Enrique

So sad....

> It isn't going to be a unilateral invasion!

are you sure about that?

We have the support of numerous countries around the world.

But they're not all invading with you. Im talking about the invasion. And im watching the house of commons debate right now and it doesnt look like a sure thing there either, and thats the country that has been the US's most vocal supporter. BTW I think it will go through, but it wont be a landslide by any means - have a look at the thread i started on the debate.

I do think that cuttng the legs off the UN wasnt the best way to go for anyone . . .

The US has abandoned the UN because it is no longer allowing us to achieve our goal.

Yes - but the point of the UN was to gain consensus on these acts. You shouldnt have joined in the first place if you were always going to go your own way..

US goal: To make our country and the world a safer place to live.

Interesting concept. In the long run that *may* be the result, but in the short term it has made the entire world less safe. Terror threats have risen in Saudi, Kuwait, UK, US, Yemen, Israel, Jordan, Bahrain etc.. The US goal is actually to change the Regime in Iraq with the idea that this will make the world safer is Sadaam isnt in charge. Once the US gives Iraq its freedom, and they decide perhaps to become another fundamentalist regime - rem that Sadaam is in the minority there and 2/3rds of the country are fundamentalists - what happens then?? What happens when there is another Taliban in Ira and they *are* supporting Osama?
Bear in mind that in this instance the US is really dooing what Osama wants... he wants Sadaam out too.

France is abusing it's veto power to achieve it's goal.

Define abusing. They said they will use it as they are entitled to do. Has the US been *abusing* its veto for the last 30 years when banning any action against Israel?

France's goal: To not lose a ton of money and futures they've got invested in Iraq.

Quite possibly I really dont know *why* they are taking this stance. As a matter of interest whats Americas goal in continually using its veto?

The UN became terminally useless ***
Lets hope not. Or the US may end up looking at Vietnam as a weekend outing. Without the UN after this war, are you going to take on all the restructuring by yourselves? all the peacekeeping etc?

Genie

Talk all you want about the US. This is still the greatest country in the world. Why do you think so many are trying to get in and not many are leaving ?

As far as Slovenia, I know it is beautiful. I did some searching on it (obviously... I don't know those figures by heart) and it look gorgeous. However, I didn't see anything that would out do the US. One thing I didn't see photos of were many old cities... that is one thing that the USA lacks since we knock down everything old to put up new. I hate that.

I don't ever recall writing about how our country couldn't stand for improvement. There are so many things that I would love to change here. (Civil cases, medical care, & oil drilling for starters.) I am, however, going on the record and saying that this is a great country.
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

My prayers go out to the troops and their familes.
Mine too - but let's not forget that many of the people of Boston and Chicago and San Francisco paid money to support terrorists. What goes around comes around.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

y'know John, Ive made that exact point in so many posts on this site that ive lost count. It has *never* been addressed by the person/s who says "We should go to war with Sadaam, he funds terrorists!!"

Wonder if you will have any better luck?

Show your proof and get them prosecuted or shut the hell up..>:(

Proof? have you ever heard of NORAID ? A Legal fund raising and lobbying body in America? Who sent money to the IRA on a regular basis for about 20 years? C'mon, thats like saying show me proof that the Red Cross gives money to refugees! And tey cant be prosecuted because they operated with the sanction of the US Government. They were a legal body. Rhino - i understand that its alien to you that americans would support terrorists. I understand as well that the people who gave money to NORAID genuinely believed that they were helping - but that money was used by terrorists, for terrorist activities in the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. You may not want to believe it, its unpalatable - but its also a well known fact.

Genie

From HH his big, bad self:

The rules are:
1) No personal attacks. None.
2) No jokes or references to pedophilia. None.
3) No advertising
4) Stick to the topics in the topical forums

Can we add a #5?

5) No war or political threads. None. Period.

