jfields

I recycle...

Just curious what people recycle. The county where I live has a thriving and still growing recycling program. Since it got going, I've noticed an incredible difference. Lots of people (including me) have once-a-week trash pickup instead of twice, and generally over half of our waste gets recycled instead of going into the landfill. I actually had to buy extra recycle bins because we are recycling more than will fit in the one the county provided. The volume of paper, plastic and glass is really pretty incredible.

Re-cycling is pretty big where I live so yeah most of the above.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

tee hee...did anyone else find that scene in Fargo absolutely hilarious? Or am I just going to hell?

:S

Seriously, one thing that really pisses me off about living in NM is we have very few recycling options. Work recycles white paper, but the urban recycling program only takes cardboard, aluminum cans, and plastic. No glass, and no magazines.

Where I used to live in Ohio it was great....they took everything, sorted it for you, made it really easy to recycle.

Of course, it won't really catch on until more people buy more recycled products.

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I thought the scene in Fargo was great.

We can recycle all kinds of paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, steel and aluminum from curbside pickup. We put paper products in one recycle bin and all the other stuff in another. I'm getting ready to buy a third which will handle the overflow. If we go to the local waste transfer facility (10 minutes), we can also recycle tires, batteries, motor oil/transmission fluid, computers and a few other things. They also have a separate place to dispose of things like paint.

Just gives you a warm fuzzy green feeling. And I'm not talking about moldy cheese. :)

I think recycling for a lot of people has to do with convenience. At my old place, they had recycling bins, at this one they don't; so, I see a lot more cans and bottles in the trash.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I recycle beer, put some in me, give me a little time, and I'll have converted it to plant food and grass food. Also, I'll gladly apply the food to grass and plants near me.

My DZ recycles, honestly, I could care less...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I even take it somewhere to recycle. Admittedly it's about 10 minutes away, but it helps me to feel virtuous. The only thing we have curbside recycling of is yard waste.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The curbside pickup of all paper products, glass and cans is provided by the county. Taking the obscure stuff to the transfer station is also free. If you go with a pickup truck, you can get all the free mulch you want, because that is what they do with the yard waste. It isn't top quality, but the price is right.

when i lived in germany they recycle everything just about....... yellow bag this.... glass here... paper product here..... it was madatory and good because they don't have much landfill space... here in utah now they only have paper and plastic......

My roommate up in Canada is from Germany, got me into the recycle program pretty hard core, i think between the 2 of us.......we might have only had 1 small grocery bag of refuse per week.......but now that i'm down in Arizona, I can't believe the amount of stuff that gets tossed out, where i'm currently living, they give you these big recycle garbage bins, yet people are still throwing bottle and cans away.......whatever......

My rant is over........thanks for listening.........D
tongue tied and twisted

I would recycle, but in the town I live it they don't have a program. I'm sorry I'm not going to pack up my trash and take it some place. If they'll pick it up, I'll recycle, not before.

Kinda like our town. There is a recycling program, but it's an extra $15 a month for the service. WTF? I gotta pay more to give you guys pre-sorted items that you can then re-sell? Um, nope.

Oh, besides, what's this 2 times a week trash pickup? We don't recycle at all, have once a week pickup (can't even get twice a week), have a family of six here, and don't even fill the trash can!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1