ladyskydiver

Packing - Do you pack or pay?

ZeroG and I were having a discussion the other day. I've searched DZ.com and didn't find a poll that had been done so I thought I'd ask.

I'm not looking to get into a debate for those that choose the "don't know how to" option. Just curious to see what the majority does.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I packed my own canopies for all my student jumps after Level II.

Once I got comfortable I could do it well, I decided that it hurt my old knees and back enough that it is worth paying a younger person who needs the money anyhow.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

well i will say i like the people who don't like to pack their own, that means i'll make more money:)
i pack my own rig, because i am too pore to pay.

and when my mom decided to pay for my pack jobs at quincy one year, that felt really werid. being a packer, and paying another. it just didn't feel right.:S

later

I mostly pack my own, but there are times when I pay. I usually pay when I want to get on some loads real fast (It still takes me around 15 minutes to pack). I CAN pack faster, but I choose not to. I figure the packers could use the money anyways, so I can be lazy. When the packers are real busy, I pack for myeslf. Also when I'm in no hurry and am having a real relaxed day of jumping. Sometimes I just don't have the money, and sometimes I'm just too lazy. I dunno, there is no science to when I do either way, so I'll just vote for the BOTH and stop rambling:S

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

I pack my own- for two reaasons - One, I canonly blame myself for a mal due to poor packing, and Two - I would rather spend the five bucks on beer or more jumps.
Plus if I pack my own I can usually make every other load. (but it sure doesn't leave much tiime for dirt diving!)

Easy Does It

When I was stationed in Louisiana a few of us that jumped in Beaumont worked on the psycho pack. We got it to open consistently.

For this reason I always pack myself. It is getting to be a problem though while jumping on big ways. The turn around is fast. At present I am making it but if I do more stuff like that I might have to have it packed. I would hate to do that though.

It is nice to know how it is going to come off your back every time. When others pack it might be different every time. I also now have artificial parts and have to be careful.

I do know that there are many people out there that do not know how to pack though. It should be taught and remembered.

Long winded. What can I say. Take care All.
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Always pack for myself, well sometimes Derek packs for me, I call that fringe benifits rather than paying a packer. :P

I trash pack so it only take about 5-6 min for me to get packed up, so time isn't an issue. I started out packing for myself cause I was broke, now even though I have the money it just doesn't feel right haveing someone else do it for me. Also, I like being able to catching things like k-line shrinkage, lower steering lines showing wear, just little thing before they become big.

Fly it like you stole it!

I don't mind packing, although it would be a TON easier if i had something smaller than a 210! Nonetheless, i do like packing my own. I've had 0 malfunctions and less than a dozen line twists in almost 600 jumps.

I DO like hiring a packer though, sometimes...I usually have the whacky Austrailian Crazy Jon pack for me after the last load of each day at couch freaks. I'm just too anxious to start the partying! B|:S

b

Since I jump a well loved Sabre, I tend to pack for myself.

Both my cutaways were on mains packed by someone else.

That being said, I do sometimes ask Nate to pack for me. I get consistently good openings from him. Sometimes I just don't feel like packing again, ya know?

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

I have a new Sabre2 which takes me about 45 minutes to get in the bag because it's so slick. So I've been paying till it gets a bit more broken in.

My experience not packing my own has been mixed. I got really slammed once, and another pretty hard opening as well. This has been on only 10 pack jobs.

Patrick
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342