To be honest Rev I would prefer to keep the thread going. Its thru threads like this - and on on rec.skydiving called Franc Sucks that has changed my mind on this war. In this kind of discussion - leaving out the whole insults and im better than you coz i was in the army stuff, some people are bringing up good points that make me for one think.
Mind you - im sure everyone reading my stuff thinks im completely anti Bush and War - im not. But i do want to challenge what people seem to believe about why the US is going to war - ie France 'abused' a veto - The US has used its veto 34 time re Israel - they didnt get attacked by the rest of the world for being pussies and capitalists etc. I want to challenge these things and make people *think* about what they are saying and what they believe and i think a thread like this is an oportunity to do this for those who will read what is said and address what is said - not what they think was said.

To Mrs Lowpullin - my heart goes out to you and all the people in your situation. you are all in my prayers. While i may come across as anti war I would like to state here and now that I have the utmost respect and admiration for those people who will put their lives on the line in the coming weeks for what they believe. God keep them all.

Genie

[ I hope the people that I know who signed up for ROTC to get money for college don't have to fight in a war that they think is stupid.

The contract for ROTC is very clear. Anyone that goes into ROTC is well aware of their obligations, just like any enlisted man or woman who signs on the line.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Anyone that goes into ROTC is well aware of their obligations, just like any enlisted man or woman who signs on the line.

I agree, which is why I never signed up as an "easy" way to get money since we were in "peace time." It doesn't mean that I don't pity them for being forced to fight in a war they feel is stupid.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Humility is a great thing? I agree.. Please explain to me what great act of service has taught you humility? What sacrifice have you made for others?

Man, Rhino, for some reason you seem to be VERY angry with the world (or with yourself). Take it easy my friend, you will have your war in a couple of days, regardless of what we "idealists" think or say, and then you may become a happy camper. Jeesh!

We are not defending ourself we are attacking...big difference!

Ummm.... sure........ I won't bother breaking it down for you.... Here is your sign:o

Please, don't lose sight of the developments over the past year. First, your target was Bin Laden and Al-quaeda. YOU COULDN'T CATCH HIM. Therefore, you pick on someone else: SADAM HUSSEIN. The first intention was to disarm Iraq.... all of a sudden the objective has changed. Now, the goal is to convert -bomb- Iraq (in a matter of days, I might add) to democracy. Doesn't it seem a little bit odd for you? Please follow up closely and don't forget what has happened over the last months....

Iraq (in a matter of days, I might add) to democracy.

Um, isn't Iraq already a constitutional republic? Seems to me I recall Sadam being "voted" in...or am I confused? It's been known to happen.....

http://www.economist.com/countries/Iraq/profile.cfm?folder=Profile%2DPolitical%20Structure

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I agree, which is why I never signed up as an "easy" way to get money since we were in "peace time." It doesn't mean that I don't pity them for being forced to fight in a war they feel is stupid.

How can anybody who voluntarily signs a contract stating that they will fight in a war be in ANY way be "forced" to go and fight?

I suspect the recruiter didn't tell them, hey here's

an "easy" way to get money since we were in "peace time."

so where would anyone get that idea when they sign up?

. . =(_8^(1)

How can anybody who voluntarily signs a contract stating that they will fight in a war be in ANY way be "forced" to go and fight?

Okay...you missed my point. Yes, they signed up for it. Yes, they knew there was the possibility that they would have to fight. Yes, I agree with that. At that point, it is (usually) no longer their decision whether they fight or not. If the govt. believes we should go to war with Ireland because the beer they ship is too expensive, some people would be forced to go. Yes, they sign up knowing that they may have to fight no matter what. I just feel bad for people who are forced to kill innocent people (civilians) for a reason that they don't even "believe" in.

I suspect the recruiter didn't tell them, hey here's

You really think recruiters haven't said that? I heard basically that exact statement from numerous recruiters all along campus.

so where would anyone get that idea when they sign up?

Recruiters/presentations/etc. Do you really think that they wouldn't try to tell college freshman anything to recruit them?

