greenemachine

there i was thought i was going to die.

a non-jumping friend and i were discussing the door and how the "there i was, thought i was going to die" thoughts set in on your first jump. he feels that there is a percentage of people that never experience that and i had to disagree. so can anyone say that they were so mentally prepared that they did not experience this....
If a Blonde throws a pin at you RUN, shes got a hand grenade in her mouth!

Never thought I was going to die. Not even in the situations that I later realized were dangerous. My guess is that most skydivers have never thought this, but I could be wrong. Make it a poll and find out.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

a non-jumping friend and i were discussing the door and how the "there i was, thought i was going to die" thoughts set in on your first jump. he feels that there is a percentage of people that never experience that and i had to disagree. so can anyone say that they were so mentally prepared that they did not experience this....

Low jump numbers here but I have never thought I was gonna die, but every jump so far I have thought I "COULD" die.
I did have one morning where I was heading to the dz and it just didnt feel "right".I turned around and went home.Didnt really try to analize it or nuthin,just felt strange so I didnt go.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Having just done a few tandems, I never thought that before as I was at the door. I was so ready, but after exiting I thought in a split second, "What the f***, did I just do??? Then, I just thought, 'enjoy it, there is no turning back now'.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

let me rephrase that statement. we were dicussing the overwelling felling u get at the door on your first jump (not that you were actually thinking u were going to die) and that he felt that there is a percentage of the first time jumpers that never felt that feeling.
If a Blonde throws a pin at you RUN, shes got a hand grenade in her mouth!

I did have one morning where I was heading to the dz and it just didnt feel "right".I turned around and went home.

This is called, "instinct" It has come in handy for me after a jump or series that I realized... "I'm done for today, my head isn't in it."

The other but more troubling is on (one or two) occasion somebody has asked me, "hey, did that scare you?" [in effect] meaning it should have, well same result, "i guess i'll call it a day"

So what actually crosses my mind I have come to theorize isn't what is more troubling than what doesn't. Because its what I don't know or am not paying attention to that is likely to make me hurt or worse.

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

I have never thought I was going to die. Then again I have been a nut my whole life. I have always put myself in some pretty interesting situations.

You just have to learn how to relax in stressful situations. If you keep your head screwed on straight everything will be fine.

Some people know of my escapades and can tell you that I have lived past my nine lives. I must have a Guardian Angel :) who really likes me.

I have learned to accept Death on any day. Then again when you have had as many incidents as me both skydiving and non-skydiving related it makes it a little easier. B|

Laters Blue Skies & Long Swoops!!!!!

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

"I did have one morning where I was heading to the dz and it just didnt feel "right".I turned around and went home.Didnt really try to analize it or nuthin,just felt strange so I didnt go."

That's happen to me before and at those times I refuse to jump.............instinct is a great tool my friend.

Subconsciously I think I was convinced I was going to die. I started SL, where you had to climb out on the strut yourself and let go yourself, so I think I had a greater feeling that _I_ was doing something stupid than a tandem passenger who is effectively rolled out the door.

HI there,

I concur with Bill. I also went through static line, in my case in an Islander, and my first jump was a "one-off" for charity. All my early jumps, as I was told "In the Door" were characterised by FEAR (!) as I moved into the door, from safety into nothing, my legs were now dangling, my feet weren't bearing any weight, I was about to something that "the bottom of my brain" absolutely rebelled against.
Yet strangely (perhaps masochistically) Ultimately I broke through the fear into the joy. With hindsight it was worth it, and I can now sing myself...

Mike D10270.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

...that he felt that there is a percentage of the first time jumpers that never felt that feeling.

Sorry,,,,

No. I didn't and since never have. I dunno? just never have. Apprehenisive, uncertain, unsure... yes.
"I'm gonna die..." No.

trust your rig, be in sync with your aura, know your partners, know your terrain and don't fly your wing faster all at once... for me.

peace
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

One of the biggest rushes for me on my first jump was the initial moments after I left the plane, when i realised I really was committed to the act I was going to do.

The feeling was partly that of extreme surealness, surealness in that I WAS still alive - as if somehow it was the act of leaving the plane that would kill me, not impacting the ground.

I'm amazed at some of the first jump students who are pumped up before hand (just like I was), confident in the plane on the way up (just like I was), and were aggresive in the door (just like I was), but showed little more then a smile and "yeah, it was fun" afterwards. I wonder if these people were overcome in a similar manner that I was, but for whatever reason choose to repress it.

I think they repress it.

_Am

(scott, BTW - have you let trish out of the closet yet?)
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I was pretty scared for my first jump (AFF1 out of a King Air). Never did a tandem, maybe that would have made it easier.

Even the first dozen jumps or more were scary. When I'd drive to the DZ for my first few AFF jumps my stomach would be churning, and there would be a part of me that would "hope" that the weather would be too bad for me to jump. Weird, right???

hmmm, I think it's kind of strange that some people aren't at all scared before their first jump(s).
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I have never met a single person who said they were never scared.

Oh hell- Fear in the door? Hell yeah-Actually, on first jump, once I began climbing out on the strut (S/L student here) I think the fear was replaced by focus on the task at hand. Didn't have time to be scared. On many jumps I got really nervous. I would ask myself "Why the hell am I putting myself through this?" after the jump, I realize why I do it, whooop and holler, and manifest for the next load. I still get a little nervous, but no biggie.

