MochaSkyChick

What was Sosa thinking?!?!

I was laughing my ass off. Actually, they took all his bats as soon as they found the one broken bat was corked. I am wating to see when they post video of the bat boy or another teammate squirrelling away his other bats before they could be confiscated. Actually, if I were the refs, I would take the entire rack and cut them up to see how many were corked. Personally, I don't see why there should be any restrictions whatsoever on bats anyway. It's a stupid rule.

Chuckie

Call me a silly :ph34r:, but why would it be a problem to have cork in your bat? Does it make it more bouncy or something? Easier to swing?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Yup, it is pretty sad. If his other bats are loaded, this will probably stink as much as the Pete Rose thing years back. It will take some crafty PR for him to be anything other than a complete media leper. The other question is will the commissioner take games away from the club that he scored in, if his whole arsenal is loaded.

pick up stixxx, Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Baseball is for wooden bats, no corks, no pine tar, no crying!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
actually, pro baseball its for over-paid fat asses with inflated egos....

Ditto basketball and football. :S

Call me a silly , but why would it be a problem to have cork in your bat? Does it make it more bouncy or something? Easier to swing?

Supposedly you can hit the ball longer with cork in the bat.

it makes the end of the bat lighter and results in higher bat speed, bat speed is the primary factor (assuming you hit the ball correctly) in determining how far the ball will go..

there are two major problems with removing the limits for bat types..one is 'the records' would have to have a before & after division..(some say they should already)

and that the ball parks would have to be redesigned to accommodate them..that would be really pricey, and we all know that team owners dont want to spend their own money for anything..

i'm amazed Sosa was that stupid, or rather that his handlers let him be so stupid. its pretty much tainted all he's "accomplished" in the last few years, even if he wasnt cheating at the time..

i'm amazed Sosa was that stupid, or rather that his handlers let him be so stupid. its pretty much tainted all he's "accomplished" in the last few years, even if he wasnt cheating at the time..

And that sums it up for me. Whatever the outcome of this little "episode" all he has done in his career will for always be tainted.

He claimed to use a cork bat during warm-up to show up for the fans.

i'm sorry, but what a crock - he used the corked bat "once" and it just happened to split and they found the cork - SUUURRRREEEE!

Have you ever watched the Cubs? Seen how many bats Sammy breaks?

If he had been using corked bats all along, it would have been discovered long ago. You had better believe those bats have been looked at by other team's catchers and the umpires quite often.

Sammy simply forked up by using one of his "show" bats in a game. The equipment manager should shoulder some of the blame for having the marked corked bats in Sammy's game rack, but Sammy is taking full responsibility and is quite contrite.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

As much as I love the Cubs, I don't really care for Sosa a whole lot. Even so, I think it was just a stupid mistake on his part. Like Jack said, Sammy breaks a lot of bats. If he had been corking them all for a while, he would have been caught already. At the press conference after the game, he apologized and said that it was his warm-up bat. The officials had already confiscated all of his bats, so he had no reason to lie.