SpeedRacer

"LOSE" is spelled with one "O"

Ah di'n't say "a whole another", dagnabbit. 'Sides, boy, we ain't discussin' them rednek talkin' rules, we's talkin' 'bout them high falootin' collidge ritin' rules! :P:D

While we're at it, where is the first comma supposed to go? Before or after the quotation mark?

While we're at it, where is the first comma supposed to go? Before or after the quotation mark?

I be thinkin it deepens on ur kontext. but to mah bess recollection is comes on after the quotations.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

In American English, it almost invariably goes inside the quotation marks, no matter how little sense it makes. I believe British English rules make it context-dependent.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

In American English, it almost invariably goes inside the quotation marks, no matter how little sense it makes. I believe British English rules make it context-dependent.
Wendy W.

damn... i always knowed i shudda listend up to waht my maw said... she tawght english stuff at college. why couldnt have that stuff just rubbed off?
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

>Oh, and words like "subsidise" SHOULD NOT be spelt with z's

Only in the UK. Over here it's still subsidize.

Yea and you go to Austraila and they spell tire: tyre, and color: colour. and sooo many more.
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

i always knowed i shudda listend up to waht my maw said

Thass right, bubba. Always listen to your maw. Then tell my son why that's wise;)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Btw, an ellipsis is all three dots, an individual dot is just a period

And a period is . . . oops, sorry, that belongs in the womans only forum . . . .

:P
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

ok, here's another annoying thing I see on this site all the time when someone has an outstanding achievement . . ."congraduations!" ARGH! It's "congratulations, people! Haven't you ever heard the slang term "congrats"? Why on earth would you change that to have a "d" in the word when you spell it out then? :S

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hey, so far no one has mentioned that other grammatical classic: IRREGARDLESS!

:P

2 entries found for IRREGARDLESS.
ir·re·gard·less ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-gärdls)
adv. Nonstandard
Regardless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Probably blend of irrespective, and regardless.]
Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

IRREGARDLESS

adv : in spite of everything; without regard to drawbacks; "he carried on regardless of the difficulties" [syn: regardless, irrespective, disregardless, no matter, disregarding]

:P It's in the dictionary, it's a real word. :P
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Also, learn the difference between you're and your, they're and their, etc. All of this was covered in elementary school. If you are a skydiver, you must be over 18 by now, so please try to keep up.

They're parking their car over there.

You're going to lose your rig if your chest strap is loose.

If you choose not to listen to your mentor, you'll get yours.

..While you're at it, hang up the cell phone while you're driving & pay attention to the f&*king road.

Hey dude...my headset makes me immune... :P j/k ...

And stop supporting legislation to require environmentally "correct", but non-functioning toilets.

Have you seen some of the newer American Standard ones? They're like the super-turbo-flush-anything 1-Gallon flusher. But overall, I was worried once, it seemed like they weren't engineered correctly for a while.... :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

>Oh, and words like "subsidise" SHOULD NOT be spelt with z's

Only in the UK. Over here it's still subsidize.

Yea and you go to Austraila and they spell tire: tyre, and color: colour. and sooo many more.

Yep. We spell things the correct way.

Like gaol, and honour, and caesium, to name but a few.

Now we can start to debate about tautologies, oxymorons and pleonasms too.

That said, there's another one for you: to, two and too...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

to completely derail this thread:
does "up up down down left right left right b a select start" mean anything to anyone?

Contra all the way!!!!

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Why thank you Arlo, I now understand why y'all call it aluminum, and I will no longer let American pisspronounciation perturb me.;)

"One hopes that Sir Humphry Davy, wherever he may be, is at last happy. "
Mister Davy can indeed rest easy, the safety lamp (for which he is rightly famous) that he invented must have saved thousands of underground workers' lives over the years...B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

All right, what about the ubiquitous announcement...
"The First Annual Macfeegle Boogie"

I mean, how can you have a "first annual" anything, first means its never happened before, annual means it happens every year, how can it happen every year if its never happend before?....:SB|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson