or done to provoke laughter; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1) : the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2) : an instance of jesting : KIDDING c : PRACTICAL JOKE d : LAUGHINGSTOCK
2 : something not to be taken seriously : a trifling matter -- often used in negative construction

The reality is that no matter what you can not please everyone all the time. There will be jokes that are posted that will offend some and not others. It is hard to gauge if someone will get offended and who that would be. How a person reacts to a joke is their choice. And, knowing that it's a joke should help them decide how to react to it (see above definition of joke).
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

If you wouldn't want to tell your grandma the joke, it is probably offensive. That is pretty much how I gage it.

:)

Doesn't wrk that way here. Some of the raunchiest, nastiest, most tasteless jokes I have ever heard, I heard from dear old Grandma, and she's 83!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Aggies are always fodder -- hear that Dave?

I love Aggie jokes, the only Aggie jokes that I take serious offense to involve Bonfire, but then I have very VERY personal reasons why.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I don't think you understand, not any fire, not any bonfire, I'm talking about Aggie Bonfire. The 90 year old tradition that ended in tragedy 3 years ago, killing 12, injurying many more and for all practical purposes, damn near tore the Aggie family down.

the only Aggie jokes that I take serious offense to involve Bonfire, but then I have very VERY personal reasons why.

This helps me to explain why I was offended by the jewish joke in the other thread. I am not a sensitive person and think that I can take jokes pretty well. However, my grandfather's entire family was killed during the Holocaust - somehow my grandfather survived. I'm not Jewish - was actually raised in a Catholic home- and I find those types of jokes to be extremely offensive. I don't think that anything of so horrible as the Holocaust can be turned into any kind of joke. I have talked extensively to my grandfather about his experiences in the concentration camps and it chills me to think that someone could take that kind of horror and joke about it. Nothing against Nubain1 for posting the joke or anything - I was just stating my opinion about the joke.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

Aggie Bonfire started off in the early 1900s as a huge trash heap being burned. By 1940, it had become a 6 tiered "wedding cake" design, with a center pole for support, reaching 107ft at its tallest in 1967. The 2 bonfires that I built were at about 65ft.

The first pic (guard) is a group Corps of Cadets buddies and myself our freshman year, at the base of Bonfire the night it burned. We're about 200 ft or so away from the base. The second pic (bonfire) is another one like the first, but farther away, like a couple hundred yards or so. The third (bonfire!) is a pic from Bonfire going up in flames (whoop!)

(edit: damn pics...)

guard.jpg

bonfire.jpg

bonfire!.jpg

Woah. I can seem to understand where you are coming from. I agree with you about that. I dont think people should be joking about 911 either, no matter how long it's been since the devastating day.

But when you cant say a simple dirty joke...( boy fell in the mud)
You really need to question the person who got offended, you know?

I take offense to very few jokes too. Anyway - I'm not going to get all sensitive now. I just felt the need to state my opinion on the joke and that was all.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."