Easy Does It

so can anyone say that they were so mentally prepared that they did not experience this....

Well I guess although I never thought " god I'm going to die" I was scared for sure. Everytime that frigging door opened I got scared. I kept thinking that we might hit some turbulence and I would fall out the door.:S Even tho I was going to intentionally jump out in a few seconds. I know it doesn't make sense. Now it's no big deal but for the first few jumps I remember fearing I was going to somehow fall out the door. Now sitting by the door is the best. I look out and somedays the views are incredible in San Diego.B| At Elsinore seeing the hills covered in poppies was great. I can't wait to go to Monterey Bay. Is it the weekend yet?[:/]

Ok enough day dreaming

Ed

Sometimes when I think of all the crazy stuff I've done coming out of an airplane I am sure I have many times prayed and hoped for the best. I can recall a couple of old skydiving buds Ron and Rob. When I was just a newbie those guys would come up with some scary stuff (now I wouldn't think it was so scary) but at the time ... I would be in the airplane like, ummm are you guys sure this is safe??? They would just tell me to shut up and jump. We used to have this one guy who would sit in the tail of the airplane and chant before every jump and I have often seen jumpers do the father son holy ghost chest cross before exiting. I used to be scared doing 10 way competitively when after one of my teammates was knocked unconscious by the door, turned back belly to Earth at 5 grand and pulled. Fear is a good thing and so far it has kept me safe.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

I have often seen jumpers do the father son holy ghost chest cross before exiting.

Nah, that's just checking "chest strap, leg straps, cutaway, reserve". ;)

. Fear is a good thing and so far it has kept me safe.

Well said. Stay scared, check your gear, check your buddies gear. B|

I have talked to many of the "sky gods" and asked them all if they still get "nervous" before a jump and eventhough some wouldnt come right out and say it, they would respond from "yea a little" to "EVERYTIME!!" and the one who said everytime, has over 11,000 jumps. he also said if your not atleast a little scared you need to stop skydiving.
but for me some days im more nervous than others and that is what i love about it..but i never let the nervousness affect my judgement, when i had my accident i was totaly calm and totaly aware of everything..actually i was super aware cuz i remember the smallest details and how quickly i reacted to them..and when i tell people about it they are surprised that i only broke my ankle....
I am the light my son...What you seek is fire

let me rephrase that statement. we were dicussing the overwelling felling u get at the door on your first jump (not that you were actually thinking u were going to die) and that he felt that there is a percentage of the first time jumpers that never felt that feeling.

nope. didn't happen to me until about level 6 aff... then it got a little mental...

The night before my first jump (tandem) I kept getting butterflies and got that "omigod what am I thinking?!" feeling. But day of I was totally gung-ho and couldn't wait to get out the door. Then the jitters came back for AFF1... how could you not think that after hours of studying malfunctions and how to deal with them?!

Fall in dove.

I honestly have never though I was gonna die. I know I could, but nothing has scared me that bad, yet.

I have thought others were about to die though. Those sites and memories still make me cringe.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

before i started AFF i thought i was going to have a real problem with the door, to the extent i told my instructors to just push me if i looked like iwasn't going to make it. I knew i wanted to do it. Anyhew, after 6 or so hours ground school we were hanging around on a weather hold for the first jump. Then the clouds parted, and we were on a call. Got in the plane, got to altitude, stood in the door. No fear. it was like something took over. I dont know what it was, but i just knew this was what i was going to do. Full credit to the instructors for telling me my rig was rigged, not going to open etc... whatever it was, i just got to the door, looked out. "check in, check out, prop up, down... ARCH !!!! " absolutely amazing [:D]

There was no fear for the whole jump. Just absolute exhilliration. The weird thing is through all my jumps so far (only 22) i have never at any point thought, i could die. It hasn't even crossed my mind. I'm fully prepared if the worst happens. I made that decision before i took up skydiving. You have to. It's just i haven't thought about it yet.

aww... all this talk of jumping.. i want to be on a load now :(

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I started SL and I clearly remember thinking, "What the hell am I doing?! This is not normal!" I didn't think I was going to die, but there was so much going on in my head that day! The first thing I thought when the door opened was about how cold it was. That really suprised me. I guess it never occurred to me because it was July (in Texas).

--
A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. -Oliver Wendel Holmes

I'm amazed at some of the first jump students who are pumped up before hand (just like I was), confident in the plane on the way up (just like I was), and were aggresive in the door (just like I was), but showed little more then a smile and "yeah, it was fun" afterwards. I wonder if these people were overcome in a similar manner that I was, but for whatever reason choose to repress it.

I think they repress it.

I've responded to a few of my jumps like this, actually. It sounds to me like they were still pretty overcome by what happened, rather than as though they were repressing it.

The jumps that don't go quite as planned, I'm usually walking away very deep in thought, planning, thinking about next time, making mental notes. I walk away from the ones that go well with pure exuberance.

But for a first-jump student, the whole thing can be very overwhelming...it can take some time to process it. Did you ever see these people make second jumps? Did they respond the same way?
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All