RichM

Gutted

After 20 years of gainful employment in the computer industry I took voluntary severance Oct 2001. I had a great time spending it knowing my CV roxor'd and I'd have no problems getting another job when I wanted. How wrong I was.

I have no job, I can't get one because it's a buyers market and I'm not quite perfect in every way for anything out there, and the ones I can do with my eyes shut I am overqualified for and they won't offer me as they are scared I will leave quickly for a better offer.

I can only skydive when someone pays for me, which as trainee camera man, trainee WARP instructor, trainee RAPS instructor and trainee reserve packer isn't often. And I can't afford to travel to the clubs where I teach trampolining which I also love.

Now the bank have started bouncing my cheques so I can't feed my family. I have a shed load of equity in the house but they won't lend against it - it's not their "policy". And they won't give me a new mortgage that would allow me to downsize my house and constrain my outgoings, as I don't have an income. Stuck between a rock and ahrd place and being shafted from behind.

Life's shit at the moment. I know I am quite quiet in here but I could really do with a virtual hug and beer. Sorry if I have depressed you.
Rich M

I could really do with a virtual hug and beer.

Consider it done!

I'm not sure what you can do to trim expenses any further, but I'd look. I'd also investigate how your support network (friends, family, etc.) can step up and help get you through this. It could be little things like letting you raid the fridge, or big things like a loan. I would also be a demon for job hunting. I'm sure it is difficult, but be willing to do anything and keep looking even once you've found something. Temp in the meantime to bring in some cash for the bills.

Good luck!

That sucks a lot.

Have you spoken with Jack Ceman -- I think he found a firm that specializes in the, uh, chronologically-challenged.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

"I can't get one because it's a buyers market and I'm not quite perfect in every way for anything out there, and the ones I can do with my eyes shut I am overqualified for and they won't offer me as they are scared I will leave quickly for a better offer."

What I have done in the past was to slant my CV (resume) towards the job that was being advertised, its not dishonest, think of it more like marketing.
You have to sell what the employer wants to buy, so change some of the experience, dumb down some stuff, or play up on other areas....You know what I mean....
There are no rules that say you are only allowed one resume.
Anyhow, good luck man, keep the faith.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

dumb down some stuff, or play up on other areas....You know what I mean....
There are no rules that say you are only allowed one resume.

Dave hit the nail on the head here. some perspective employers won't hire "overqualified" staff members, especially if said applicant is in possession of adequate skills to potentially aquire a position(s) of one of their associates. you have a product to sell, yourself, so now you must turn from perspective employee into salesman.

i've been where you are, too many times. i have no doubt you are in possession of the fortitude required to sustain your family and yourself. but in any event, good luck, lots of great vibes, and keep your chin up. so long, take care.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Virtual hug.

Resume writing is an art form.
The best resumes relate your skills and experience to exactly what they need, while forgetting to mention skills and experience that they don't need.

Of course, this approach requires plenty of research into how the company ticks.

The other thing to consider is temporary work/ contract work/job shopping in your field. A good temp agency would be the place to start.

So sorry to hear that. It hits home, certainly! Merrick isn't working in the IT field anymore, at least not now, and unfortunately we're afraid the longer he's out the harder it'll be to get back in when it does eventually pick back up. But he's doing other stuff which he's enjoying, it just pays a lot less. The only regret is that he didn't go find a 'normal' job sooner before our savings dwindled out, but whatever, now we know.

It WILL get better. Keep your head up and all that crap they tell you when this stuff goes on. It's cliche and not what's going to help, but try. And try to do something nice for yourself and your family now and then. You can find some really cheap fun just about anywhere, even if it's just getting out in the sun away from job hunting behind the computer for a little while. Don't beat yourself up either. It's a tough nasty time all over right now. Shit happens, you WILL get through it.

Gawd, that's a whole lot of yacking that won't help, but I really feel for ya. Good luck to you! PM me if you just need to let off steam..I became really good at listening and supporting the last year or so :)

Pammi

Yeah, hang in there man, storms just clear the way for calm. We are all facing some bumps right now. I am on the other end of the spectrum, came out of school with intense motivation. But someone with 10 years experience is will to work for my salary, so why hire me? The IT market is not great. One can only hope it will rebound soon. I am staying in as long as I can so I will be 'in line' before those that got out (sorry Merrick ;)) It is hard enough staying current in the field. Getting out and then getting back in would never work for me. So hang in there man.

--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

That sucks a lot.

Have you spoken with Jack Ceman -- I think he found a firm that specializes in the, uh, chronologically-challenged.

Wendy W.

That is partially correct, Wendy.

What they actually do is what is referred to in some of the other posts in this thread: teach you how to successfully market yourself into a new career.

I got into it for a while and then realized that I was heading into somethng that I really did not want to do. Guess I'm too "Dilberted", but I was actually starting to get ill from the thought of going back into the corporate wars; I'm not sure which was worse, the thought of dealing with the PHBs or becoming one of them (which is where I was headed).

I'm not sure if it is that I have become accustomed to my "life of leisure" or that I dreaded making myself over into something I really didn't want to be. The bottom line is that I have finally lined up something that I can do from my home that I will really enjoy and may even bring in a fair amount of money; I doubt I will return to the wages of the bad old corporate days, but I don't really give a flying fig. If worse comes to worse, I'll have to sell the RV after WFFC this year, but damnit, I'm happy.

All I can tell you Rich is to decide which path you want to take -- if you do want to get with a proven program that will work with you and help you market yourself until you get a good-paying job, PM me for the info. At any rate, good luck.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?