jumpwally

Teenage tandem ?

There are quite a few people who started skydiving while they were minors, but most of them had family that ran dropzones. It's going to be hard for you to find a dropzone that will let a minor jump because of all of the waivers that have to be signed. I think it's possible to find one that will let her jump in a few places, it's just more difficult.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I agree with Hooknswoop, but you may be adimite about it. Make sure she knows all the risks involved with a tandem jump. Just because daddy had 600+ skydives doesn't make it safe. One reason for the waiver is to try and drive home the fact that you are really doing something that could get you hurt, or worse.

Kids tend to think that if their parents do something, it won't hurt them becuase their parents are invincible (a tragic realization when they hit their mid-20's that it ain't true). Hence the whole if parents smoke mostlikely thier kids smoke...bla bla bla.

Also, make sure your Tandem Master is going into this with his eyes open, don't lie to him, let him make his own decision weather or not he wants to take the many risks that far outweigh your daughter waiting less than a year.

Jeremy Neas

Let her wait for another year. when she is 18 is better, why to jeopardize the companies that make this happen. If she is not eighteen all your family can sue if something goes wrong.
So let her wait.

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

According to the tandem makers and the USPA, your daughter can not do a tandem until she is 18.

Now, if you would like her to do a Static Line, IAD, or AFF jump, all you need to do is find a DZ that will let her, as the USPA say you need only be 16 for those methods of training (with a parents consent).
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

According to the tandem makers

So how does this rule work in the UK where the age is 16?

beats me. I was replying to a guy from Illinois and unlike California, that is in the USA.
It's your life, live it!

Yeah, buy I know they say it's supposed to be 18+ only. What's Cali do to do with anything? ;)

CAli isn't really a state. It's not a country either, though. Cali is just, well, Cali, and the rest of us pretty much just ignore what goes on over there. B|
It's your life, live it!

D. Age requirements [NW]

1. For jumps with a single-harness, dual parachute system, skydivers are to be at least, either:

a. 18 years of age [FB]

b. 16 years of age with notarized parental or guardian consent [NW]

2. For jumps with a tandem parachute system, skydivers are to be at least the age of legal majority. [FB]

http://www.uspa.org/Publications/SIM/SIMtext/Section2.htm
Age of legal majority is 18 years in most states - however - check your state to be sure!

My dad used to work at a dropzone, so I've wanted to jump since I was about eight... but I waited until last summer when I turned 18 to make my first jump (which was a tandem).

My advice would be to let her stick it out and wait another year... You won't have to stress over the legalities and age requirements that would be a concern to you if she just jumped into it now (no pun intended :P)... besides, she'll be 18 before she knows it, and you'll know exactly what to get her for her birthday! ;)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

I took my daughter for her 1st Tandem at age 8. She'd been nagging me since she was 4. Her mom and I agreed to wait till she was 7. At 7, I felt she was not yet ready - so we went for a few rides in the plane. She jumped 1 week after her 8th birthday. She's now 9, and will be doing her 3rd Tandem this weekend. (She wants to pull for herself. Last dive she checked alti and gave me a thumbs up at pull time)

I think as long as you're sure its something your child wants to do - and not something you want them to do for you - its OK. My daughter is a real little girl - but she rock climbs with me as well.

No, I don't have a son.:)
Little daughter, now 4 and a half, is starting to nag already...:D She points out body position errors to students on the DZ and shows them reserve drills.

If you can get around the waivers, and find a TM you can trust - and who trusts you and your daughter - it should be OK.

t

It's the year of the Pig.

Yeah,,i understand all the legal stuff,,i've been around.I understand the risks, so does she,it was her idea, not mine I have access to plane,rig,and TM and dz owner, long time friend,,but that is not the issue.....as a parent do you allow it to happen? what is the real or percieved difference if you are 16 or 18 ? you can drive a car at 16,,you can pay cash for a car at 16 and go run someone over, you can take flying lessons at 16,,,so as a parent is there a diff between 16 or 19 for that matter? i guess i'm looking for opinions from a dad's point of view or if you where a parent point of view,,i enjoy eveyone's comments....wally
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

My daughter is almost 17 ,,she wants to try a tandem. Should I let her ? what do you all think ? Look forward to all the great comments....wally

i'd let her go. if she can get an early start on this sport, let her. i mean look at how many people didn't start until they were like 30 or 40 or what ever, there always saying they wish they got started at a younger age. i say the younger the better for starting.

hell, i made my first tandem at 7.

if the dz will let her, go for it.

later