I am attending auburn university on a naval ROTC scholarship and I assure you that the last thing that I or any other ROTC cadet want is your pity. We joined so that we could hold ourselves up to a higher level and give something back to the country that we love. If we had simply needed a way to pay for college we would have gotten a loan. I am glad that you never signed up because the military service as a whole would suffer if we were producing officers that joined for an "easy" way to get money.

From the Auburn NROTC webpagewww.auburn.edu/nrotc

To develop Midshipmen, Marines and Officer Candidates mentally, morally, and physically and to imbue them with the highest ideals of duty, honor, and loyalty in order to commission college graduates as Naval Officers who possess a basic professional background, are motivated toward careers in the Naval Service, and have a potential for future development in mind and character so as to assume the highest responsibilities of command, citizenship, and government.

Now achieving that would be a little bit difficult if we were all out looking for a few easy bucks.

One thing I didn't see photos of were many old cities... that is one thing that the USA lacks since we knock down everything old to put up new.

Mmm, you do realize that the US really isn't old enough to have old cities, whether they knock anything down or not. You do realize that in many other parts of the world massive cities had already been built before the US was "discovered". ??????

I just feel bad for people who are forced to kill innocent people (civilians) for a reason that they don't even "believe" in.

A poll of the troops standing in wait right now would be interesting to see. I doubt a very large percentage of them think the impending ass-kicking is "stupid". Uncle Sam develops the mind AND the body, you know. And remember -- the US will not go in intentionally killing civilians.

You really think recruiters haven't said that?

Okay, point given. When I was in college a long, long, long time ago, the lies were more about what job or location you would end up getting.

. . =(_8^(1)

We joined so that we could hold ourselves up to a higher level and give something back to the country that we love.

If you think the majority of people do it for the same reasons you listed, I think you've been misled. I think it's probably 50/50 on "I did it to be a better person/serve my country" and "I need a easy way to pay for college" - otherwise, why would they even offer it? Otherwise, why would they even offer to pay for your school? They'd just say "Join up, serve your country, and be a better person" not "We'll pay for your schooling!"
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I assure you that the last thing that I or any other ROTC cadet want is you pity.

I don't think you can speak for everyone.

We joined so that we could hold ourselves up to a higher level and give something back to the country that we love.

I know quite a few people who joined because that's the only way they could afford college and graduate in 4 years with an engineering degree.

If we had simply needed a way to pay for college we would have gotten a loan.

Most people don't get that much from student grants/loans.

I am glad that you never signed up because the military service as a whole would suffer if we were producing officers that joined for an "easy" way to get money

Yes, I am also glad I never signed up. I do not have a strong love for my country, and I would even consider moving to a country that I think is better. And, I'm sorry, but the military is producing officers who went in as an "easy" way to pay for college.

I'm sorry. People go into it as a way to pay for college. People do many desperate things to pay for college (loans that are never paid off, plasma selling, stripping, joining ROTC).

Yes, and he got 100% of the vote! Democracy rules! Ask any Iraqian citizen.

You heard he got 100% of the vote. Vote no to Sadham in Iraq and you get to meet his sons. Short;y after you get dipped in acid and killed.

Don't be fooled...

I am attending auburn university on a naval ROTC scholarship and I assure you that the last thing that I or any other ROTC cadet want is your pity. We joined so that we could hold ourselves up to a higher level and give something back to the country that we love. If we had simply needed a way to pay for college we would have gotten a loan. I am glad that you never signed up because the military service as a whole would suffer if we were producing officers that joined for an "easy" way to get money.

Semper Fi!!!

Rhino

[email]As I said usually those who are looking soley for money usually do not have the dedication to make it through (I can only speak for Auburn). In my limited experience in the Navy (3 yrs active and 3 yrs at auburn) regardless of initial motivations people in the Navy are willing to perform, without reservations, their duty. And I feel, as does everyone that I have talked to in my particular ROTC unit, that this is a just war.

And, I'm sorry, but the military is producing officers who went in as an "easy" way to pay for college.

Well I am really glad that IMO we don't have that problem in Auburn or in the submarine force (six year commitment is too long for them).