sangiro

Dropzone.com on Alexa.com

Mostly for the techies I guess,

Foobar sent me a link to Dropzone.com on Alexa.com. Pretty cool. It's an Amazon.com company, you can review sites and look at stats collected from users using the Alexa toolbar. (not actual stats)

If you're in the top 100,000 (which we are, somewhere around 75,000) they also track you on a nice little graph and provide other pieces of useless information. ;)

I tried USPA.org and all the other major skydiving sites and couldn't find another one that's in the top 100,000 ... I could have missed one.

Anyway, most interesting to me were the trends in the stats..... :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Well, the futurecam.com web site might not be in the top 100,000, but it's in the top 1,241,000 and I don't even have any post whores -- woohoo!

I'm a little disturbed by my 3 month trend though . . . it appears I'm down 1,117,965 in the last 3 months. Somethings gotta be f'ed up with those stats.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hey that's great to hear bossman.

However, why only one star ?? WTF is up with that ??
There has to be a way for us to give Alexa good reviews of this site.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

There were 3 reviews. 2 gave 5 stars and one gave 1 star. Go figure. I posted a review but it didn't show up.>:( Their site sucks so I'm going to stay here and play.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Well, the futurecam.com web site might not be in the top 100,000, but it's in the top 1,241,000 and I don't even have any post whores -- woohoo!

I'm a little disturbed by my 3 month trend though . . . it appears I'm down 1,117,965 in the last 3 months. Somethings gotta be f'ed up with those stats.

Blame it on shutterfly! (they're getting all the stats off your site!) ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Well, there are many secrets in the universe, and every now and again one of them is solved unexpectedly...

Edited because it would have been deleted otherwise.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

way cool!!

However, looking at the charts, I'm seeing a disturbing trend. It seems that the traffic here drops in half over the weekend.

Very very disturbing.... where would all those people go over the weekend?
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Amazing. Four years ago, during the Internet heyday, I wrote a search engine for a site called why.com. Actually, two of us did the entire site, went down to Silicon Valley to set it up, and watched it run for a year and a half before it got the axe.

It basically allowed you to search for sites, rate the site (scale of 1-5), then get search results by the most popular site. I even wrote a floating toolbar that looks almost identical to the "Alexa toolbar", in terms of functionality.

The funny thing was it was started by three Harvard kids that dropped out of school and got $5 million funding (basically from their parents and their rich friends) and spent most of it on elaborate parties (some of which I got invited to), promotional giveaways and expensive bottles of wine. Then, 18 months later, they realized it was not an economically viable model, stinted us on the bill and closed up shop.

It's interesting to see some concepts repeat themselves.

In reality I think it probably has something more to do with their testing methods and that they probably didn't have accurate data going back that far and if they didn't have accurate data going back that far, then what the heck are they doing showing stats for the last year let alone the last three months.

Something is goofy with their methods -- either that or I'm just not reading them right.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hey Sangiro

If you liked that your gonna love TouchGraph. Enter any URL try www.dropzone.com and watch while it uses the google "related links" feature to draw a network of related sites. Very nice! Also checkout the Amazon browser that does the same thing for books
John Virtual Travelog

Woohoo! My college skydiving club (http://www.umdskydiving.com) is #1 for US skydiving clubs with a ranking of 2,842. Of course their system is a little messed up and the ranking is based on ALL the school's websites, not just the club site. The only review for the site is actually a review for the business school's website. Works for me though...the link still takes ya to our club's site (which I designed) :)
Dave