Deuce

Because using a gun is just too easy.

-Kensington is a very upscale suburb just north of Berkeley.

Kensington Boy shot in chest with nail ...

Kensington

Boy shot in chest with nail cartridge

Police say a 12-year-old boy went to the hospital Thursday following an accident with a metal pipe and a cartridge for a nail gun.

The victim and a friend, both students at Golden Gate Apple School on Colusa Avenue, were behind the school about 12:20 p.m. Witnesses say the victim was banging on the cartridge with the pipe when a nail discharged and struck him in the chest.

The boy went to Children's Hospital Oakland, where he was in stable condition Thursday afternoon, police Sgt. Stephen Bray said. The boy required surgery to remove the shrapnel.

Police continue to investigate the incident.

darwin candidate?

In some ways, just about all 12-year-old boys are darwin candidates. That's why they have parents.

I remember a friend telling me about shooting arrows up in the air as high as he could, and then trying to catch them on a board held over his head.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

HAHAHA, and not at the boy, at a memeroy he made me think of. I used to build houses for a living. One day we were setting up the inside walls of the house, which for all you non-contructiony people involves making sure they are straight by chalking a line and then lining up the wall with said line. My friend/coworker was nailing it down with the nail gun as we got it on the line. He decided to do a little adjusting of his own, nothing out of the ordinary there, but when he kicked the bottom to get it on line he slipped a bit and nailed his foot to the floor instead. I've pulled a lot of nails, but that's the one and only time I've pulled one out of a foot. Needless to say we laughed at him the whole time.:)

Truman Sparks for President

darwin candidate?

In some ways, just about all 12-year-old boys are darwin candidates. That's why they have parents.

I remember a friend telling me about shooting arrows up in the air as high as he could, and then trying to catch them on a board held over his head.

Wendy W.

Up to No Good: The Rascally Things Boys Do
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

all 12-year-old boys are darwin candidates.

Absolutely.B| My Mom keeps coming up with more recollections of Amazingly Stupid Boy tricks I did. I can just imagine what was going on in the minds of those kids as they hit that explosive nail. "OK, OK, I'll hit the explosive nail and it'll go off and go straight at that rock, between your legs. Then, when it hits and starts to ricochet back, you jump up and turn around and watch as I catch it in my teeth"

Whack-BLAM!-MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! WASN'T ME! WASN'T ME! IT WAS TIMMAE'S IDEA! MOM!

Amazingly Stupid Boy tricks I did. I can just imagine what was going on in the minds of those kids

Remember mumblety-peg? I think the idea was to throw a knife as close to the edge of the foot as possible, or something like that.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

In some ways, just about all 12-year-old boys are darwin candidates.

Had a friend - way back when we were about 12 - that took a .38 shell, took the bullet out, poured more powder in, sealed it with wax, and then stuck a glowing-hot wire through the wax to "see what would happen.":S

He lost an eye out of it.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Hey hey hey! No political satire!

Oh. Sorry. I must've forgotten myself...

But still, really, I won't keep nails in the house. And if I had children, I would not allow them in the houses of people who keep nails, either. And I think we should make some new laws which say that nail manufacturers should be held liable. Have you ever read a nail box? There's no warning. Nothing. They simply don't care. They just want the profit on the penny nails...

(how the heck do you get that new evil face thing?)

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I wouldn't call myself by any means "radical," and I can understand if you want to keep a small nail or two, for sport carpentry. I do think it's sad to live in a society where nails can be thought of as "useful" rather than dangerous. But these nail-toters are just ridiculous... have you seen the size of some of these nails? There's absolutely no reason for a sixteen-penny nail.

I figure these guys who want to carry their nails around all the time just do it to compensate for having a small hammer.

M

Mark, I can't even agree with keeping a nail or two around the house. You never know when someone will break in and steal them...and, besides, you can always call a carpenter if you need a nail for something. There is simply no reason for keeping them around.

Furthermore, those carpenters? They should have to have background checks, and massive amounts of paperwork. They should be required to account for all nails at the drop of a hat to whichever government authority would be set up to investigate renegade nail traders. And they should be restricted on buying them except, say, on certain hours on Wednesdays. That way, it would be very easy to track the sale of them.

And yes, I do believe there is a serious psychological issue with someone who has "nail envy"...

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

After commiting my life to christ I don't do thoses things anymore. Glen

People tend to forget that Jesus was a carpenter who could turn water into wine. I'm thinking if he was around he's laugh like hell at you blasting your jaw, drunk, with a nailgun.

Then he'd miraculously heal you and sh*t, but he'd be laughing the whole time:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: