51twinspinner

Would they make it?

definitely die of shock during the freefall. Have you ever been around chickens? There used to be a free range chicken farm near my house, and I swear you could run and stomp up to one and they would freak out, one flipped over and died of shock when we did that. We were 12.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

..."or whether they would doof in. Any thoughts on the subject would be welcome.

They would doof.

The ancestor of modern chickens, the wild red jungle fowl, wasn't a great flier, but he could get around. Enter us. We took the wild red jungle fowl and started selectively breeding to produce bigger pectoralis muscles and eventually we got a bird which can't get off the ground and winds up in a bucket..

The entire poultry family (chickens, turkeys, guineas, etc,) have adapted to living on the ground. Their beaks are better adapted to pecking off the ground, their feet to walking instead of perching, and their wings are smaller than other birds their size.

End of thread.

The DZO at my old dz wondered the very same thing one day many years ago. The details are best left fuzzy but it ended up with one chicken in a gunny sack at altitude. The chicken didn't fly, and actually made quite a mess. The SPCA (society for prevention of cruelty to animals) found out about it. He got in a bunch of trouble.

Made for a great story though. :D

I'm sure that if you toss a pig out at 3000 it won't survive. The chicken? Well perhaps out of a balloon but letting it out at 100 MPH would prolly break it severly.

I think andy2 hit the answer right on the nose.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The DZO at my old dz wondered the very same thing one day many years ago. The details are best left fuzzy but it ended up with one chicken in a gunny sack at altitude. The chicken didn't fly, and actually made quite a mess. The SPCA (society for prevention of cruelty to animals) found out about it. He got in a bunch of trouble.

Made for a great story though. :D

ROFLOL wish i could have gotten that on film.

Oh the humanity!! First the Hindenburg and now this. Who knew turkeys couldn't fly?? Poor Mr. Carlson. He tried so hard.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

It's been done.
The following is from memory many years ago in Indiana.

Sex: unknown, too many feathers to tell.
Number of jumps: 1
Time in sport: 1 day
Cause of death: impact
Description:

Deceased exited aircraft at 2000 over the peas.
After initially flapping wings, deceased folded up
wings and made no further effort to flap until impact.
An AAD and a reserve may have prevented this fatality.

System: none
Main: none
Reserve: none
AAD: none
RSL: none
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I wonder what a chicken's WING LOAD is without a system...

Let's assume the chicken is Cornish. No offense to Corns, but it's the only fact i could find.:$

"A Cornish hen weighs between 1 and 1.1 kg at live weight "(source http://www.chicken.ab.ca/diduknow_trivia.html)

My girlfriend(absolute wonder-genius :)) tells me 1kg is 2.2lbs.

So on the Dropzone.com Wing Load calculator (http://www.dropzone.com/safety/tools/calculator_wing_load.shtml)

2.2 pounds of chicken.. zero pounds of gear and zero sq feet of canopy... yields...

WOW!!

A wing load of "Infinity." :S

Check it yourself.. isn't that interesting. And from the above report, I guess its bad to have an Infinity WingLoad. But a hell of a cool nickname wouldn't you say? B|

---
** Blue Skies, Yellow Mustard. **
It's like a farmer, out-standing in his field.

It's been done.
The following is from memory many years ago in Indiana.

Sex: unknown, too many feathers to tell.
Number of jumps: 1
Time in sport: 1 day
Cause of death: impact
Description:

Deceased exited aircraft at 2000 over the peas.
After initially flapping wings, deceased folded up
wings and made no further effort to flap until impact.
An AAD and a reserve may have prevented this fatality.

System: none
Main: none
Reserve: none
AAD: none
RSL: none

This has got to be LMAO the funniest thing I've seen here yet. My guts hurt.
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

from reading all this i was wondering if you could get an animal to skydive, obviosly would have to be SL - how bout using a chimp or somthing like that cos they,re meant to be good at that sort a stuff. theres a film , i forgot what its called, but tey taught a chimp to ride a half pipe (skateboard) and apparewntly it learnt alot faster than a human cos they dont have the inbuilt fear.