nathaniel

transportation / motorcycles

Do you ride your motorcycle to the DZ? How do you carry your rig? What kind of bike? How far is it to the DZ?

Never rode a motorcycle myself...but curious.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I used to live about an hour ride from the DZ. Used a large gear bag with shoulder straps and wore it. Did some touring riding last summer and strapped it to the back of the bike for the couple hour ride. Looked a bit like a gypsy wagon, but it worked.
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

I used to regularly ride my bike to the DZ, now I live here and I park my bike in the main hangar (right next to six others). Anyway, I never rode to the DZ with my bare rig on, but I know plenty who do or have done so in the past. None were ever extracted off the back of their skoots like you might see on Real TV. Generally, keeping your rig in a gear bag along with all your other accessories is smart.

Chuck

I have a Harley I ride to the DZ sometimes. My gear fits into a T-bag made for the bike which fits over the sissy bar (an advantage totthe cruiser :)
It's 45 or 70 miles, depending on the DZ.

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think I'd be looking at a Honda 250 or something simple like that.

Up here in Chicago there's a bit of a chill in the winter, and in the spring and fall too :|...how much stuff do you have to put on to ride in 40-50 F mornings? It's ~ 60 mi to the nearest DZ from me.

Nathaniel

My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

They make motorcycle suits (basically the same as snowmobile suits but a little lighter weight) for that kind of riding. Riding something you don't have the advantage of activity to keep you warm the way you do skiing or something else active.

Gloves are my biggest problem at colder temperatures. If you get hand protectors that'll help. Also a full-face helmet.

I live in Houston, so we don't have many jumpable days at that temperature. To me, it's an indication that it's a car day normally. Riding is supposed to be fun, after all.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yup ! ... Down-side is I can only take one rig at a time. But I have done so several times. I pull my leg straps up and put my arms through them then fasten my chest strap. Stuff my hackey inside my boc.

I stow my helmet, pants, camera, whatever in the smallest bag I can and use a web bungee to keep it tight on the back seat of my 900RR.

I'm exactly 55.6 miles from the farthest dz I jump locally. It takes me roughly 1/2 the time by bike than by car... gas is cheaper for the 900 too.

-- but after a long day, the return ride sucks! I have had occasion to leave the rig at the dz. I hate doing that cause I miss it too much!

Are you saying you never brought your rig on your bike? -or- that, you, "never rode a motorcycle?"

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

Do you ride your motorcycle to the DZ? How do you carry your rig? What kind of bike? How far is it to the DZ?

Never rode a motorcycle myself...but curious.

nathaniel

Yep! I put my rig on as if I were going to jump, stuff the hackey into the BOC put a jacket (made by pisa non theless it says "HORNET" on the back of it.. hehe) over my rig put the alitimiter on my wrist
helmet on my head (motorcycle) spyder strap the skydiving helmet down with the logbook inside and away I go.. mine is an hour and a half drive.

Got some strange looks at the gas station .. ehehe someone actually knew what was on my back made a comment like "i hope you don't need that to stop" or something

ROTFLMAO!!!! ;););) cool!

Do you even have your own kit???

btw. I ride in non-helmet states, I can't bear the neck strain of the helmet, especially with that crap on my back.

--

I used to ride my ex's enduro (dual sport) out to the dz. Was only about a 10 minute ride. Carried my rig by itself on my back a few times; never a problem. Just to be "safe" I didn't put on the legstraps or chest strap, tucked the p/c handle into the pouch and tied a pull up cord through the main closing loop for a quick visual reminder that the p/c was tucked away.

But inside a gear bag with your other stuff is the best way to transport a rig on a bike.

Nathaniel

kit? like you have to put together yourself?

No, sorry, I meant rig.

Hey, atleast you won't have to worry about neck strain ever again when you suffer fatally to head injuries from an accident that anyone one else would have been able to walk away from.

Yup! but at 175+ I think the chance that I would suffer much is remote... UGH! but nobody is going to "walk away" from a situation like that anyway; helmet or not! B|

--

oh...I'm in the final stages of making a purchase...ie, no. I'm this --> <-- close to ordering a rig but I'm waffling on what main to put in it. I'm between hornet (new), safire-2 (new, but getting less likely) and sabre (used) all in the 150 ft variety. I'm settled on a new container due to my shape (tall and thin). I plan on getting my act together by the end of the month.

nathaniel

Kawasaki Ninja ZX 1100. Boc. 70 miles. Wore it, but not legstraps. Bungied Legstraps. Stuffed hacky inside pouch. Removed hacky prior to unbungying legstraps. 3 years. Average travelling time about 40 min. No shit. Before that was a 900 Ninja, Yamaha XZ 550, RZ 350. About 15 years total.

In a car now.. too much gear doing Tandem, AFF etc.
It's the year of the Pig.

BMW K1200RS, hard BMW side bags and GIVI tailbag. Put the rig and all my camera gear in my gear bag (Sunshine Factory, medium holds two rigs and suits). Rode from San Francisco to Perris, jumped the weekend, rode to San Diego for a conference and jumped evenings at Otay. Shipped the skydiving gear home UPS, the Mrs. flew in to San Diego and we rode home on Highway one.

My rig fits in the tailbag for trips to the local DZ.

GIVI makes great stuff. Everybody dogs motorcycle luggage until they do a week on a bike. Being able to have lunch with you stuff locked and secure is worth the razzing.

http://www.givi.it/home/frame.asp