skykitten

Do you suffer from a mental disorder?

On a somewhat serious note, I am doing a research study on people with mental disorders finding meaning in extreme sports.
The premise behind this study is to determine the whether or not a relative stability can be achieved with the induction of an extreme activity... or rather, if jumping out of airplanes (or doing other such things) can help people stay sane.
I deal with depression issues. My life has been turbulent, to say the least. After my first jump, things came into perspective a bit, and my determination to become a skydiver is preventing me from dropping back into old habits.
Perhaps it is the life affirmation in the act of deploying one's parachute, or the knowledge that you are, essentially, completely in control of your own life for a few minutes.
feel free to share stories or PM me. The research conducted will (hopefully) be integrated into my forthcoming book.
Thanks!
:)

When walking up to an officer, it is not advisable to say, "Trick or Donut." Seriously.

You didn't put one up for us extreme cases..

Bipolar, Manic depressive, Attention defficit disordered alcoholics. Who have addictive personalities..

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

You seemed pretty interested in that bagglecreation i got at Elsinore. Damn that thing was good!!:)

I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Yes, I have problems with substance abuse: alcohol and caffeine.
I started drinking because of low self esteem and social pressure. Back in the old days, you could not get invited on the good loads unless you stayed up all night drinking with the chief instructor. Mind you, the lack of sleep and headache meant that I spent more time flopping around the sky than taking grips and I had no energy left over for packing.
Eventually I became a tandem instructor and realized that reporting for work hung over was a dis-service to my students, so I started cutting back on the booze. I have not touched a drop in the last seven years.
Though I did dream about drinking last night.

My other substance abuse problem is with caffeine. Initially I started drinking coffee to compensate for insomnia, but the caffeine only made it more difficult to fall asleep at night: a viscious circle. I have never been able to break the caffeine addiction, but at least these days I can limit it to two or three cups in the morning.

And yes, I have seen plenty of other mental problems in other skydivers.

lol hungry? girl the look on your face led me to believe that you would have bitten my hand off if i didn't get it away from the food fast enough!:D:P:P

I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Hmmm...what if you dont know? I've never been diagnosed!
When I started skydiving, I was quick to give up a few bad habits.
I've only done 13 jumps and it's totally changed my life. I am a happier person (much less anal then I used to be), I have a better zest for life...ra ra ra.
The only thing that I am pissed about is that I cant skydive at the moment, as I'm earning peanuts for work.[:/]

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

Sounds like interesting research, but you can already find alot of information related to dopamine, depression, substance abuse and risk taking behavior. I'm a psychiatry resident at a university close to several major dropzones and unfortunately see that skydiving has a disproportionate amount of participants with mental disorders. I would still like to see your results.l

I've been thinking about this for a couple of months. With depression, I think a major factor to look at is the release of feel-good chemicals like dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine, etc. which everyone knows create the rush.

I've been wondering: If you're severely depressed, does making a skydive bring your brain chemicals up to only "normal" levels, thus making you feel like yourself again? Something that you may not have experienced for a long time?

How long does the goodness last?

Is skydiving good/safe for people who may be suicidal? Is it detrimental?

Or does it reinforce, in a very spectacular way, the choice to LIVE?

Good luck with your study and please post how it's going. There should be a lot of interest in this topic.

Andie

Just a quick blurb. If skydiving was detrimental to people who may be suicidal, wouldn't we have more skydiving suicides?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Hmm I never been diagnosed, but although skydiving is something I always wanted to do, I didnt acheive it until my last relationship ended. I then used the skydiving and the trip to the states as a pick me up, and something to focus on and bring some perspective back into my life!:)

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

girl the look on your face led me to believe that you would have bitten my hand off if i didn't get it away from the food fast enough!:D:P:P

:D Nah! You were safe. And, I don't bite...I nibble. ;)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I'm a psychiatry resident at a university close to several major dropzones and unfortunately see that skydiving has a disproportionate amount of participants with mental disorders.

Why unfortunately? It seems like if skydiving brings together all sorts of people with mental disorders, we are like a world wide support group! Secondly, I feel that extreme sports is a healthier way to treat some disorders. Using the bodys natural chemistry rather than the pharmacy.
T.S.S # 5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To dream great dreams is itself an act of daring. -Eric Shipton & Bill Tilman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

. I have not touched a drop in the last seven years.
Though I did dream about drinking last night.

Yeah,I still enjoy those "freebies" now and then myself ;)

dropdeded

------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I agree, I can go out and find a load of info on mental disorders, brain chemistry, risky behavior... you name it. I do, however, believe there is a real gap in information available to people interested in the subject.
For the most part, you can find books that take it from a clinical standpoint... the why and why not, the seratonin and dopamine conundrums, and numerous theories on every aspect of every condition known to man. (Which is some boring stuff, btw. :P)Then you've got books like "Girl, Interrupted" and "Prozac Nation". Very heartwrenching, especially if you can identify with the feelings described, but too personal.
The common thread in all is therapy and medication.
But, with skydiving, I've seen people, who were on the verge of breakdown, come back with such vigor, such renewed vitality... it's incredible. I'll be scoping out this and other sports... car racing, skateboarding, etc... to see if these lifestyles are effectively helping people to regain their lives.
Without drugs... or supervised discussion groups.
I am TIRED of hearing that the only way to heal is with hours spent with a psychiatrist or with a drug cocktail that Hunter S Thompson would be impressed by.
I know that hobbies and religion are touted as being supplemental healing tools, but what if, by some chance, we are actually healing a bit more every time we jump? (Or drive fast or zoom down a hill on a funky shaped board that has our feet attached to it?)
That's the gap I want to fill. The questions I want to answer.
Something between science and personal experience... that shoots from the hip and shows a few more options geared towards living a fulfilling, happy life.
Too many people are breathing, but not living. You know what I mean?

When walking up to an officer, it is not advisable to say, "Trick or Donut." Seriously.

Dont forget SAD Seasonal Affective Disorder.
Us Brits tend to suffer from this:P

Here is a link to a web site that deals with it.
I know in winter I do feel shitty especially when you get up at 06:00 and it is still dark for another 2 hours at least and then it starts getting dark again at 16:00 ish:(:(
Makes me feel sad anyway.
But at least the summer is coming:)

www.myspace.com/durtymac